British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Tax and Health (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/tax-health-871209/)

Bo S Jan 24th 2016 11:24 am

Tax and Health

Hi all,

Any thoughts are greatfully appreciated.

- I buy a small flat in coastal Andalucia. I live there five winter months a year and return to my own country for the other seven. It will not be rented out for the other months. I will live off my savings during the five months.
Apart from community charges, basura and annual property tax are there any other statutory charges likely?

- I have a dickie stomach one winter morning and would like to see a GP. What do I do or what can I do to pre-empt this senario? I won't have an EHIC and travel insurance won't cover this. Worse still, what if I get hit by a bus?

Cheers,
Bo

snikpoh Jan 24th 2016 12:55 pm

Re: Tax and Health

Originally Posted by Bo S (Post 11846551)
Hi all,

Any thoughts are greatfully appreciated.

- I buy a small flat in coastal Andalucia. I live there five winter months a year and return to my own country for the other seven. It will not be rented out for the other months. I will live off my savings during the five months.
Apart from community charges, basura and annual property tax are there any other statutory charges likely?

- I have a dickie stomach one winter morning and would like to see a GP. What do I do or what can I do to pre-empt this senario? I won't have an EHIC and travel insurance won't cover this. Worse still, what if I get hit by a bus?

Cheers,
Bo

The one major bill you've forgotten is IBI (akin to council tax) unless that's what you mean by property tax in which case you've forgotten the "imputed rental tax".

You need private health insurance.

Tadd1966 Jan 24th 2016 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bo S (Post 11846551)
Hi all, Any thoughts are greatfully appreciated. - I buy a small flat in coastal Andalucia. I live there five winter months a year and return to my own country for the other seven. It will not be rented out for the other months. I will live off my savings during the five months.Apart from community charges, basura and annual property tax are there any other statutory charges likely? - I have a dickie stomach one winter morning and would like to see a GP. What do I do or what can I do to pre-empt this senario? I won't have an EHIC and travel insurance won't cover this. Worse still, what if I get hit by a bus? Cheers,Bo

Where is your home country?
If it is none EU / EEA do they have a reciprocal agreements with Spain for health care - check with your own countries equivalent of NHS / govt website etc.

Your dickie stomach (and any other medical treatment) - you would have to see a private doctor and pay
Being hit by a bus - could be very expensive (unless you can prove bus driver was at fault then you may be able to claim on bus companies insurance).
Take out an insurance policy

snikpoh Jan 24th 2016 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Tadd1966 (Post 11846619)
Where is your home country?
If it is none EU / EEA do they have a reciprocal agreements with Spain for health care - check with your own countries equivalent of NHS / govt website etc.

Your dickie stomach (and any other medical treatment) - you would have to see a private doctor and pay
Being hit by a bus - could be very expensive (unless you can prove bus driver was at fault then you may be able to claim on bus companies insurance).
Take out an insurance policy

Non-EU/EEA surely, not None?

It doesn't matter if they have one or not. As a non-resident, private cover is required.

Tadd1966 Jan 24th 2016 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 11846624)
Non-EU/EEA surely, not None? It doesn't matter if they have one or not. As a non-resident, private cover is required.

Snikpoh
not quite correct
as an example see link

Healthcare in Spain
Some non-EU countries, mainly those located in Latin America, also have bilateral health agreements with Spain.

Bi lateral or reciprocal health agreements are not unique to EU (along with many other bi lateral agreements) As an example Australia have RCHA with many countries (not Spain though). Participating RHCA countries - Department of Human Services

The UK reciprocal health agreement with Spain is also not dependant upon EU - in the event the UK pull out of the EU this and many other UK/Spain bi lateral agreements will more than likely stay in place

snikpoh Jan 24th 2016 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Tadd1966 (Post 11846643)
Snikpoh
not quite correct
as an example see link

Healthcare in Spain
Some non-EU countries, mainly those located in Latin America, also have bilateral health agreements with Spain.

