Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Telefonica ADSL Speed

View Poll Results: What Telefonica speed are you getting?
Located Cadiz/Malaga provence Speed Normal
10.00%
Located Cadiz/Malaga provence Speed slow
30.00%
Located other provence Speed Normal
20.00%
Located other provence Speed Slow
40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Telefonica ADSL Speed

Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:12 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telefonica ADSL Speed

Three years back I was on dial up & for about 6 months had a lot of problems with speed (virtually none) and dropping the connection.
I was always dialing 1004 to report this & often saw the technicians replacing lines/checking junctions boxes on the posts etc.
I told them that the line into the house was ancient & this could be the problem so they changed this, and by now of course I was getting to know the lads quite well. I was in the village one morning & stopped to talk to one of them who was working in one of the big steel junction boxes that you see on the pavements, he was pretty sure that the issue was in there & said that he was going to change at least half of the boards in the box (about 1km from our place)
Ever since we have never had an issue & have of course switched to ADSL, so keep dialing that number as they are all logged.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

East of Malaga.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Fracman has a spectacular aura aboutFracman has a spectacular aura aboutFracman has a spectacular aura about

I have recently purchased a Movistar 3G dongle, excellent speed in and out.
My Finca is some 23kms due North of Malaga with an elevation of 630m, for years I have been using a Telefonica Trac phone which had a maximum speed of 53.2kbs, , Living the dream has just got so much better thanks to the dongle.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 2:49 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fracman
http://www.speedtest.net/result/944929284.png

My Finca is some 23kms due North of Malaga with an elevation of 630m, for years I have been using a Telefonica Trac phone which had a maximum speed of 53.2kbs, , Living the dream has just got so much better thanks to the dongle.
Your download is bad, but your upload is high compared to mine.

Old Sep 8th 2010, 3:40 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

As JDR said, there is something wrong there.

0.12mb is only twice as fast as your old TRAC connection. It should be at least 10x faster than you are getting and possibly even more.

Upload speeds aren't too important - it's download speed you need.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Fracman has a spectacular aura aboutFracman has a spectacular aura aboutFracman has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Fred,

Just tried it again, little change from this morning, not sure if I can change a setting to improve the speeds, however it does feel so much faster than Trac.

Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:11 pm
Living in NW Galicia

Brano77 is an unknown quantity at this point

We also have a Movistar dongle. The area we live in does not have 3G, so for the time being we are stuck with GPRS. We have added an external panel antenna which helps with signal strength. Prior to the antenna speeds of less than 10Kbits/sec were the norm and above 20Kbits/sec warranted opening a bottle of wine. With the antenna, speeds of above 50Kbits/sec are the norm and the whole house shakes!!

What does M stand for?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

My understanding of M = Mega, or Megabytes, interested in your external panel, can you share any details re brand name and place / company you purchased it from ?
Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:18 am
Living in NW Galicia

Brano77 is an unknown quantity at this point

My understanding of M = Mega, or Megabytes, interested in your external panel, can you share any details re brand name and place / company you purchased it from ?
Sorry - the question on M was a poor attempt at sarcasm as I can only dream of the speeds that are being talked about.

Re the attenna check out:

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/blog/2009...ange-extended/

which has lots of useful info.

This may also be of interest/help as it will explain our particular situation.

http://forums.mobilefun.co.uk/topic/...strength-gain/
Old Sep 9th 2010, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Brano,

No problem, thanks for the links, just tried the laptop in the garden, my 3G signal bar went to full 5 bars, will definatley look at installing an exterior aerial.
BTW, drove through your region of Spain a couple of weeks ago, have to say it was so beautiful