Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

To tax or not to tax ?

To tax or not to tax ?

Old Aug 4th 2010, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant future
Default Re: To tax or not to tax ?

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl

I think anyone can be richer if they understand the opportuinities and pitfalls of an international move - in advance and make plans. Thers also lots of books out there and the internet can be useful in getting the big picture. IHT as Fred says is a complex affair too... sometimes the worst! Its not good in Belgium and France - as you know Annetje, living there!!

Financial advisers will also help if you are thinking of moving investments - and they will know if there are ways to more effectively move a pension too. I believe there are new rules regarding pensions abroad as well - or coming down the line.

Often the first meeting is free from most professionals - and you get a picture of what you can do... and if you feel confident you can move forward.

Jon

PS anybody know the contact details of the financial/tax advisor that used to write an article in the English press (oracle) and lives on CE?
Hi Mate,

Its Terry Vaughan.

Ken.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 6:26 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
It just costs more and more money to be rich theses days.

Hm, wishful thinking ...

Old Aug 5th 2010, 6:32 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Annetje

I strongly suggest that you take financial and legal advice from somebody that you can share your full situation with in confidence.

Having moved a few times myself you cant beat talking to an expert - who you feel confidence in to reveal your financial position. There could be various totally legal ways to plan your trip in advance that allows you to for example reset any capital gains allowance, set up trusts and manage investments. Alternatively you can plan your trips to not fall foul of any 183 / 91 day laws etc. Whilst you decide.

Also you could Google a company called Blevins Franks gives advice (no commercial contact)... also try and get the local expat papers - where you may find names.

I can strongly recommend taking professional advice before you move and set up a plan that meets your requirements - this is a major decision you are making and you need to be forewarned (I suggest)

Good luck
Jon
Hi Jon,
Thanks for your advise. We are talking to Blevins Franks (also no commercial contact) and went to see them when we were over last February. They are in France as well and we always had good contact with them.
Might be useful to talk to some other companies as well though. The expert on CE you talk about, is he still practicing or is he just enjoying life ?

Anne
Old Aug 5th 2010, 6:35 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

[QUOTE=Fred James;8748005]

Remember of course that even professional advisors are only after the highest fees they can generate and trusts are a good earner as far as they are concerned.

HEAR HEAR, think I heard that one before.

Old Aug 6th 2010, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Teed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Annetje;8754243]
Originally Posted by Fred James

Remember of course that even professional advisors are only after the highest fees they can generate and trusts are a good earner as far as they are concerned.

HEAR HEAR, think I heard that one before.

But if you want professional advice you have to pay for it,and you then have a safety net IE,redress if things go wrong.

If the advice is right and saves you hassle and costs,then whats the problem?.

Ken.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 9:57 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that they do not always offer impartial advice - they only recommend the products they want you to buy.

As for redress, that's not so easy in Spain.

There are good and bad advisers - the problem is finding the right one - a bit like finding a decent lawyer!
Old Aug 8th 2010, 4:42 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

The more I read about taxes in Spain, the more depressed I am

Didnt realize it is that expensive over there.

Still doing our accounts though
Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:52 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje
Hi Jon,
Thanks for your advise. We are talking to Blevins Franks (also no commercial contact) and went to see them when we were over last February. They are in France as well and we always had good contact with them.
Might be useful to talk to some other companies as well though. The expert on CE you talk about, is he still practicing or is he just enjoying life ?

Anne
Hi Annetje

Firstly I have never used him so I cant recommend him at all, but he used to write in the expat newspaper. Ken gave me his name (above) and then I could search on my computer, as somewhere in the past I had noted the details from a fellow forum member who PM'd me: Here's what he said (below).... note therefore that this comes 'second-hand'.. and when he wrote in the Oracle he gave these personal details out publically - so I am not giving up someones confidential info: I also dont know if he is retired or not. It goes without saying therefore that I have no commercial connection here

Have you tried Terry Vaughan he is the guy who writes the financial page in the Oracle.
I do not know or have used him personally , but it might be a good place to start ?
His details are as follows
Terry Vaughan
+ 34 637 11 81 99
(SNIP)]
I hope he can help, as I say I have never met or used him

Good luck with your financial evaluation, tax planning etc, in Spain. BTW I hope that you werent too affected by the flooding in the Var. My nephew was in Draguignan till just ONE day before them!! (Lucky that he left then - who knows!!!) He was also at the coast and saw the huge waves that come over the sea walls into Cannes and Nice (making the Cannes film festival a bit 'wet' as the outside terraces were flooded.) I also saw that cars on the Promendade des Anglais in Nice had beeen turned over. Must have been some huge waves - to get over the wall and turn over cars! .... hard to believe!!

A bientot,
Jon

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Aug 9th 2010 at 9:46 am. Reason: email removed
Old Aug 9th 2010, 8:27 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Annetje

Firstly I have never used him so I cant recommend him at all, but he used to write in the expat newspaper. Ken gave me his name (above) and then I could search on my computer, as somewhere in the past I had noted the details from a fellow forum member who PM'd me: Here's what he said (below).... note therefore that this comes 'second-hand'.. and when he wrote in the Oracle he gave these personal details out publically - so I am not giving up someones confidential info: I also dont know if he is retired or not. It goes without saying therefore that I have no commercial connection here

Have you tried Terry Vaughan he is the guy who writes the financial page in the Oracle.
I do not know or have used him personally , but it might be a good place to start ?
His details are as follows
Terry Vaughan
+ 34 637 11 81 99
[email protected]
I hope he can help, as I say I have never met or used him

Good luck with your financial evaluation, tax planning etc, in Spain. BTW I hope that you werent too affected by the flooding in the Var. My nephew was in Draguignan till just ONE day before them!! (Lucky that he left then - who knows!!!) He was also at the coast and saw the huge waves that come over the sea walls into Cannes and Nice (making the Cannes film festival a bit 'wet' as the outside terraces were flooded.) I also saw that cars on the Promendade des Anglais in Nice had beeen turned over. Must have been some huge waves - to get over the wall and turn over cars! .... hard to believe!!

A bientot,
Jon
Did you have permission to publish it on an internet forum though please, as the email will be harvested by spambots and result in spamming for him.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:09 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Did you have permission to publish it on an internet forum though please, as the email will be harvested by spambots and result in spamming for him.
Hi MB

No as I mention Ive never used him and Ive just noted his details second hand. However this info was at the end of his articles in the newspaper, I believe. So was very public..... Not unusual for someone giving free advice in a paper to also put the contact details in.

Dont want to cause him problems with spambots etc however (something I dont know about) so if you want to modify/delete the post - or change the way the email address is presented, please go ahead...
Jon
Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:45 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MB

No as I mention Ive never used him and Ive just noted his details second hand. However this info was at the end of his articles in the newspaper, I believe. So was very public..... Not unusual for someone giving free advice in a paper to also put the contact details in.

Dont want to cause him problems with spambots etc however (something I dont know about) so if you want to modify/delete the post - or change the way the email address is presented, please go ahead...
Jon
Spambots dont read papers
Old Aug 10th 2010, 9:04 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Spambots dont read papers

BTW I'm not techie, but is it also spambots - or something similar - that reads all the email addresses when you get one of those emails saying 'pass it on to all your friends'?? Often a joke - or some medical advice eg what to do if someone is having a stroke - dont forget to send this to all your friends... etc.

(I never do)

Thanks
Jon
Old Aug 14th 2010, 7:25 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Hi all

We are getting closer to sorting out our tax questions, maybe things are not as gloomy as I thought they were

Would like to thank you all for your advise
And maybe see you one day ???

Anne