Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Telephne lines myth in alicante - is this true?

Telephne lines myth in alicante - is this true?

Old Apr 20th 2006, 12:30 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Telephne lines myth in alicante - is this true?

Hi,

My Dad recently moved into a finca on a new urbanisation just outside alicante. His neighbour 200m up the road has a landline, but people have told him he can get a line in , but it takes up to 2 years to get a number .

Is this true, if so is there any way of gettng him hooked up to broad band without a phone line, as we have totally lost or communication now he is there.
Thanks
alk
Old Apr 20th 2006, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Telephne lines myth in alicante - is this true?

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Hi,

My Dad recently moved into a finca on a new urbanisation just outside alicante. His neighbour 200m up the road has a landline, but people have told him he can get a line in , but it takes up to 2 years to get a number .

Is this true, if so is there any way of gettng him hooked up to broad band without a phone line, as we have totally lost or communication now he is there.
Thanks
alk
A few problems here. Finca on a new urbanisation? Not likely.

He cannot get broandband without a phone line. If he's in an urbanisation, surely there is a phone line available?

In the interim, get him to get a pay-as-you-go phone in Spain. They are very cheap and at least it's a way of you staying in contact. Good luck. It will work out in the end.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 2:40 pm
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

his address is finca terol

He has a payg mobile, i wanted to know about the phone lines and whether it takes 2 years to get a number or not, please answer this if you can if not then please dont bother with your corrections off subject about whether its a real finca or not.
Who gives a shit?

And you CAN get 2 way satellite broadband i hAVE FOUND OUT from another HELPFUL expats member.

Hi There,
My Husband is an installer of the 2 way satellite, for broadband internet and telephone.
if you want more details the website is
www.bluestarinternet.net

Last edited by alkristensen; Apr 20th 2006 at 2:45 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

He has a payg mobile, i wanted to know about the phone lines and whether it takes 2 years to get a number or not, please answer this if you can if not then please dont bother with your corrections off subject about whether its a real finca or not.
Who gives a shit?

And you CAN get 2 way satellite broadband i hAVE FOUND OUT from another HELPFUL expats member.

Hi There,
My Husband is an installer of the 2 way satellite, for broadband internet and telephone.
if you want more details the website is
www.bluestarinternet.net
Tsk, tsk, attitude. Don't think the replies you got merited such rudeness. I was going to reply with some additional information, but I'm not sure I give a shit either
Old Apr 20th 2006, 4:51 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Who gives a shit?
To be honest I doubt if anyone gives a shit whether you get any replies or not, but in case anyone else has this problem, then I can say that the info passed on to me was that most new urbanisations have lines connected but there is a waiting list for actual connection, varies with suppler, with regards to sat broadband, fantastic if you have money to burn and don't mind waiting all day to upload an a4 email page.
Chill my friend, life's to short
Kevray
Old Apr 20th 2006, 5:08 pm
Young at heart!!!!!!!!!!!

costablancaAnna is an unknown quantity at this point

with regards to sat broadband, fantastic if you have money to burn and don't mind waiting all day to upload an a4 email page.

We have satellite broadband. and yes it is expensive to buy, But the prices have gone down considerably since we bought ours ,only 2 years ago
We use the internet everyday and my husband uses it for his business as a Web designer and we cant tell any difference in upload speed to back in the UK .
Old Apr 20th 2006, 5:47 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Originally Posted by costablancaAnna
with regards to sat broadband, fantastic if you have money to burn and don't mind waiting all day to upload an a4 email page.

We have satellite broadband. and yes it is expensive to buy, But the prices have gone down considerably since we bought ours ,only 2 years ago
We use the internet everyday and my husband uses it for his business as a Web designer and we cant tell any difference in upload speed to back in the UK .
My cousin who lives near Gerona,had satellite broadband, he was very unimpressed as it cost a fortune to install, was expensive each month and was very slow uploading. However, I take your point that things may have improved, but satellite technology dictates that speeds uploading and downloading are going to be very different. And as he now has "real" broadband he can tell the difference. Especially with voice over internet protocol (VOIP)
Old Apr 20th 2006, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by kevray
My cousin who lives near Gerona,had satellite broadband, he was very unimpressed as it cost a fortune to install, was expensive each month and was very slow uploading. However, I take your point that things may have improved, but satellite technology dictates that speeds uploading and downloading are going to be very different. And as he now has "real" broadband he can tell the difference. Especially with voice over internet protocol (VOIP)
Ditto my brother and he had it recently installed, Kevray. Expensive and slow, with often frequent packet loss. He wishes now that he had stayed with his previous solution.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 10:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Unexpat
Tsk, tsk, attitude. Don't think the replies you got merited such rudeness. I was going to reply with some additional information, but I'm not sure I give a shit either
What i meant was that i dont give a shit if he is in a finca or not, why bother correcting me and not actually answering my original question.

My question didnt deserve his answer, that s why i reacted so.

Ask a simple question!!
Old Apr 20th 2006, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of

What i meant was that i dont give a shit if he is in a finca or not, why bother correcting me and not actually answering my original question.

My question didnt deserve his answer, that s why i reacted so.

