Reload this Page >

Teaching English in Spain

Teaching English in Spain

Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

jwellington88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching English in Spain

Hello,

I'm thinking of moving to Spain in 2 years and would like some advice please! I'm currently studying primary education in the UK and will be undertaking a TEFL course with the intention of moving to Spain for a year, but maybe longer. I'm just about to enter my third and final year of my degree and intend to complete my first year teaching here in order to achieve QTS, hence the 2 year wait.

Does anyone know of the job situation with regards to English teachers and/or primary teachers in English schools? Furthermore, where do I start looking for jobs?

Also, I have a 4 year old daughter who is starting school here this September and has been having Spanish lessons for about a year now. The main reason for moving to Spain develop the language beyond what can be achieved in weekly lessons. As I haven't researched a great deal, any advice about education for daughter would be gratefully recieved.

Many thanks for your time

Joanne
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:20 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching English in Spain

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 9th 2012, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jwellington88
Does anyone know of the job situation with regards to English teachers and/or primary teachers in English schools? Furthermore, where do I start looking for jobs?

There is always a demand for English teachers in Spain. The pay isn't brilliant, but this simply reflects the cost of living here. If you have a degree, you don't even need a TEFL qualification (although, obviously this will help). Many Spanish people see English as an extra qualification in their hunt for work during crisis, so are prepared to invest.

If you are looking at teaching at primary level specifically I suggest you look at the Britsh Council website. Get a gig with them and you get the best of both worlds - Spanish holidays with British pay and benefits.

You will have no trouble at all just turning up and finding work in any Spanish city. Simply hand in a C.V. at every English language school you find advertised.

Rates of pay vary from €7/hour to €15/hour with private language schools. Personally, I would recommend trying the British Council route firstly. A salary with benefits and UK NI etc still being paid would be more than just a safe bonus.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 6:14 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer
There is always a demand for English teachers in Spain. The pay isn't brilliant, but this simply reflects the cost of living here. If you have a degree, you don't even need a TEFL qualification (although, obviously this will help). Many Spanish people see English as an extra qualification in their hunt for work during crisis, so are prepared to invest.

If you are looking at teaching at primary level specifically I suggest you look at the Britsh Council website. Get a gig with them and you get the best of both worlds - Spanish holidays with British pay and benefits.

You will have no trouble at all just turning up and finding work in any Spanish city. Simply hand in a C.V. at every English language school you find advertised.

Rates of pay vary from €7/hour to €15/hour with private language schools. Personally, I would recommend trying the British Council route firstly. A salary with benefits and UK NI etc still being paid would be more than just a safe bonus.
You make it sound so easy but I know a lot of mums who work in language schools and usually the hours are not compatible with their childrens timetables, ie usually lessons are held in the evening.
So childcare might have to be paid for.

Also the pay rate of up to 15 euros an hour sounds attractive, but as most lessons in language schools are at the same time in the evenings, they usually have to employ multiple teachers working only a couple of hours a day each.

Also depending on the time of year, staff vacancies are already filled at the start of term.

If a language school has vacancies outside the normal "recruiting time" there is usually issues, ie low pay and conditions.

Your sugesstion about the British Council would be the best, as having a job beforehand is a lot more important with children in tow.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 6:27 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
You make it sound so easy but I know a lot of mums who work in language schools and usually the hours are not compatible with their childrens timetables, ie usually lessons are held in the evening.
So childcare might have to be paid for.

Also the pay rate of up to 15 euros an hour sounds attractive, but as most lessons in language schools are at the same time in the evenings, they usually have to employ multiple teachers working only a couple of hours a day each.

Also depending on the time of year, staff vacancies are already filled at the start of term.

If a language school has vacancies outside the normal "recruiting time" there is usually issues, ie low pay and conditions.

