British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Tell me, the hidden gem is? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/tell-me-hidden-gem-388637/)

Gray C Aug 4th 2006 9:28 am

Tell me, the hidden gem is?

Hi :D

Can anyone tell me where there is a hidden gem of a place in Spain, largely undiscovered by us Brits, that would be a great place to live?

Inland, coastal, up north, down south, village, or town it does not matter.

Cheers

Graham :beer:

Mitzyboy Aug 4th 2006 9:50 am

Re: Tell me, the hidden gem is?

Originally Posted by Gray C
Hi :D

Can anyone tell me where there is a hidden gem of a place in Spain, largely undiscovered by us Brits, that would be a great place to live?

Inland, coastal, up north, down south, village, or town it does not matter.

Cheers

Graham :beer:

If they told you it wouldn't be hidden any more :D

Gray C Aug 4th 2006 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

Ha ha yes I suppose you might be right, nevertheless it would be nice to find a nice little paradise to wind down and get rid of all the stresses of UK living!

lynnxa Aug 4th 2006 8:47 pm

:p

lynnxa Aug 4th 2006 8:49 pm

but seriously..................almost anywhere half an hour or more inland, away from cities

finca steve Aug 5th 2006 8:01 am

Originally Posted by lynnxa
but seriously..................almost anywhere half an hour or more inland, away from cities

Well we are there already and we are not telling you! You will have to check our web site to find out!
Good luck.

Mitzyboy Aug 5th 2006 8:17 am

How stupid of me .... I typed Spain hidden gem into google and I found it for you :D Ironic really isn't it ........ finding Spains hidden gem on google ..... and theres loads of them :D (Most involve riding bikes)

Gray C Aug 5th 2006 9:13 am

Originally Posted by finca steve
Well we are there already and we are not telling you! You will have to check our web site to find out!
Good luck.

Thanks. Had a look at your website, it sounds lovely. We may be interested in a visit sometime soon

Regards

Graham

Mitzyboy Aug 5th 2006 9:27 am

Thanks. Had a look at your website, it sounds lovely. We may be interested in a visit sometime soon

Regards

Graham

Being serious for a moment Graham, we're 6 kms from the coast near Gandia. If we head inland though for maybe 15 kms we find fantastic countryside & lovely little villages, very quite, no brits. So within reason wherever you are if you are happy to travel a little way inland you will find your little bit of peace.
Thats why we settled on where we are .... its not quite so touristy, we're within easy reach of both Alicante & Valencia airport, yet we can be in beautiful vallies and mountains within 15 minutes.

Gray C Aug 5th 2006 9:41 am

Being serious for a moment Graham, we're 6 kms from the coast near Gandia. If we head inland though for maybe 15 kms we find fantastic countryside & lovely little villages, very quite, no brits. So within reason wherever you are if you are happy to travel a little way inland you will find your little bit of peace.
Thats why we settled on where we are .... its not quite so touristy, we're within easy reach of both Alicante & Valencia airport, yet we can be in beautiful vallies and mountains within 15 minutes.

Hi :)

Sounds lovely. As you may have gathered, we would prefer to be off the coast a bit, but not too far inland as I think that our income may not be sufficient and that we may need to find some part time work. We have thought about looking after about half a dozen villas/apartments etc for UK based owners. I know there lots of others doing it, but we only want to generate a top up income and not run a full time business.

We have considered buying an "end of village" property in the area you mention, but have been put off a bit by the land grab law and all the problems with urbanised and non urbanised land. Is this a big problem, or one that can be got around quite easily?

We are a bit out of touch with the Spanish situation as for the past two years we have been concentrating on getting into Canada (wife's first choice as her sister lives there)

Regards

Graham :)

EsuriJohn Aug 5th 2006 12:08 pm

Hi Grey C & Steve,

If you follow the yellow dusters (stone road) you come to paradise. It's got everything, rolling river, tranquility, pool and stimulating hosts.

Regards, ;)

John.

Originally Posted by finca steve
Good luck.

jdr Aug 5th 2006 12:23 pm

I have found it, its in Manchester :D

Mitzyboy Aug 5th 2006 12:24 pm

Sounds lovely. As you may have gathered, we would prefer to be off the coast a bit, but not too far inland as I think that our income may not be sufficient and that we may need to find some part time work. We have thought about looking after about half a dozen villas/apartments etc for UK based owners. I know there lots of others doing it, but we only want to generate a top up income and not run a full time business.

We have considered buying an "end of village" property in the area you mention, but have been put off a bit by the land grab law and all the problems with urbanised and non urbanised land. Is this a big problem, or one that can be got around quite easily?

We are a bit out of touch with the Spanish situation as for the past two years we have been concentrating on getting into Canada (wife's first choice as her sister lives there)

Regards

Well landgrabs still around although the EC have ruled it illegal. It didn't bother me so much because of where and what we bought, but I can appreciate the worry buying an old place in the middle of no where .... however I may be wrong but that effected coastal areas mainly didn't it, where all the building is rife.

I know where theres a finca for Sale near Sax, Alicante for 130 ish thousand euros with land .... one of the moderators on another forum .... let me know if you want the link.

mikelincs Aug 5th 2006 2:42 pm

Regards

Watch out over this, if you do that you will have to be fully registered as a business. There have been recent tales of someone having their house broken into while they were in the UK. The insurance company refused to pay out because the president of their urbanisation had a key and used to check the property every so often, He was the one who informed the police of the break in and told them he had keys. He is now facing prosecution for running and unregistered business, and they have had to replace all stolen items out of their own pocket. They are now having the property looked after by a registered property management company.

Gray C Aug 5th 2006 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Watch out over this, if you do that you will have to be fully registered as a business. There have been recent tales of someone having their house broken into while they were in the UK. The insurance company refused to pay out because the president of their urbanisation had a key and used to check the property every so often, He was the one who informed the police of the break in and told them he had keys. He is now facing prosecution for running and unregistered business, and they have had to replace all stolen items out of their own pocket. They are now having the property looked after by a registered property management company.

Thanks for that info, I must confess I hadn't thought about the insurance side of things. Maybe we would be better tightening our belts and not working at all, I think we can live with that! :D