Bi lateral or reciprocal health agreements are not unique to EU (along with many other bi lateral agreements) As an example Australia have RCHA with many countries (not Spain though). Participating RHCA countries - Department of Human Services

The UK reciprocal health agreement with Spain is also not dependant upon EU - in the event the UK pull out of the EU this and many other UK/Spain bi lateral agreements will more than likely stay in place

That link only talks about the EU - do you have a similar link for non-EU?

Also, they talk about there being a reciprocal agreement if you are resident. They state;

It’s worth noting, that even if you don’t have a social security number and are younger than 60 years of age, then you will still be entitled to free emergency care in any public hospital, providing you have a Certificado de Empadronamiento. This is a resident’s card which you will be given when you register with your community’s padrón (city roll).
Which is incorrect!
  1. You should only be on the padron if you are residents
  2. If you go on the padron anyway, this does not make you a resident
  3. The certificate is NOT a resident's card!

Tadd1966 Jan 24th 2016 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 11846666)
That link only talks about the EU - do you have a similar link for non-EU? Also, they talk about there being a reciprocal agreement if you are resident. They state; Which is incorrect!
  1. You should only be on the padron if you are residents
  2. If you go on the padron anyway, this does not make you a resident
  3. The certificate is NOT a resident's card!

snikpoh

Our local town hall requests residents and non resident holiday home owners to register on the padron as it helps in govt funding;) (I have heard some town halls differ and only want residents on the padron but your point 1 is not true for all)
Also if any visitors who wish to remain in Spain (EU / EEA citizen or not)over 3 months but this is more to register with police and immigration

If you are a non EU / EEA citizen you will need a residencia to reside permanently in Spain and if a visitor from a non EU / EEA country possibly a visa - depending on country you are from and what agreement they have with Spain

EU / EEA citizens residing in Spain must register on the European Foreigners list at the National Police (commonly known by many expats as the "residencia")

In order to get a residencia or register on the European Foreigners list you will need to be on the padron

Australia has RCHA's with 10 countries EU and non EU which are shown on the list read the link

and the point is here that reciprocal agreements exist between many counties for many different things and they are NOT unique to or the preserve of the member countries of the EU /EEA

I do not know the full details of reciprocal health agreements with Latin American countries and Spain that are mentioned in the link (read the entire article) - so they do exist which is contrary to what you said (i.e. NONE) and why I advised the OP to ask the question is his own country in the first place

Fred James Jan 24th 2016 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Tadd1966 (Post 11846702)
Our local town hall requests residents and non resident holiday home owners to register on the padron as it helps in govt funding;) (I have heard some town halls differ and only want residents on the padron but your point 1 is not true for all)

The law is quite clear, you are only entitled to sign on the Padron if your HABITUAL residence is in the locality. Clearly that excludes people with holiday homes who happen to spend a few months in Spain regularly.

These town halls are clearly breaking the by suggesting this, which they do to illegally increase the funding to the town.

Some town halls are currently asking people to renew their Padron entry, which again is not allowed under normal circumstances unless you are non EU citizens.

bobd22 Jan 24th 2016 4:45 pm

Re the Padron this has been discussed at length previously. Signing on the padron should only be done if your address in Spain is your habitual residence not if just an holiday home. Yes your local ayuntmiento like to have as many on the padron as they can get because they get money from central government for each signatory . However if you are (as the OP states) staying for part of the year, under 183 days and wishing to stay non resident as far as tax goes then signing the padron could make that more difficult. By signing the padron you are saying it is your habitual/main home, if someone came knocking with questions re this my guess is ayuntmiento would deny saying you have to sign it. I haven't never been mentioned and until living in Spain over 183 days I won't be signing it.

bobd22 Jan 24th 2016 4:47 pm

You beat me to it Fred

Tadd1966 Jan 24th 2016 5:32 pm

GuysYou may well be right but I know of al least 3 town halls locally who insist on this even a friend of mine who owns a holiday apartment in Denia had a similar letter to the one we received - why would a town hall clearly send letters out and break the law?
Mind you this is Spain and nobody really cares about the law of residence or tax etc. but if you drive in flip flops then be afraid :lol::lol: