Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tax Dodgers and Black Money in Spain

Tax Dodgers and Black Money in Spain

Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Dodgers and Black Money in Spain

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Didn't you find it strange that the Notary left the room when the moment came to hand over the cash???
We didn't find it strange at all. In fact we didn't give it a second thought. We were completely in the hands of our estate agent, who took complete control over our money by putting it in her handbag as soon as the bank handed it over.

I didn't even realise the notary had left the room at the time. It was only from reading posts here later that I realised..."oh yeah, she did leave the room..."

Naive or what. And my wife's a uk solicitor as well!.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:11 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
We didn't find it strange at all. In fact we didn't give it a second thought. We were completely in the hands of our estate agent, who took complete control over our money by putting it in her handbag as soon as the bank handed it over.

I didn't even realise the notary had left the room at the time. It was only from reading posts here later that I realised..."oh yeah, she did leave the room..."

Naive or what. And my wife's a uk solicitor as well!.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Many people on here did it unwittingly too. If you don't know how things are done you have to trust those around you.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 11:54 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I was single earner, self employed and can never ever remember paying as little as that, more like 25% plus extra NI and extra 8% on profit, and more.
So I would guess you earned more than the average wage?

Definition:
The percentage of gross earnings given up in tax, including any social security contributions. Calculated for a married couple with two children, earning 100% of the average wage.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 12:03 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
So I would guess you earned more than the average wage?

Definition:
The percentage of gross earnings given up in tax, including any social security contributions. Calculated for a married couple with two children, earning 100% of the average wage.
Oh, I can see why now if those figures are based on an average wage, which would be ???
If it is an average wage for a plumber, I would say I was well below, but still taxed a lot more than those figures.
An average wage is difficult to work out, does it include a Mcdonald helper and Ronaldo etc ?
Its a bit like saying an average piece of string.

Last edited by jdr; Aug 2nd 2007 at 12:06 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 12:22 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Oh, I can see why now if those figures are based on an average wage, which would be ???
If it is an average wage for a plumber, I would say I was well below, but still taxed a lot more than those figures.
An average wage is difficult to work out, does it include a Mcdonald helper and Ronaldo etc ?
Its a bit like saying an average piece of string.
Well if you have a million pieces of string and you know the length of each one it's very easy to work out the average length.

Average gross UK salary in the relevant period: £24,600
Judging by the hourly rates charged by plumbers I would guess you were on more than that?

see page 10:
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/article...ay_Dec2002.pdf
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 12:33 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Well if you have a million pieces of string and you know the length of each one it's very easy to work out the average length.

Average gross UK salary in the relevant period: £24,600
Judging by the hourly rates charged by plumbers I would guess you were on more than that?

see page 10:
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/article...ay_Dec2002.pdf
You have been watching too many rogue plumbers programs on the TV.
Over 2 grand a month,,, yeah in my dreams.
I was earning less than that and paying more tax than shown there...
Maybe I should of employed you as my accountant. ;-))
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 12:34 pm
A lion in your lap

Originally Posted by jdr
Maybe I should of employed you as my accountant. ;-))
sorry, I'm a civil engineer
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 12:55 pm
A lion in your lap

btw there's also this:

Income Tax rates by Country based on OECD 2005 data (includes employer payroll tax contributions that some countries impose for programs like social security and health care).

I suspect the other stuff (which also came from the OECD) takes into account all forms of taxation other than direct taxation on earnings.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

That is fairly irrelevant though.

If someone told me I only had to pay income tax and national insurance, I would be very happy. I would be able to go fill my car up with petrol and pay no tax. Or if someone told me I didn't have to pay any tax at all, I would be really happy...I might get a bit annoyed when I have to pay £20 for a loaf of bread though.

What really matters is how far the money gets me after I have had the income tax and national insurance taken away.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 1:26 pm
Run Forrest, Run.....

Rocky Balboa is on a distinguished road

When in Spain do as the Spanish do.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

zerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Tax Dodgers and Black Money in Spain

This genius idea would give us the same level of infastructure and services as Ethiopia.My replies in bold type.

Originally Posted by Big Pete
I reckon they should abolish tax on earnings

Now you will probably say yea well you would say that

But here me out here for a second , then you can post your usual crap about how much you love paying your tax ,and how lucky you are that whilst you toil away you are earning for the good of the others blah blah blah

Right you wake up in your house , if its purchased you would of paid STAMP DUTY ie. Tax number 1 . + VAT on legal fees rmovals etc etc.How often do you move house? For the privilage of living in it cost you Council TAX whilst you sleep.
The bed you slept in would of had 17.5 % VAT on it .How often do you buy a new bed?
The Kettle you boiled your water for youre first Cuppa , would of had VAT on it.How often do you change your kettle?
If you smoked your first Cigarette you have payed 50% TAX If they don't smoke or buy smuggled fags they pay no tax
You will then jump in your car , Purchase TAX paid and VAT paid
You then use Road Fuel 50% TAX.If they don't drive they pay no tax
You go and do your weekly Shop and it has yes u guessed it 17.5 VAT Tax
On Food is not taxed and on this goes with Tax Tax Tax ..

