Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Telefonica ADSL antivirus problem

Telefonica ADSL antivirus problem

Old Nov 16th 2008, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Negada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really nice
Default Telefonica ADSL antivirus problem

I have 6MB Telefonica ADSL and have problems accessing and sending emails from my AOL account. I've been told that it might be due to the antivirus filter that Telefonica use. How can I get rid of the antivirus? The Technical Assistance people are clueless and keep passing me from one "technico" to another. Anyone out there with the same problem?
Old Nov 16th 2008, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telefonica ADSL antivirus problem

Originally Posted by Negada
I have 6MB Telefonica ADSL and have problems accessing and sending emails from my AOL account. I've been told that it might be due to the antivirus filter that Telefonica use. How can I get rid of the antivirus? The Technical Assistance people are clueless and keep passing me from one "technico" to another. Anyone out there with the same problem?
Is it a .co.uk or .com account? Have you ever managed to do it?
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:04 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Negada

To remove all unwanted programmes and bits that were left behind download CC as shown below it used to be called crap cleaner. I have used it for about 2 years and never had a problem. If you go to Add/Remove in your window control panel if the Anti Virus programme is shown then just remove it from there,Then run crap cleaner to take away the odd bit left behind. However it may be bundled with the Telefonica/AOL software in which case you will have to remove it, Then when reloading do not let the software load itself as it will include the problem Anti-virus do a manual install it should show you an either or box re the manual download. You can also put in google the name of your anti virus ie Telefonica anti virus removal and see what the nerds who know better than I suggest. I would in any event download and install crap cleaner which is Free, And on your first wipe just see how much hard drive you claim back. Just tick all the boxes it will do it all for you. "Ay-Thang-Yew"

http://www.telefonica.es/cr2007/rc20...idden-115.html

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Last edited by poshnbucks; Nov 16th 2008 at 11:11 am.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Negada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really nice

Thank you for your reply. This is the scenario:

I have the 6MB duo ADSL and all national landline calls package. We received the Router Monopuerto on 14th October and hooked up accordingly. However, the Installation CD-Rom would not stay up on our laptop screen long enough to follow the configuation of data procedure so we were not able to enter [email protected] and other data. Every time I mentioned this to Telefonica it was dismissed as not being of importance. So, if this is the case, then why do they deliver it with the router?

Since 14th October, I've been able to access the internet but have not been able to access and send emails from our AOL, Hotmail and Yahoo accounts. After many, many frustrating and pointless conversations with Telefonica's Technical Service, I employed an independent technician who hasn't solved the problem either. At first, he blamed viruses and wiped and reinstalled the whole shebang and still we had the same situation with the email accounts although Yahoo seems to be better these last couple of days.

The weird thing is: the technician tested the ADSL speed and that was fine and he plugged in his own laptop to my internet and he could quickly access my AOL account whereas on my laptop I still have the problem. Then he took my laptop to a local internet cafe and to his home and he says that he got through to AOL quickly!!! Confused, moi??

Now that he's covered all the bases he says that the Telefonica anti-virus is blocking the email accounts. Since I posted on here earlier today, my son and I went to telefonicaonline.com and he had a 40 minute "chat" with one of their people to try to resolve our email problem. Guess what - she told us that we do not have a Telefonica anti-virus on our ADSL. So we're right back where we started. All advice would be welcome. Thanks.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 12:18 pm

Change provider
Old Nov 16th 2008, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Can you access other pages OK?

Are you trying to send/receive email via the websites or are you using a mail program? Some ISPs, and I believe Telefonica is one, block one of the ports commonly used as default in such progs. It's easy to change, if that's the problem.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 12:33 pm

Tell me all how you got on with c.cleaner download above.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

We can access pages on all websites without any problem. Our only problem is to access email accounts on websites e.g. hotmail.com and aol.co.uk and aol.com and to send emails. My email account on yahoo.co.uk seems to be better these last two days. For example, this morning, I managed to send a long email via the Yahoo website whereas the AOL website took ages and then instructed me to try again.

What port is affected and how would we open it? Thanks.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
Tell me all how you got on with c.cleaner download above.
I'm waiting for my son to go through the procedure you outlined (I'm such a technophobe!) and I'll let you know. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

The port is only a problem if you're using a mail program and it's only a problem for sending, not receiving, as afar as I know.

Most programs use by default port 25 for sending mail in the smtp settings.

You can change this - Yahoo recommends in its help pages using 587, which I do, and it works.

If you think this might be the problem, you need to change the settings in your mail program. Try looking for accounts, properties, configuaration for starters, but it'll vary depending which program you use.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 12:40 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

See if you can get your mail on here. Mail2web
Old Nov 16th 2008, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

It's a port problem in your routers setup, but I have cvisitors, so will be back later!
Old Nov 16th 2008, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

I wait with anticipation, Tim! When you come back please try to explain in simple terms because I am not technically minded and I get the feeling that my son is out of his depth on this one, too....Thanks.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

I have been having trouble with e-mail via telefonica as well. Every now and again my Norton anti-virus reports that the mail has been refused by the server. I don't have telefonicas av installed but my bill shows that I am charged 5.80euros for "pack seguridad total residencial" and 1.60 euros for "pack seguridad PC (anti virus + anti-intrusos)" I'm not sure but I suspect these packs are filtering outgoing mail, possibly blocking mail suspected of being spam. This is a pain for me as I regularly send the same mail to several addresses at once. saves send the same info to family and friends in individual mails.
I never asked for these packs and will be telling telefonica to remove them. My own security has been good enough before and this feels like telefonica just adding to the bill