Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Taxes and Fines

Taxes and Fines

Old Feb 26th 2016, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Taxes and Fines

Last week I received in the post box an A5 sheet of paper demanding that I attend at the Ayuntamiento to be informed of an unpaid tax with possible fines. I noted that a copy had been sent to the Gestorian Tributaria. From previous experience when taxes are not paid I knew that they have the power to dip into your bank account and and take money or freeze your account. Here in Spain you do not need the hassle that either event can cause and explains to me why most Spanish people use cash to pay bills and do not give their bank account numbers to gas, water, electricity companies or the Town Hall (Gestorian Tributaria)

I was told a new Tax had been introduced to allow me to cross the footpath from the road into my drive. It will cost €9.65 per year and that I owed from 2013 which I think is the limit they can go back under the four year rule. Not wanting the dire results if I did not pay I gave them €30 and settled the outstanding amount to receive this years bill after May.

I pay to the council almost €2000pa I have no street lights the roads are crumbling and the gardens along our roads are not maintained and the street trees are dead.

Plot owners, villa owners and inter-communities are receiving these demands. These demandse are not enforceable in law as set out in the latest advice from CERA.

CERA says that none of the articles mentioned in the notice are applicable since none allow the Town Hall to levy a Tax on a private roads. ALL THE ROADS IN COSTA ESURI ARE, FOR THE TIME BEING PRIVATE SINCE THE HAVE NOT BEEN ADOPTED.

This raises the question that the fines levied for parking by the Local Police (a few were caught by this last year up to €400) are also not legal within the confines of our Urbanisation which begins at the Commercial Center roundabout. The roads throughout Esuri are private. The Town Hall has not adopted them. We pay for their maintenance through our taxes to the EUC as the maintenance is the responsibility of the EUC.

ALL OF THE ABOVE DERIVES FROM ARTICLE 7 of the Spanish Road Safety Law (Ley de Seguridad Vial).

A fuller explanation can be found on the CERA website or by email to members.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Feb 26th 2016 at 2:57 pm.