Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tax/finance information to be shared across borders.

Tax/finance information to be shared across borders.

Old Nov 14th 2014, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Patrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the rough
Default Tax/finance information to be shared across borders.

Apologies if this has been raised elsewhere but there are some very important changes about to take place for Spanish residents in terms of cross border tax reporting. Around 50 countries (including Spain and the UK plus dependencies) have officially signed up to something called the EU Administration Co-operation Directive. Doesn't sound very interesting but it's effects will be long lasting. The agreement basically sets out the structure for automatic exchange of tax and finance information in what is know as the Common Reporting Standard. It will come into place over the next 2 to 3 years. The result will be that any bank accounts, insurance policies, investments in stocks and shares etc held by an institution within these 50 countries must report its existence (and in some cases balance) to the account/policy holder's tax authority in the country of residence. It also includes beneficiaries of trusts and foundations (which Spain doesn't recognise anyway). This is going to have big implications for some folks - especially if they have not fulfilled their obligations with the modelo 720. More http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Reporting_Standardor here

Last edited by Rosemary; Nov 14th 2014 at 12:23 pm. Reason: link appearence
Old Nov 14th 2014, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Tax/finance information to be shared across borders.

Yep absolutely

I've been getting my finances in shape to align with this over the past few years

And if Podemos get in power, believe me they will be checking the details!
Old Nov 14th 2014, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax/finance information to be shared across borders.

'if' as in Podemos is the operative word. Do you truly think they have the infrastructure knowledge and ability to run 'a country' Whilst we are coming back the very thought has resulted in a limitation of the time we will spend in Spain. Mainly holidays know and then between our homes in France and the UK.

Do understand all the legal rules as to residency and centre of economic interest. And yes continue to pay my taxes in France seemingly too their GDP did grow and by more than Germany in the last quarter.

When please is the Spanish national elections?
Old Nov 14th 2014, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

We were only in Javea last year for about eight months before returning to France. However as you all know there is a large ex pat community in the area of Javea Very seriously the modelo? caused quite a few to return to London and simply to spend holidays in Spain. I also know of someone who paid off a huge Home Counties mortgage and I mean huge for their daughter and to rid themselves of the potential downside of the modelo.

However France is not much different but its tax regime is better for us than Spain hence spending the majority of our time in France.

Wherever lay your head enjoy your lives.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 12:55 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porth
We were only in Javea last year for about eight months before returning to France. However as you all know there is a large ex pat community in the area of Javea Very seriously the modelo? caused quite a few to return to London and simply to spend holidays in Spain. I also know of someone who paid off a huge Home Counties mortgage and I mean huge for their daughter and to rid themselves of the potential downside of the modelo.

However France is not much different but its tax regime is better for us than Spain hence spending the majority of our time in France.

Wherever lay your head enjoy your lives.
What "potential downside to the modelo"? If you are doing things legally, the modelo doesn't make it any worse!!!!!!!

People who don't understand or who want to live below the radar (illegally) are the only ones who need to worry!
Old Nov 14th 2014, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snikpoh
What "potential downside to the modelo"? If you are doing things legally, the modelo doesn't make it any worse!!!!!!!

People who don't understand or who want to live below the radar (illegally) are the only ones who need to worry!
I understand but let me make my position absolutely clear. Wherever I am resident I will pay my tax and here it is France and for some 35 years. I always but always use a great firm of Accountants in France.

So not a problem but last year there were so many meetings at U3A and the like by Blevin Franks that one can understand some degree of fear. I do not understand the Modelo save it has a cumulative effect on wealth creation and asset holdings? Is that about right?

I referred to the payment of the mortgage that was upon the advice of Spanish Lawyers in Fetter Lane London so one would like to think their advice is sound.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 1:22 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I understand but let me make my position absolutely clear. Wherever I am resident I will pay my tax and here it is France and for some 35 years. I always but always use a great firm of Accountants in France.

So not a problem but last year there were so many meetings at U3A and the like by Blevin Franks that one can understand some degree of fear. I do not understand the Modelo save it has a cumulative effect on wealth creation and asset holdings? Is that about right?

I referred to the payment of the mortgage that was upon the advice of Spanish Lawyers in Fetter Lane London so one would like to think their advice is sound.

Modelo 720 was nothing more than a reporting exercise.

Spain needs to know what assets ANYONE holds outside of Spain. For this reason, they have set the limit at 50k in any of the (three) asset classes.

Most countries have similar requirements now.

If, for example, one has savings in excess of 50k (accumulated sum), then this needs declaring. But then the authorities need to know about it anyway as tax would be due in Spain on any interest accrued - so no change there. Similarly with property; IHT/succession tax will be due on any properties held by the expat - so Spain needs to know about these assets (to prevent tax evasion).

I think Blevins were involved as (a) there was potential business for them and (b) to allay the fears of many expats who simply didn't understand.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

'if' as in Podemos is the operative word. Do you truly think they have the infrastructure knowledge and ability to run 'a country
Politicians make decisions and ask the civil service to implement them

It is actually the civil service who runs the country. The politicians just tell them what rules to work to

Maybe you should watch an episode of Yes Minister
Old Nov 14th 2014, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cricketman

It is actually the civil service who runs the country. The politicians just tell them what rules to work to

The idea of democracy is a strange illusion.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Patrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=snikpoh;11471890]Modelo 720 was nothing more than a reporting exercise.

Spain needs to know what assets ANYONE holds outside of Spain. For this reason, they have set the limit at 50k in any of the (three) asset classes.

If, for example, one has savings in excess of 50k (accumulated sum), then this needs declaring. But then the authorities need to know about it anyway as tax would be due in Spain on any interest accrued - so no change there. Similarly with property; IHT/succession tax will be due on any properties held by the expat - so Spain needs to know about these assets (to prevent tax evasion).

Not quite correct there - if the property is outside Spain (the UK for example) and the beneficiaries are not resident in Spain then no IHT is payable in Spain (as it is the beneficiary and not the estate that is taxed here).
Old Nov 14th 2014, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick2976
Apologies if this has been raised elsewhere but there are some very important changes about to take place for Spanish residents in terms of cross border tax reporting.
Originally Posted by Patrick2976
Not quite correct there - if the property is outside Spain (the UK for example) and the beneficiaries are not resident in Spain.
Confused.com
Old Nov 14th 2014, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cricketman

Cricketman Whitehall farce. However back to the question I posed you some weeks ago what is a Chinaman?
Old Nov 14th 2014, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

what is a Chinaman?
A left handed leg spinner's googly of course
Old Nov 14th 2014, 4:46 pm
Retired and loving it!

[QUOTE=Patrick2976;11472033]
Modelo 720 was nothing more than a reporting exercise.

Not quite correct there - if the property is outside Spain (the UK for example) and the beneficiaries are not resident in Spain then no IHT is payable in Spain (as it is the beneficiary and not the estate that is taxed here).
Doesn't it depend which will is being used (Spanish or UK rules?) or am I confused?
Old Nov 14th 2014, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Confused.com
The latter quote was in answer to a point raised by Snikpoh. Not sure why you would be confused.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.