Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tarjeta Comunitaria/TIE/Driving licence

Tarjeta Comunitaria/TIE/Driving licence

Old Dec 7th 2022, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Brighton67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tarjeta Comunitaria/TIE/Driving licence

Hi, I'm hoping to become a spanish resident in 2023 (early 2023 if possible!). I'm married to a spanish national (thats the box I will tick to get residency) and we already have a flat in Madrid. I know quite a lot about the process and the documentation I need - all of that is not a problem. The problem is that in Madrid you need to book an appointment to hand in your docs and you can only book this online but every time we go online there are no appointments available. We have tried this on many occasions. I understand that there are businesses who can arrange all of this for you for a fee. Although I would prefer not to pay anything as I essentially only need to get an appointment arranged I am running out of energy in trying to arrange an appointment. Does anybody know of a company that can help me (and hopefully doesn't charge me a silly fee)?

Ps I've just heard through a facebook page that a UK/Spain driving licence arrangement has been agreed and just now needs to be codified into law. That would be great as it would mean that I will not have to take a spanish driving test. Does anybody know if this is just gossip or there is some validity to this as I've heard alot of untrue rumours in the past but this one seems to be legit.

Thanks
Old Dec 7th 2022, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tarjeta Comunitaria/TIE/Driving licence

Sorry, can't help as I am not in Madrid (appointments in Alicante are difficult to a friend mentioned yesterday) but yes driving licence exchange looking good - at last!

https://www.thelocal.es/20221118/con...exchange-date/
Old Dec 7th 2022, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks - thats one less thing to worry about.

Does anybody know if they actually take your UK licence from you? As its a "swap" I'm assuming that they do but I'd prefer to keep it as its still good for things like ID.
Old Dec 7th 2022, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

They didn't use to but I did mine yonks ago and things change!
Old Dec 7th 2022, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brighton67
Thanks - thats one less thing to worry about.

Does anybody know if they actually take your UK licence from you? As its a "swap" I'm assuming that they do but I'd prefer to keep it as its still good for things like ID.
You normally have to hand in your UK one and then they issue you with a temporary one until the Spanish one arrives; with me it was about 2 weeks.
Re the TIE online, did you try to get an appointment (cita previa) on the police website? That's how it worked here in Euskadi. They gave a list of suggested dates & times which were only about max 10 days in advance.
Old Dec 7th 2022, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. The TIE process is a 2 step process for me. The first stage is to establish my right to have residency (that was automatic before brexit). the best route is through my spanish wife and because of that I qualify for a tarejata comunitaria which gives me a right of residency for 5 years and I can work etc. Once they give me that I then apply for the TIE which is done through the police. The second part of the process is not the problem (well not yet). Its the first one which is through the govt/Madrid website and I can't get a cita previa on that as there are never any available. Businesses/experts in this usually have a way to either get round this or they have a fast track way of getting an appointment (as long as you pay). I have sort of given up trying to do it myself as its pretty impossible so the only alternative seems to be to pay somebody to do it.
Old Dec 8th 2022, 12:36 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

TIE is the general name for the card identifying foreigners, a Tarjeta de residencia de familiar de ciudadano de la Unión is one of several kinds of TIE. TIEs and residency are managed by the national police, Madrid don't get a look in.

You might be talking about the padrón which Madrid do manage, but it's not on the list of documents required by the police (see link).

Also if you wife is on the padrón, but you're not, remember it's her that's applying for this card on your behalf. So ring or ask the police to confirm if they need a copy of the padrón and if they do if it's enough for just your wife's name to be on it. If they don't need a copy of the padrón, great. If they do but it's enough for just your wife's name to be on it, that's also good because you can get a copy online and job done.

If your marriage certificate is not Spanish then just make sure it's got the Hague seal and an official translation. You're pretty much assured of getting a TIE if you're married and your partner is working.
Old Dec 8th 2022, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

DLC
Thanks. I got some of the technical language mixed up. I essentially agree with everything you have set out - getting all the necessary docs is not a problem and I'm not worried about getting the TIE. Getting a cita previa with the madrid police office is the problem (I thought it was the town hall but it is the police - my wife was dealing with that until she gave up). There is no option of calling them or talking to an actual person in Madrid - you have to book via the website and there are never any appointments available. I had the same issue when I getting my NIE and in the end it was easier to go for a weekend away in Alicante and get it from there. You woudn't happen to know if I could possibly do that ie not have the appointment in Madrid but somewhere else where they actually have appointments on their system? If thats the case I will do that.
Old Dec 8th 2022, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

It could be different in Madrid but from my memory when we went online it gave options of where we could go for our TIE in relation to the police part. I think the immigration office for first part of the TIE was only one option which was for us Malaga. We couldn't get a Cita online for the immigration part we had to get the the Cita for that by phone.
Old Dec 8th 2022, 7:01 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, right. Got it.

There should be new appointments added every morning, check early and grab anything that's free, you can always cancel later if you can't make it. I checked every morning between 8:00 to 9:00, retrying every few minutes, and then left it for that day. It took me a couple of weeks of doing that before I found an appointment.

Before that I had spent a couple of weeks checking throughout the day every couple of days but got nowhere... you might get lucky and find an appointment that someone just cancelled but it's mostly a waste of time checking later than 9am.

You can also try different police stations within la Comunidad de Madrid, maybe there's more chances at an out-of-the-way town or village. I would stay within Comunidad de Madrid just in case though.

Good luck!

Last edited by DLC; Dec 8th 2022 at 7:07 am.
Old Dec 8th 2022, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Local gestor will get you an appointment. You probably pay but honestly it's worth it unless you like the idea of trying everyday for weeks!!
Old Dec 8th 2022, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

I've talked to a guy at myNIE based in Altea. They sorted out my NIE for me when I couldn't get it done in Madrid and they were great. Apparently they say they also do residency applications and can sort all of this out for me aslong as provide all of the docs via pdf and do everything for stage one on line (I will have to go to a police station at stage 2 to get my fingerprints done and then pick up my card). I'm not too confident but at £85 its worth a punt (a local lawyer in Madrid quoted 600-700 euros to do it).
Old Dec 8th 2022, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

(a local lawyer in Madrid quoted 600-700 euros to do it) = being mugged!
Old Dec 9th 2022, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally I paid about 100 euros for a gestor to do my residency. I renewed it myself ( as my Spanish was good enough) but boy it was so annoying as the office in Alicante requires you to use a machine to log in for your appointment and there were various Brits who couldn't understand the instructions and were complaining to the guard and there were people shouting at them to get out of the queue so others could use it! Quite a mess - so if you ask me it's a courtesy to get someone to help you with this.
Old Dec 9th 2022, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brighton67
I've just heard through a facebook page that a UK/Spain driving licence arrangement has been agreed and just now needs to be codified into law. That would be great as it would mean that I will not have to take a spanish driving test. Does anybody know if this is just gossip or there is some validity to this as I've heard alot of untrue rumours in the past but this one seems to be legit.
It's true but fully believe it only when it's published by BOE.

You'll still get 6 months on a UK licence though, hopefully it will have been put to bed by then!