Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tea Tree Oil & Aloe Vera Gel....???

Tea Tree Oil & Aloe Vera Gel....???

Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tea Tree Oil & Aloe Vera Gel....???

Originally Posted by soontoretire
'Tea Tree' oil is also very good to rub into a dogs coat to deodorize it. I buy a 'Tea Tree' spray from the pet shop here in the U.K. but I think to pluck some of the plant [which grows freely in Spain] and rub the dogs coat with it would work. Perhaps someone would try it? hopefully no more stinky dog!!
I know callistemon, now reassigned to be part of that family, grows here but melaleuca alternifolia? I thought it only grew 'native' in Australia. I know you can grow it from seed, though........if OH's skin continues to play up I might have to
Old Jun 27th 2010, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soontoretire
'Tea Tree' oil is also very good to rub into a dogs coat to deodorize it. I buy a 'Tea Tree' spray from the pet shop here in the U.K. but I think to pluck some of the plant [which grows freely in Spain] and rub the dogs coat with it would work. Perhaps someone would try it? hopefully no more stinky dog!!
What is it called then in Spanish? What does it look like?
Old Jun 27th 2010, 9:06 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
What is it called then in Spanish? What does it look like?

it looks like this
Old Jun 27th 2010, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Probably too simple for words, but OH has a skin problem at the moment (too much diy for his liking) & has put in a request for tea tree oil and aloe vera gel to be at the house awaiting his arrival Wednesday. Our farmacia is a bit limited but you never know - what should I be asking for and what brand(s) does anyone know. Better still, anyone know definitely if any of the big supermarkets stock them?
Don't know if anyone actually did translate but bI have Arbol di Te here.
With an accent on the 'e'.
You didn't say what the skin problem was but I found a really useful cream for cracking caused by a nasty little skin prob called pompholyx (apparently an allergy to my own sweat!) called 'Blastoestimulina' Available at farmacias. it sounds really unnnatural doesn't it? But it's based on lavender and geranium oils and some really effective emollients.
really does seem to stimulate the healing process though. It comes in small and large tubes. Smells really nice too!
Old Jun 27th 2010, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Don't know if anyone actually did translate but bI have Arbol di Te here.
With an accent on the 'e'.
You didn't say what the skin problem was but I found a really useful cream for cracking caused by a nasty little skin prob called pompholyx (apparently an allergy to my own sweat!) called 'Blastoestimulina' Available at farmacias. it sounds really unnnatural doesn't it? But it's based on lavender and geranium oils and some really effective emollients.
really does seem to stimulate the healing process though. It comes in small and large tubes. Smells really nice too!
That one sounds nice!.... the problem arose very suddenly one day and it's been impossible to narrow down which of several factors may (if any) have been to blame: he'd been scooping out mortar (so dry powdery cement dust) from the base of a newly-cut false pepper tree (reknowned for its sap) which had been liberally dosed with aguafuerte () and a n other chemical I've forgotten what () to attempt to ensure it died; during the process he'd gone to the bed where the oleander is and done something involving rubbing against the plant (known for its toxicity) and the previous night the cats had unusually been allowed in our room - he's pretty allergic to them.
Make of that what you will! the symptom was red weals a bit like a steam burn or something. Plus scratch-looking things. Goodness knows.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

That one sounds nice!.... the problem arose very suddenly one day and it's been impossible to narrow down which of several factors may (if any) have been to blame: he'd been scooping out mortar (so dry powdery cement dust) from the base of a newly-cut false pepper tree (reknowned for its sap) which had been liberally dosed with aguafuerte () and a n other chemical I've forgotten what () to attempt to ensure it died; during the process he'd gone to the bed where the oleander is and done something involving rubbing against the plant (known for its toxicity) and the previous night the cats had unusually been allowed in our room - he's pretty allergic to them.
Make of that what you will! the symptom was red weals a bit like a steam burn or something. Plus scratch-looking things. Goodness knows.
Ha Ha. Buy the boy some nice leather gardening gloves and tell him to get on with it . It does sound like he got the lot all in one go. And since you say he has allergies anyway he was bound to suffer! By the way Lavender essential oil seems to be called 'Espliego' around here.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 5:15 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey - he certainly went for it didn't he

The Oleander seems a likely culprit but it could have been one of the others. Just a thought though, is it wise to put any other plant based substances on someone with already damaged, sensitive skin? He might be sensitive to those as well
Old Jun 28th 2010, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jimenato
Blimey - he certainly went for it didn't he

