Reload this Page >

Teaching English in Andalucia

Teaching English in Andalucia

Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Elvishe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching English in Andalucia

Hi,
My husband and I are planning to move to Andalucia, probably Granada/Malaga region in August/September this year.
I plan to teach English, either working privately or setting up my own school. Does anyone know how the English teaching business is holding up in the recession?
My husband is planning on being a financial advisor.

Any hints or tips gratefully received,

Many thanks
Old Apr 21st 2010, 11:38 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching English in Andalucia

Originally Posted by Elvishe
Hi,
My husband and I are planning to move to Andalucia, probably Granada/Malaga region in August/September this year.
I plan to teach English, either working privately or setting up my own school. Does anyone know how the English teaching business is holding up in the recession?

Many thanks
Best tip I can give is change your mind.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Best tip I can give is change your mind.
Yes it would be very difficult. There are lots of English schools now and whether you can be a financial advsor in Spain will depend on your qualifications.

If:
1. You are qualified in Spain for those professions you suggest
2. You speak good Spanish
3. You have researched your market very carefully
4. You have a good amount of money to invest into your business

Then I say give it a go!

Another thing to bear in mind is you'd be better off living in one of the large cities as you'd be closer to the kind of people who want to and can afford to learn English and/or have financial advice
Old Apr 21st 2010, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Many thanks
Are you qualified to teach English? Do you have experience? Are you fluent in Spanish? (for dealing with the burocracia, not the teaching aspect).

If the answer is yes then you shouldn't have too much difficulty. 'FormaciĆ³n' is one industry that has been very little affected by the current crisis. With increasing numbers of unemployed people, a lot of them are choosing to use their new found 'free time' to study and improve their CVs with the obvious long term aim of getting back into employment.

PD - I agree with Cricketman about aiming for a city. The Costa del Sol is already heaving with Brits and you'd have more competition somewhere like that.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that - got all the above - still improving the Spanish tho'
Old Apr 21st 2010, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

One more thing.....I have just noticed that you said in your original post that you plan to move August/September.

Remember that almost everyone wants to start academic formation in the months of Sept/Oct. That means that ideally you would have to do some kind of advertising campaign during July/Aug. Your planned date for moving might find that you miss the window for capturing clients for the new academic year, although January/Feb is also traditionally a good time for new clients.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Valeta,
very useful info.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

I was thinking of locating more inland such as Antequera or Loja. Do you think these areas could work?
Old Apr 21st 2010, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking of locating more inland such as Antequera or Loja. Do you think these areas could work?
Anteqera is a really nice town - and has a good Andalucian feel. It is very very very hot in the summer though

You really have to think would people need your services there. People dont need English for their jobs in Antequera and I am guessing they are less likely to need financial advice, especially from a foreigner who maybe doesnt know the Spanish financial market as well (maybe not true, but think about the perceptions of your clients)

Anway, Google is your friend. Just in case you arent sure. www.google.es and click "sites from Spain" is a good first check for any marketing exercise.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

In addition to the above, I would look at teaching more to business's than private individuals owing to a lesser risk of cancellations, higher hourley rate etc.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

We spent a weekend in Antequera a couple of months ago and whilst in the bar of the hotel overheard (hard not to) an American girl. Later in the evening when she realised we must've been English she latched onto us and it transpired that she was teaching English there as part of a school/academy so there must be something there
Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:15 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought that the recession might have spurred the Spanish to go more for English lessons, as it might give them the edge in getting jobs in a shrinking market.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bil
I would have thought that the recession might have spurred the Spanish to go more for English lessons, as it might give them the edge in getting jobs in a shrinking market.
Yes, it has.

There was an article in last week's newspaper (Diario de Cadiz) assessing how different sectors have been affected by the crisis. As expected, most sectors' profits were significantly down, but it said that formaciĆ³n had been relatively untouched, and in some cases profit was on the up, for that precise reason.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I would of thought people living on the breadline, paying out money for language lessons is the last thing on their minds.
Around here a lot of the Brits are going into the schools and giving English lessons for free, this is being run by the local council.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 10:19 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I would of thought people living on the breadline, paying out money for language lessons is the last thing on their minds.
Around here a lot of the Brits are going into the schools and giving English lessons for free, this is being run by the local council.
True, but I wasn't thinking of people on the breadline so much as those desiring to improve their chances of employment who can still find the cost of a lesson or two.

Don't forget, English is relatively easy to get started in, and even a little English is a valuable asset for anyone working in tourism......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.