Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tax Dodgers and Black Money in Spain

Tax Dodgers and Black Money in Spain

Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:21 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Dodgers and Black Money in Spain

Originally Posted by zerohero
As usual when you can't face facts you retreat into dismissal mode and say its all "crap".Very easy and not at all clever.Its a fact that the NHS is paid for out of general taxation - NI payments wouldn't even cover NHS catering costs.If its true that you never went to/used schools then that's something I can actually believe!
Have you not heard of private schools ??
Didnt they have them in zero land ?
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:31 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Pete

I just wondered, you mentioned death duty tax in the UK. Have you actually researched what will happen to the value of your goods and chattels in Spain when you peg it. If you think UK death dutues are a rip off, wait till your family get stuffed by em in Spain In the UK you get a hefty allowance before tax ... here you get stuff all.

Did you not think there are taxes on goods in Spain btw, on your kettle etc etc?

Think about this reasonably for a change and dont take the blinkered approach
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Pete

I just wondered, you mentioned death duty tax in the UK. Have you actually researched what will happen to the value of your goods and chattels in Spain when you peg it. If you think UK death dutues are a rip off, wait till your family get stuffed by em in Spain In the UK you get a hefty allowance before tax ... here you get stuff all.

Did you not think there are taxes on goods in Spain btw, on your kettle etc etc?

I believe his initial post was actually more of a parody than anything else. Maybe you should read back a bit and take it in the context it was meant.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:43 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoJohn
the cost of living is lower in Spain.
I can belive that - but what discrepancy is there in wage levels between the two countries?

Anyway, I have no particular beef with Spain, and I mainly put those stats etc up earlier to show that UK levels of taxation are NOT "disgustingly high" when comapred to other developed countries.

And as for Pete indulging in parody, well if he fancies himself as a comedian he should consider me a heckler, not a stalker.

Last edited by elfman; Aug 2nd 2007 at 9:46 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by elfman
I can belive that - but what discrepancy is there in wage levels between the two countries?

Anyway, I have no particular beef with Spain, and I mainly put those stats etc up earlier to show that UK levels of taxation are NOT "disgustingly high" when comapred to other developed countries.

And as for Pete indulging in parody, well if he fancies himself as a comedian he should consider me a heckler, not a stalker.
No, let's get this right. You came to this thread without any reasonable knowledge of Spain and then decided to post some figures you couldn't understand of verify, in an attempt to somehow undermine BigPetes post. I personally love the UK, it's my home and always will be. Do I have a problem with the income tax? No! Do I have a problem with the National Insurance? No! Sadly, the UK comes undone there after. My biggest reason for leaving the UK is the cost of living. Is Spain perfect? No! Will I be better off? Yes!.

You took website stats you didn't understand to undermine BigPetes post. Why pretend differently?
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

Sue-Blue is a jewel in the roughSue-Blue is a jewel in the roughSue-Blue is a jewel in the roughSue-Blue is a jewel in the roughSue-Blue is a jewel in the rough

I for one would like to know if elfman is an expat now in usa how come hes in spain forum and how come hes an expert on spain ?
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:14 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue-Blue
I for one would like to know if elfman is an expat now in usa how come hes in spain forum and how come hes an expert on spain ?
Hmmmm good point
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:16 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

You took website stats you didn't understand to undermine BigPetes post.
BP said that tax in the UK was "disgustingly high"
I posted two sets of stats from the OECD which show otherwise, and you yourself seem to agree, at least partially.
Nothing to misunderstand there.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:17 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Pete

The plan is to spend it before they get it Mitzy Cabin cruisers etc etc
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:18 pm
A lion in your lap

Originally Posted by Sue-Blue
Yes I am an expat in the USA - as is clear from my sig/profile.
No I'm not an expert on Spain, and never pretended to be - but you don't have to be an expert on Spain to debunk misinformation about the UK.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Sue-Blue is a jewel in the roughSue-Blue is a jewel in the roughSue-Blue is a jewel in the roughSue-Blue is a jewel in the roughSue-Blue is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Big Pete
The plan is to spend it before they get it Mitzy Cabin cruisers etc etc
Agree with you there Big Pete. why leave it for your kids etc,, spend spend spend thats what i say ...he he
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Yes I am an expat in the USA - as is clear from my sig/profile.
No I'm not an expert on Spain, and never pretended to be - but you don't have to be an expert on Spain to debunk misinformation about the UK.
So why you in spain forum then? and how long you been out of the UK?
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:20 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

No, let's get this right. You came to this thread without any reasonable knowledge of Spain and then decided to post some figures you couldn't understand of verify, in an attempt to somehow undermine BigPetes post. I personally love the UK, it's my home and always will be. Do I have a problem with the income tax? No! Do I have a problem with the National Insurance? No! Sadly, the UK comes undone there after. My biggest reason for leaving the UK is the cost of living. Is Spain perfect? No! Will I be better off? Yes!.

You took website stats you didn't understand to undermine BigPetes post. Why pretend differently?
I thought the info was perfectly valid, if someone says the UK pays too much tax then pointing out the tax wedge of other countries seems pretty reasonable.

elfman is correct, whilst the cost of living is cheaper in Spain, the salaries of those working in Spain are often commensurate with the cost of living and frequently lower proportionally. You will be better off due to earning you income from the higher paid northern European employment market whilst the average joe in Spain is probably worse of in PPP compared to the average Brit.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I thought the info was perfectly valid, if someone says the UK pays too much tax then pointing out the tax wedge of other countries seems pretty reasonable.

elfman is correct, whilst the cost of living is cheaper in Spain, the salaries of those working in Spain are often commensurate with the cost of living and frequently lower proportionally. You will be better off due to earning you income from the higher paid northern European employment market whilst the average joe in Spain is probably worse of in PPP compared to the average Brit.
No, he isn't. The fact you think he is right is the scary part. You can't post two rates of tax (Income tax and National Insurance) and declare a country isn't bad for tax, it's ludicrous. There are literally thousands of different taxes, comparing two and then saying the UK isn't bad compared to Spain is complete idiocy.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Thanks young lady ..
Your welcome Big Pete as i said i dont post often but do watch whats being said and i think you have been having a raw deal on here of late. Very unfair. :curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.