The Oleander seems a likely culprit but it could have been one of the others. Just a thought though, is it wise to put any other plant based substances on someone with already damaged, sensitive skin? He might be sensitive to those as well
It's certainly not been his most comfortable couple of weeks, that's for sure. Just to continue the Sherlock Holmes bit, what really had us scratching our heads (well he was trying not to scratch actually, cos I forgot he got a couple of mozzie bites in his scalp at the same time to add to the misery) was that he'd been wearing a short-sleeved shirt & jeans. So the hands & arms make sense - less so the knees/shins. Could do with Colombo or Poirot or someone coming along and using their little grey cells and trenchcoat
Anyway maybe a good point about the plant-based stuff, really don't know.
Many thanks all for your input.

Last edited by fionamw; Jun 28th 2010 at 6:19 am. Reason: pressed enter in error. Doh!
Old Jun 28th 2010, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

It's certainly not been his most comfortable couple of weeks, that's for sure. Just to continue the Sherlock Holmes bit, what really had us scratching our heads (well he was trying not to scratch actually, cos I forgot he got a couple of mozzie bites in his scalp at the same time to add to the misery) was that he'd been wearing a short-sleeved shirt & jeans. So the hands & arms make sense - less so the knees/shins. Could do with Colombo or Poirot or someone coming along and using their little grey cells and trenchcoat
Anyway maybe a good point about the plant-based stuff, really don't know.
Many thanks all for your input.
Lavender is almost always good. Think about it. Just cos you're allergic to prawns doesn't mean you shouldn't eat cod;-)
But Tea Tree should never ever be used neat. Same goes for most essential oils Except lavender which you can use neat on a burn even. It is just as antiseptic as tea tree and more soothing.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Lavender is almost always good. Think about it. Just cos you're allergic to prawns doesn't mean you shouldn't eat cod;-)
But Tea Tree should never ever be used neat. Same goes for most essential oils Except lavender which you can use neat on a burn even. It is just as antiseptic as tea tree and more soothing.
So what's the cheapest most easily available liquid to mix it into?
Old Jun 28th 2010, 9:38 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like nettle rash which is an allergy. Allsorts of things can bring it out even a different soap! I used to get it a lot when younger but seemed to grow out of it although I still have to be careful when touching certain plants or weeding. The weals would come up like blisters and the itching drove me crazy...best thing for me was Piriton tablets. Aloe Vera gel will cool down the skin but a lot of products on sale have other additives that may also irritate the skin.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

So what's the cheapest most easily available liquid to mix it into?
Awwe I LOVE this question! We live in Spain Olive oil is the cheapest oil. Almond oil is nice. But you can use water as well but make sure you shake it really well or swoosh it into the bath. When I use Tea tree oil in the bath I mix 6 drops of lavender and 6 drops of Tea tree. But I don't think Tea tree oil is the stuff you need for an allergy. Unless you are trying to keep out infection. Tea tree is great for baths before surgery or after getting scratches or stings to stop infections. But for the allergy I'd use Lavender. Oh and a piriteze tablet or something like that. Not sure what's available here. I'm not a doctor BTW Just an old wife;-).Literally. Oh, and I did do a short course in Aromatherapy a long time ago.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Awwe I LOVE this question! We live in Spain Olive oil is the cheapest oil. Almond oil is nice. But you can use water as well but make sure you shake it really well or swoosh it into the bath. When I use Tea tree oil in the bath I mix 6 drops of lavender and 6 drops of Tea tree. But I don't think Tea tree oil is the stuff you need for an allergy. Unless you are trying to keep out infection. Tea tree is great for baths before surgery or after getting scratches or stings to stop infections. But for the allergy I'd use Lavender. Oh and a piriteze tablet or something like that. Not sure what's available here. I'm not a doctor BTW Just an old wife;-).Literally. Oh, and I did do a short course in Aromatherapy a long time ago.
I asked because I had a feeling rapeseed oil, or almond, or a n other, might be 'lighter' & the better carrier, but yes obviously olive oil......
Arrives Malaga tonight so watch this space
Old Jun 29th 2010, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Never have a problem using tea tree oil neat.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Never have a problem using tea tree oil neat.
I never have a problem driving around the pueblo without a seatbelt;-)

Last edited by angiescarr; Jun 29th 2010 at 11:08 am. Reason: spelling mistake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.