Your sugesstion about the British Council would be the best, as having a job beforehand is a lot more important with children in tow.
all true - & the OP asked for info about teaching in English primary schools - so, International schools - a degree would be essential for that

I teach privately - not so very much English these days, but the principal is the same

I used to work for an academy - the academy going rate of pay around here was 10€ an hour - whether one to one or groups - I'm much better off working for myself

A lot of my classes are to adults, so I manage to timetable a lot of those while my girls are at school - but I also teach teens, so their classes are after school - so my girls are also home - & some of my students are also lucky enough to work, so I do their classes in the evenings until 9pm or later- 3 evenings at the moment but it's looking like I'll be doing at least one more & I've been asked for a Saturday morning, too

I work quite a lot of hours - & a lot of my classes are groups so command quite a high hourly rate - I've also been building this business for several years............ we get by

my girls are teens though, so I can leave them in the evenings - if they were little it wouldn't be possible to work the hours I do
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
all true - & the OP asked for info about teaching in English primary schools - so, International schools - a degree would be essential for that

I teach privately - not so very much English these days, but the principal is the same

I used to work for an academy - the academy going rate of pay around here was 10€ an hour - whether one to one or groups - I'm much better off working for myself

A lot of my classes are to adults, so I manage to timetable a lot of those while my girls are at school - but I also teach teens, so their classes are after school - so my girls are also home - & some of my students are also lucky enough to work, so I do their classes in the evenings until 9pm or later- 3 evenings at the moment but it's looking like I'll be doing at least one more & I've been asked for a Saturday morning, too

I work quite a lot of hours - & a lot of my classes are groups so command quite a high hourly rate - I've also been building this business for several years............ we get by

my girls are teens though, so I can leave them in the evenings - if they were little it wouldn't be possible to work the hours I do
Lynnxa. When you're teaching groups, how do you charge? I've been asked to teach English so often in our pueblo I've finally relented and have one single student who I charge 10 euros an hour. I'm quite busy at my 'proper job' but not 'well off' so, if anyone else comes along I'd quite like to offer a joint class at a lower rate.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:46 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Lynnxa. When you're teaching groups, how do you charge? I've been asked to teach English so often in our pueblo I've finally relented and have one single student who I charge 10 euros an hour. I'm quite busy at my 'proper job' but not 'well off' so, if anyone else comes along I'd quite like to offer a joint class at a lower rate.
Handy having a second string to your bow as this helps your earning capacity. Did not realise that you were a qualified teacher too. What did you teach and what ages did you teach in the UK?

Rosemary
Old Sep 10th 2012, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

A friend of mine (Spanish) has a language school in Ecija and is looking for a TEFL teacher. It is a new school and the post is part time to start leading to full time once the school is established.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 8:59 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
I charge by the person for groups

PM about to be sent
Old Sep 10th 2012, 9:29 am
Just Joined

jwellington88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd prefer to teach English to Spanish students, but would be willing to take a position in an international school. I'll have a look at the British Council website. I am definitely going to take the TEFL qualification to give me more confidence, especially as I am studying primary and haven't had to teach older children or adults.

Thank you for your advice! It's been very helpful!
Old Sep 10th 2012, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I charge by the person for groups

PM about to be sent
Many thanks. V useful. I wish I had the TEFL certificate. I can only teach vocabulary and conversation with confidence. I know how to use grammar reasonably correctly. But can't teach it with any degree of proficiency.
But I agree with all the other posters that there are plenty of people asking for lessons, especially if you're in an area where there are very few other English people.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

mogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud of

this is an interesting thread. I thought about doing a tefl course before moving end 2013, two reasons

Always good to have another string to the bow
Although taking early retirement want some stuff to do
Old Sep 11th 2012, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

kayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nice

If you can get a job in an international school you will have the added benefit of your daughter being able to attend for free.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kayley
If you can get a job in an international school you will have the added benefit of your daughter being able to attend for free.
what a great idea ....if it's true
Old Sep 11th 2012, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

kayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nice

It is true. Schools are legally obliged to give a free place to the children of members of staff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.