To cap it all if you have been frugil with your money and then die !! Yes along comes the Tax Man and says yippee this boring Sod has left loads we will let the relatives keep a bit then slap him with Death Duties Tax and then grab a lovely slice of his assetts as well Depends on your point of view.Many people who inherit money have done nothing to earn it

Now anyone who can beat this system with regards Cash in hand i say Good on them
Because being honest we are Taxed to a disgusting level in the Uk anyways

So now i will await the many remarks from the Whiter than white brigade
Not whiter than white.I don't mind paying tax so long as it is spent wisely-which in the UK it often is not(£billions wasted on non working scroungers etc).If you think the idea above is good then move to one of the minimal tax countries and find what happens when you need decent schools/hospitals etc(you have to pay huge amounts for them).
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 4:08 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

If you Tax Dodge on your earnings then surely you don't deserve the benefits tax paying brings such as health care, community faciities, roads, etc - why should others pay for your benefits?

You want the work/benefits from a community that has been built up through some tax system but you want to rob it of resources.

If you dont subscribe to a tax system then drop-out and make your own - try becoming self-sufficient then !

Yep tax goes to waste, corruption is rife - that's maybe the catalsyt that sparks all this off... but isnt that why we are all on a slippery slope?

GREED - pure and simple - and there ain't no cure!
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 7:38 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoJohn
Erm, it's 6 years old? Since Gordon Brown did a way with the lowest tax bracket in his last budget, I would be interested in what it is now.

Although, I can't argue figures with you. If we look at the official tax rates for Spain and then the UK, I would concede that Spain is higher on percentage. 28% in Spain for me vs my 22% in the UK. National Insurance or Social security is also more expensive in Spain. No arguments about that. It isn't a lot more expensive though.

Then it swings over to Spain. Council tax, council tax is 10 times higher in the UK than in Spain (something the website you quoted didn't take into account?)
Utility bills are generally a lot cheaper in Spain. Phones, less line rental and also free calls to landlines in Spain. The price of food is lower, assuming you don't try to buy English brands.

I could go on and on about what Spain is cheaper for, but really it comes down to lifestyle. I think what BigPete was saying, in a humorous way, is you have stealth taxes on almost everything in the UK. So although the tax rates are slightly higher in Spain, the cost of living is lower in Spain. Some estimate by 30%, but that could go up or down depending how you live.

Originally Posted by jdr
I was single earner, self employed and can never ever remember paying as little as that, more like 25% plus extra NI and extra 8% on profit, and more.

Originally Posted by zerohero
This genius idea would give us the same level of infastructure and services as Ethiopia.My replies in bold type.

Not whiter than white.I don't mind paying tax so long as it is spent wisely-which in the UK it often is not(£billions wasted on non working scroungers etc).If you think the idea above is good then move to one of the minimal tax countries and find what happens when you need decent schools/hospitals etc(you have to pay huge amounts for them).

Told you the gang would join in Well as per usual nothing but crap is said in this post . I dont use schools !! And healthcare is paid from NI contributions And i am actually a firm believer pay for what you use .

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
If you Tax Dodge on your earnings then surely you don't deserve the benefits tax paying brings such as health care, community faciities, roads, etc - why should others pay for your benefits?

You want the work/benefits from a community that has been built up through some tax system but you want to rob it of resources.

If you dont subscribe to a tax system then drop-out and make your own - try becoming self-sufficient then !

Yep tax goes to waste, corruption is rife - that's maybe the catalsyt that sparks all this off... but isnt that why we are all on a slippery slope?

GREED - pure and simple - and there ain't no cure!
Heres the stalkers other buddy !!
Once again Tax on earnings is not supposed to pay our Health Care that is NI payments !! Roads paid by "incredibly its called Road tax "

Damn i am to good
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:06 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Told you the gang would join in Well as per usual nothing but crap is said in this post . I dont use schools !! And healthcare is paid from NI contributions And i am actually a firm believer pay for what you use .

Once again Tax on earnings is not supposed to pay our Health Care that is NI payments !! Roads paid by "incredibly its called Road tax "

Damn i am to good
wish.............................................. ...

............................not worth it
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

zerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Tax Dodgers and Black Money in Spain

Damn i am to good

As usual when you can't face facts you retreat into dismissal mode and say its all "crap".Very easy and not at all clever.Its a fact that the NHS is paid for out of general taxation - NI payments wouldn't even cover NHS catering costs.If its true that you never went to/used schools then that's something I can actually believe!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.