Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Telefonica ADSL line speeds

Telefonica ADSL line speeds

Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:26 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telefonica ADSL line speeds

Originally Posted by Jaycee62
How did your speed get better jdr. I have the same problem as Rocky. I`ve just upgraded from 512 to 3 meg. Did it just speed up on its own gradually ?

John
I started at 512 then it went to 1Mb, then some areas were advertising up 3Mb.
When I enquired they said not available but we are working on it, since then it has gone up slowly for free, I said I loved their service in one of the threads . ;-))
Usually around this...
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:39 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaycee62
How did your speed get better jdr. I have the same problem as Rocky. I`ve just upgraded from 512 to 3 meg. Did it just speed up on its own gradually ?

John
When we were upgraded automatically from 1mb to 3mb the speed trebled immediately. We now test out at 2.6mb/s which is about as a 3mb connection can go.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 2:14 am
Run Forrest, Run.....

Rocky Balboa is on a distinguished road

Mine has been a little more reliable in the last few days but still gets the odd period where it becomes very slow, downloading email files in Bytes isn't much fun. My previous ISP used the same tel line and never had this problem.

Somebody suggested using a wireless company called Fonetica as the have a transmitter behind the CDS Hospital but the installation fee's are pretty high and I've no idea how reliable these wireless ISP's are. Also there top speed service is what I'm already getting now even though I'm paying for 3mb and Telefonica tell me I should be getting that speed.

Old Jan 15th 2008, 2:25 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rocky Balboa
Mine has been a little more reliable in the last few days but still gets the odd period where it becomes very slow, downloading email files in Bytes isn't much fun. My previous ISP used the same tel line and never had this problem.

Somebody suggested using a wireless company called Fonetica as the have a transmitter behind the CDS Hospital but the installation fee's are pretty high and I've no idea how reliable these wireless ISP's are. Also there top speed service is what I'm already getting now even though I'm paying for 3mb and Telefonica tell me I should be getting that speed.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/222467678.png
Can you email them the speedtests and let them see what you are getting at various times?.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 3:57 am
Run Forrest, Run.....

Rocky Balboa is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jdr
Can you email them the speedtests and let them see what you are getting at various times?.

Not that I'm aware of. I read somewhere else that when a customer emailed them with a problem they replied and told them to call the Madrid number as tech support doesn't respond to emails.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 1:02 am
Just Joined

Mark N Johnson is an unknown quantity at this point

OK so does anyone else have such a bad performance as this...what can be done anyone?

MJ
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:21 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't say what the "official" speed is.

Your upload speeds are a joke and the ping is pretty high. The download speed is better than you would expect from a 1mb connection. Don't forget that the figures you are showing are the download speeds in kbytes/s. The connection speed is in mbits/s.

My 3mb/s connection records a download speed of 2600mb/s and an upload speed of 260mb/s which is about as high as you can practically expect due to overheads.

I have had serious line problems but they just resulted in the connection dropping out when the weather was windy but the speed was always OK. After about 5 visits they replaced 500m of overhead cable and now it's fine.

About the only choice you have is to call the ADSL "help" line on 902 357000 and get them to test it out. If they find it is not performing they will send an engineer to test out your router and connections. If they find a line fault then they will get the normal line guys involved.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 4:30 am
Just Joined

Mark N Johnson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi the official speed is supposed to be 1mps with upload of 300kbs i think...but my router shows 3mbs down and 300 up!

MNJ
Old Feb 26th 2008, 4:37 am

Unless there are local restrictions or you are on one of the "mini" options, the normal speed is now 3mb/s down with everyone on 300mb/s up.

You are certainly getting more than 1mb/s up so the most likely case will be the normal 3/300 service.

It's very odd that the upload is affected more than the download.

Time to make that wonderful, uplifting call to the helpline.

I hope you have a Telefonica router.
Old May 7th 2008, 9:46 am
Just Joined

reebok is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,i'm new here and i have a question.. Yesterdey i up my internet of DUO 3 MB ADSL at DUO 10 MB ADSL but the upload speed is the same,so the question is : How i can to up my upload speed?

Thanks,

reebok

Last edited by reebok; May 7th 2008 at 10:00 am.
Old May 7th 2008, 10:11 am

You can't. It's fixed at 300kb/s for all the offerings.
Old May 7th 2008, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

reebok is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, but i can take more money about 10-15 euros for the upload speed,do not they want 10 euros more.. I want only 5 mb upload - 5.000 : 8 = 625 kb/s .. . If i call to the operator and tell it this,do he/she up my upload speed