Tax on Savings

Old Feb 21st 2007, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future
Default Tax on Savings

Excuse me if this is an idiot question but I have read that in Spain you are taxed on Savings as if it is an income. Is this so? and if it is what rate of tax is it, is it taken automatically or do you have to do it as self assessment in tax return?

Helen
Old Feb 21st 2007, 4:21 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax on Savings

Tax is deducted at source by the bank at 18%.

You declare it on your tax return as income and also declare the tax deducted. It then gets rolled up into the whole calculation and you pay the appropriate rate of tax on it.

If you pay no tax you can claim it back.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Fred James
Tax is deducted at source by the bank at 18%.

You declare it on your tax return as income and also declare the tax deducted. It then gets rolled up into the whole calculation and you pay the appropriate rate of tax on it.

If you pay no tax you can claim it back.

OK thanks, I just wondered what people did to avoid a heavy tax on a lump sum they are to live off for a couple of years, would you keep the majority in UK account (but then you have the transfer fees)then transfer every couple of months when you needed it to avoid heavy tax?
Old Feb 21st 2007, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nice

Originally Posted by helenp
OK thanks, I just wondered what people did to avoid a heavy tax on a lump sum they are to live off for a couple of years, would you keep the majority in UK account (but then you have the transfer fees)then transfer every couple of months when you needed it to avoid heavy tax?
But money held in the U.K. has to be declared ( and taxed ),to the Spanish Tax man if you live in Spain
Old Feb 21st 2007, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jonsol
But money held in the U.K. has to be declared ( and taxed ),to the Spanish Tax man if you live in Spain
OK so there is no way around it. I will leave it up to the tax man to do with it what he wishes.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 8:04 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

leave your lump sum in a good account back in UK and the interest on that lop over every month to nationwide b/s then take out what you need with your card every week with no charge,pat
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
leave your lump sum in a good account back in UK and the interest on that lop over every month to nationwide b/s then take out what you need with your card every week with no charge,pat

OK thanks that sounds like a good idea that is what I thought of doing, just all this tax stuff is confusing.

Helen
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 4:30 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks that sounds like a good idea that is what I thought of doing, just all this tax stuff is confusing.

Helen
Helen, whichever way you draw it, it will always be subject to wealth and income tax in Spain. The good news is that on another thread I did a calculation that showed that if your income was around 13000 euros you would not pay any tax in Spain or England, depending of course on circumstances.
So don't just assume you are going to be heavily taxed ... thats not automatically the case