British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Telefonica Movistar (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/telefonica-movistar-891196/)

danielspaniel11234 Feb 6th 2017 11:38 am

Telefonica Movistar

Hi I live near Villamartin and want to check packages with these companies. I know they are linked. I've tried googling, can someone please tell me which site is best to look on, preferably in English. I can't yet get fibre optic but want to check adsl packages.
Thanks
Daniel

snikpoh Feb 6th 2017 12:04 pm

Re: Telefonica Movistar

They are the same company - try movistar.es

danielspaniel11234 Feb 7th 2017 5:03 pm

Thanks. I can't get fibre optic where I am near Villamartin. Do you have an opinion on which company offers the best adsl internet in Spain particularly in the Costa Blanca area?

snikpoh Feb 7th 2017 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by danielspaniel11234 (Post 12173608)
Thanks. I can't get fibre optic where I am near Villamartin. Do you have an opinion on which company offers the best adsl internet in Spain particularly in the Costa Blanca area?

If you are in the town, then movistar are excellent as they own all the copper wire.

You may be able to get a better speed with a WiMax service specific to your area.

danielspaniel11234 Feb 7th 2017 5:38 pm

WiMAX requires dish doesn't it if I can't get fibre optic ?

snikpoh Feb 8th 2017 9:53 am

WiMax does require a dish but they are about 8" in diameter - really small. In fact, some companies use a 'squarial' which is about 8" x 2"

Loafing Along Feb 8th 2017 10:02 am

Originally Posted by danielspaniel11234 (Post 12173608)

It is worth doing an Internet search for "Fibra optica Villamartin" as today there are several smaller operators who are much more agile than Movistar and will do local installations. Along the Costa del Sol at least half a dozen companies now offer fibre optic, home telephone and even mobile services. I am sure there will be a few near where you live, unless you are just too far out of town.

mikelincs Feb 8th 2017 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Loafing Along (Post 12174202)
It is worth doing an Internet search for "Fibra optica Villamartin" as today there are several smaller operators who are much more agile than Movistar and will do local installations. Along the Costa del Sol at least half a dozen companies now offer fibre optic, home telephone and even mobile services. I am sure there will be a few near where you live, unless you are just too far out of town.

But these people will have to use the Movistar lines, and if they aren't fibre optic then there is no use in getting other people to install a system.

Loafing Along Feb 8th 2017 10:54 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12174209)
But these people will have to use the Movistar lines, and if they aren't fibre optic then there is no use in getting other people to install a system.

No, not necessarily. The independent operators on the Costa del Sol have put in their own lines, quite separate. We ended up with two separate cables into the house, traditional Movistar copper through one route and a new fibre optic cable through another route. Only had to pay a connection fee not for all the cabling.

Fred James Feb 8th 2017 11:18 am

I can confirm that. A friend is president of a large urb in Nerja and he told me that there were currently three companies installing fibre.

snikpoh Feb 8th 2017 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 12174268)
I can confirm that. A friend is president of a large urb in Nerja and he told me that there were currently three companies installing fibre.

My son has also been installing fibre optic lines here in our town (his practicas for university work) as part of a private company. Goodness knows when Movistar will get around to it.

MikeJ Feb 9th 2017 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 12174268)

That's intriguing. Whilst I can understand that independents could install the local loop (Cabinet to Premises) is FOTC (Fibre Optic to Cabinet) widespread? and if not where do the local loops link into the main infrastructure highways? - and if that's not fibre then are you really much better off? Isn't Telefonica still responsible for the national network? Or is that mostly fibre now?

Loafing Along Feb 9th 2017 8:20 am

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 12175093)
That's intriguing. Whilst I can understand that independents could install the local loop (Cabinet to Premises) is FOTC (Fibre Optic to Cabinet) widespread? and if not where do the local loops link into the main infrastructure highways? - and if that's not fibre then are you really much better off? Isn't Telefonica still responsible for the national network? Or is that mostly fibre now?

Around our area on the Costa the independents took their own routes, mainly along the drains to get to our community. Once in the community again separate route from existing Movistar cabling. Not sure where they connected into the main infrastructure highway but definitely a huge leap from Movistar 3 Mega copper to various packages 30 up to 200 depending on what you want to pay