Ask a simple question!!
It was certainly not my intention to anger you so. I was just a little startled about a finca on a new urbanisation - I didn't realise it was the house name.

People have pointed out to you that your father can have broadband with a satellite connection. Or, possibly, a pay-as-you-go mobile phone.

People tend to reply in good faith on this site, and I'm sorry that you took such offence to my reply earlier. I did wish you good luck, genuinely, in it, but I admit that I wondered if you were not entirely aware of the situation, given your finca comment.

That notwithstanding, I hope you find a solution to this.

Meanwhile, try not to get so angry!
Old Apr 21st 2006, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Why not go to an internet cafe or whatever they are called here. I am sure there must be one quite close, they are probably more popular here than I have seen in the UK and I live away from the expat populaton. I would have thought that was a easy option until the phone is sorted.

pwwm
Old Apr 21st 2006, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

kpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nice

Originally Posted by kevray
I believe there are two types of Satellite Broadband. When it was first launched (pardon the pun), you downloaded from the satellite at broadband speeds and uploaded via a phone line at modem (or ISDN) speeds. Now there is another option where you upload to the satellite as well as downloading, so the uplload speed is much better. However, in the UK you need a radio broadcast licence for this system (don't know about Spain). The cost of this satellite system seems to be about €1500 to install and €100 per month (in the UK anyway)

My view is that Satellite systems are a short term solution. The cost of 3G wireless data services are reducing all the time and that will in the long term make satellite much less viable unless you really do need high speed internet (eg web designers as mentioned above)

Regards
Kevin
Old Apr 21st 2006, 10:53 am
Banned

Originally Posted by un-mundo
It was certainly not my intention to anger you so. I was just a little startled about a finca on a new urbanisation - I didn't realise it was the house name.

People have pointed out to you that your father can have broadband with a satellite connection. Or, possibly, a pay-as-you-go mobile phone.

People tend to reply in good faith on this site, and I'm sorry that you took such offence to my reply earlier. I did wish you good luck, genuinely, in it, but I admit that I wondered if you were not entirely aware of the situation, given your finca comment.

That notwithstanding, I hope you find a solution to this.

Meanwhile, try not to get so angry!

Thanks and sorry, he uses internet caes on a friday but his nearest one is miles away, he is up in the mountains near tibi so nearest town(tibi) is 4 miles away. Ill email hom all the good info i have found today as he goes on a friday to the cafe. I suppose that im so used to going online anytime and him being there, plus when i move to oz next year it will seem further still, so i wanted to know if there was a waiting time for telepone numbers if you get connected(this is only what he has heard.) Im willing to pay for his broadband and telephone line as he is retired now.

Im sorry that it sounded angry, it always gets taken out of context on this site, the "who gives a shit" was said with a raised eyebrows as it wasnt what id asked about and sorry if it was a bit abrupt. Ive been on this site for a while now, mainly in trhe oz sction and you get some people just putting things for arguments sake.

Im genuinely sorry if i offended anyone but its what i have come to expect from answers from people in the past and id had enough on the oz forum with all the trolls and shit stirrers and i mistook you for one of those.

And to cap it all im trying to give up smoking so i apologise, and thanks for the support.

Ill get me coat!
alk
Old Apr 21st 2006, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alk

Hope all this helps, as you will see we are a nice friendly forum had one or two hiccups recently but all in all.

Good luck with the smoning, my other half stopped 7 weeks ago and now say it is much easier.
Hope your father gets sorted asap as I found lack of internet quite difficult when we first moved out.

pwwm
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks and sorry, he uses internet caes on a friday but his nearest one is miles away, he is up in the mountains near tibi so nearest town(tibi) is 4 miles away. Ill email hom all the good info i have found today as he goes on a friday to the cafe. I suppose that im so used to going online anytime and him being there, plus when i move to oz next year it will seem further still, so i wanted to know if there was a waiting time for telepone numbers if you get connected(this is only what he has heard.) Im willing to pay for his broadband and telephone line as he is retired now.

Im sorry that it sounded angry, it always gets taken out of context on this site, the "who gives a shit" was said with a raised eyebrows as it wasnt what id asked about and sorry if it was a bit abrupt. Ive been on this site for a while now, mainly in trhe oz sction and you get some people just putting things for arguments sake.

Im genuinely sorry if i offended anyone but its what i have come to expect from answers from people in the past and id had enough on the oz forum with all the trolls and shit stirrers and i mistook you for one of those.

And to cap it all im trying to give up smoking so i apologise, and thanks for the support.

Ill get me coat!
alk
No worries, alk, we all sometimes misread a comment made online!

Rather than spend a fortune on satellite broadband, why not buy him a pay-as-you-go mobile and bank up a few hundred quid on it, so that he can call you if he needs you and you can always call him whenever you want to? That would surely be the cheapest and most straightforward short-term option.

I can understand that moving to Australia and feeling that you can't get in touch with your father (nor him with you) would be a very alarming thought.

Anyway, I hope you get it sorted out satisfactorily. And good luck with the smoking thing; you're braver than me, I know how grumpy I would be if I even tried!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.