Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Taxes and cars partly used for business?

Taxes and cars partly used for business?

Old Jun 30th 2010, 7:41 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taxes and cars partly used for business?

Originally Posted by angiescarr
......Really buggered by the receipts having to have your NIE thing. Is that ALL receipts. The post office and everything?
Yep everything..if you had employed a Gestroia when you set yourself up they would have told you this...now I am wondering what else you are missing?

Money is tight every where, all our suppliers are telling us, look at the shops with no customers and personal standing there.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

By the sounds of it the OP is a bit anti-gestores and I must admit I am too. I much prefer to do everything myself.

Depending on your situation, your tax responsiblities can either be VERY complicated or VERY easy. Luckily mine are VERY, VERY easy. I used a gestor for my first year of business (cost me 10€ per month) and made sure that I learnt what they were doing and why. It was then very easy to use what they did as a model for my second year and ever since I have always done my own accounts.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
The whole having a receipt with your CIF/NIE is so annoying. There are many expenses I would claim in the UK that I can't be bothered to claim in Spain because of that. But I am sure it really does cut down on fraud.
I dont think it dose cut down on fraud, if you put 50k of dodgy reciepts through you have to show how you paid them and where that money came from ,its just big brother out of control.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
Listen Angie - Spain is all about 'enchufa' you may think this is unfair but my (I am English) father taught me only 1 thing - "It's not what you know - but who you know" and that is as good as an translation as you will get.

read "Ghosts of Spain" Giles Tremlett.

Don't meet Spain head on - you will lose. But they are lovely people - I know I have just spent 2 hours watching the World Cup in a bar with them - they insist I am there on Saturday.............
Hi Spainrico
Thanks. Good advice... But already read it! No I'm not a 'whingeing pom'. I'm a born again Spaniard:-) I want to do things right and always have. I live in a pueblo and we are very much part of the community..albeit 'los Ingleses'
I'm sometimes teased as 'mujer albanil' but they're very welcoming and we pay our dues in the Spanish way too..as good neighbours. We've been looked after well by our ayuntamiento too. Not in any dodgy way. Just that they have been helpful. Even the local policeman when he saw us collecting the pinecones from a tree they were cutting down asked us if we had a coal fire we said (In spanish) "yes and it's bloody cold this winter!" He then told the tree surgeons to cut the logs up small enough for us to take away... That kind of thing. I love it... But I wouldn't go so far as to try to gain favours by bribery or anything like that. I'm too honest.
It's just I'm stuck with a creative head and not a logical mathematical, ordered one. This has always made accounting really difficult for me. We're also stuck in a very dodgy financial state at the moment since my business is up and running but my husband's hasn't been for a year! So, I'm a bit scared of the whole 3 monthly returns thing!
Old Jul 1st 2010, 6:58 pm
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

Having had a Spanish business (with a Spanish partner) - I think anyone trying to do their own accounting is frankly mad.

You need professional qualified help to ensure you are in full compliance with all of the laws otherwise you could find yourself in big trouble with heavy fines.
to be very honest I don't think they (AEAT) will be impressed if the foreigners try a bit of DIY! (Maybe for personal tax but not for a business)
This is such a load of nonsense. First year we used a gestoría and ended up with a fine and having to wait 18 months for a refund for La Renta because of the errors. So, for the last 9 years my wife and I, who both have our own businesses, have done it ourselves, every quarter and at the end of the year. If there is anything you want to know you can pop into Hacienda, after all it's their job to supply information so declarations can be filled in correctly.

Also the thing about facturas is only relevant if you have an inspection because the rest of the time Hacienda never get to see the paperwork. And even if the odd factura didn't have your name on they are just going to tell you you can't use it in the declaration. I really don't see what all the scaremongering is all about.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tele Addict
This is such a load of nonsense. First year we used a gestoría and ended up with a fine and having to wait 18 months for a refund for La Renta because of the errors. So, for the last 9 years my wife and I, who both have our own businesses, have done it ourselves, every quarter and at the end of the year. If there is anything you want to know you can pop into Hacienda, after all it's their job to supply information so declarations can be filled in correctly.

Also the thing about facturas is only relevant if you have an inspection because the rest of the time Hacienda never get to see the paperwork. And even if the odd factura didn't have your name on they are just going to tell you you can't use it in the declaration. I really don't see what all the scaremongering is all about.
I'm inclined to agree. I said earlier I used a gestor for my first year of business so that I could learn the ropes from them.....that included what they did wrong, as well as what they did right.

If I have any doubts about my declaraciones now I do exactly as you say....go to the Hacienda and get the advice free of charge (as opposed to going to a gestor and paying for it).

I'm not saying this route would be right for everyone.....if you have no Spanish skills then I guess you would have no choice but to rely on a gestor. Or if you have a complicated set up then perhaps a gestor is necessary, but otherwise DIY is a totally viable option....especially now that you can download programmes from the AEAT that do all the hard work for you!