Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Telefonica ADSL line speeds

Telefonica ADSL line speeds

Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:54 pm
Run Forrest, Run.....

Rocky Balboa is on a distinguished road
Default Telefonica ADSL line speeds

Is there any particular reason why my line speeds fluctuate so much as I'm having a nightmare trying to get any sense out of Telefonica?

One minute I can get 1.5mb and the next I'm down to a computer stopping 5kps!

This morning it's been unbearable but they tell me it's not a problem at their end and it must be my computer settings :curse:

I've only been with them a week and I'm begining to think it's the worst thing I've done since moving here. From start to finish it's been lie after lie with these people and I'm not sure how much more I can take.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:58 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telefonica ADSL line speeds

Originally Posted by Rocky Balboa
Is there any particular reason why my line speeds fluctuate so much as I'm having a nightmare trying to get any sense out of Telefonica?

This morning it's been unbearable but they tell me it's not a problem at their end and it must be my computer settings :curse:

I've only been with them a week and I'm begining to think it's the worst thing I've done since moving here. From start to finish it's been lie after lie with these people and I'm not sure how much more I can take.
As any other provider will have to use the Telefonica lines, then I suspect that it is unlikely that you will get better speeds using a land line. Maybe we have just been lucky, but so far (fingers etc crossed) we have had NO problems with Telefonica either dial up, ADSL or normal telephone calls.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:37 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I started with 512 but gradually it has got better..

Old Jan 10th 2008, 3:00 pm
Run Forrest, Run.....

I'm happy with the speed when it's there, the best I've had is just over 1.5mb but it's so hit and miss, I just don't know from one day to next whether I'll be able to use the internet which I need 12 hours every day.

My previous ISP before I switched never had these problems but the line speed was only around .5mb, I just want a straight answer from them but it seems impossible.

They told me before to switch my router off as they could see it hadn't been turned off since the 24th Dec, trouble is they only installed their ADSL on the 3rd Jan and I switch the router off every night!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 3:05 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

My internet was being a bit hit and miss last night actually. Dont know how its been today as havnt used it yet (im at work) Im in Estepona.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 3:44 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I think the real problem is how many others are using the line. Of an evening more people will be using it so there is less width to go around and the speed will drop.

I find the best time is mid morning.

(or am I talking c..p?)
Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:02 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I think the real problem is how many others are using the line. Of an evening more people will be using it so there is less width to go around and the speed will drop.

I find the best time is mid morning.

(or am I talking c..p?)
Like you say, Telefonica sell 10,000,000 lines but hope not everyone will use them at the same time as they only have the power to run 7,000,000 of them.
Try using the phone on a bank holiday. lol
Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:06 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

We have a Telefonica 3mb/s ADSL connection.

We have had some problems with the line disconnecting occasionally but I think this is a physical problem with the actual line in high winds as we are in the campo.

Apart from that we have never registered less than 2.6mb on the various speed tests.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:34 pm
Click my Signature

sjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fred James
We have a Telefonica 3mb/s ADSL connection.

We have had some problems with the line disconnecting occasionally but I think this is a physical problem with the actual line in high winds as we are in the campo.

Apart from that we have never registered less than 2.6mb on the various speed tests.
We use the local wifi access from alfonso up the road.
Regularly get 3 meg plus, so when you're used to half a meg in birmingham on BT ADSL then its $$%&**!! fast.
BTW the reason we had the wifi access is that telefonica will not connect our lines for at least two years. So they have done themselves out of at least one customer - skype and skype-in/out means we can do without.
The only down sides are when Alfonso has a problem and he "sits on it" meaning he gets down to putting it right asap, and the fact that I cannot run a server over it. But I am still happy with a fast connection.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 12:05 pm
Run Forrest, Run.....

It's been the same again today, it's always dog slow of a morning and then gradually speeds up as the day progresses, looks like a definate pattern is emerging but Telefonica won't have it.

It's the same old "switch your router and anti virus off" nonsense :curse:

I think my only option is to install a second line and then try another ISP on it and if it's ok then cancel the older line, although that could well open me up to a whole world of pain if they cut off the wrong line. Some days I wondered why I ever bothered moving here.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 12:29 pm
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

It's been the same again today, it's always dog slow of a morning and then gradually speeds up as the day progresses, looks like a definate pattern is emerging but Telefonica won't have it.

Thats because people are working online in the morning and as the am passes they get all tired and revert to siesta speed.

Then three hour lunch, things improve, then they come back to work for 2 hrs.

Chill its Spain, thats what they do.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 3:33 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

It's the same old "switch your router and anti virus off" nonsense :curse:

I think my only option is to install a second line and then try another ISP on it and if it's ok then cancel the older line, although that could well open me up to a whole world of pain if they cut off the wrong line. Some days I wondered why I ever bothered moving here.
Any other ISP will use Telefonica line so you could get double trouble.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

gudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the rough

If you are lucky you may have a faulty DSL router. I suggest you call Telefonica and insist they "open a service ticket for you". A technician will show up at your place and will check your line. They'll charge for that if it's your fault. They should not charge for a new router if it's under guarantee. The number of users does not affect your bit rate which is measured only along your own land line between your router and the central office.

There are other reasons why a DSL line is too slow. Here are some of them:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/258

Last edited by gudes; Jan 11th 2008 at 6:46 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:52 am
Just Joined

robert926 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gudes
If you are lucky you may have a faulty DSL router. I suggest you call Telefonica and insist they "open a service ticket for you". A technician will show up at your place and will check your line. They'll charge for that if it's your fault. They should not charge for a new router if it's under guarantee. The number of users does not affect your bit rate which is measured only along your own land line between your router and the central office.

There are other reasons why a DSL line is too slow. Here are some of them:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/258
Hi I have the same problem here in Marbella and I am glad to hear that I’m not the only one, because I thought that I have some kind of back in my system. After setting up my computer twice I called telefonica two times and both times I got the same answer, they told me that they have some problems in different areas in Spain, mainland and some off the Islands but that there technical people working on it. The problem for me started around Christmas and that is now 3weeks must be something big???? As of the speed, when we moved in to the apartment they told us that we can have 3mb but then when we got connected it was between 0.5 and 1 we had telefonica come out 3 times and nothing, then we got someone private and he found out that the problem was the line, inside the complex, from the telefonica hub to the apartment, the distance {around 130 meter} was too long for the line what was used by the builder. After we replaced the line it worked great 3mb+ until around 3week ago. I don’t think there is a lot we can do just keep calling them and working on maybe get a month or so free thins it is there problem.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 9:22 am
Just Joined

Jaycee62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
I started with 512 but gradually it has got better..

http://www.speedtest.net/result/220603686.png
How did your speed get better jdr. I have the same problem as Rocky. I`ve just upgraded from 512 to 3 meg. Did it just speed up on its own gradually ?

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.