Reload this Page >

Taking spanish registered car to Mallorca

Taking spanish registered car to Mallorca

Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

holly85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking spanish registered car to Mallorca

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before, i couldn't find anything though.
My partner and I are moving to Mallorca in a months time and we are looking to buy a spanish registered LHD car and drive it to Mallorca. I can't seem to find a conclusive list of documents that we would need in order to make the car legally driveable once we're there, like transfer of ownership etc,
Any help would be much appreciated,
thanks,
holly
Old Jan 30th 2009, 10:21 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking spanish registered car to Mallorca

]The easiest way is for you to employ a Gestoria. They will ensure the car has not outstanding taxes or fines. If you do it yourself then you may end up paying for something outstanding.
The Gestoria will also tell you what personal paperwork your need. Do not drive the car with out any paperwork in your name. There are no transfer documents issued by the registration offices only by a Gestoria.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly85
Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before, i couldn't find anything though.
My partner and I are moving to Mallorca in a months time and we are looking to buy a spanish registered LHD car and drive it to Mallorca. I can't seem to find a conclusive list of documents that we would need in order to make the car legally driveable once we're there, like transfer of ownership etc,
Any help would be much appreciated,
thanks,
holly
Do you mean buying the car in the UK or on the Spanish mainland?
Old Jan 31st 2009, 11:12 am
Just Joined

hi,
Yeah we are buying the car in the UK in order to drive over with it (and all our stuff!) from a left hand drive dealership. The car is already spanish registered, but we are unclear as to which documents they need to give us so we don't have to pay hundreds of euros to get it legal when we arrive.
Any clues???
thanks,
holly
Old Jan 31st 2009, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

hi,
Yeah we are buying the car in the UK in order to drive over with it (and all our stuff!) from a left hand drive dealership. The car is already spanish registered, but we are unclear as to which documents they need to give us so we don't have to pay hundreds of euros to get it legal when we arrive.
Any clues???
thanks,
holly
For a start, you will need copies of the original owners' id, passport, Nie, etc, and proof that the vehicle has current tax and ITV and insurance. You will then have to do the transfer at Trafico here in Spain and pay a transfer fee based on a percentage of what the Spanish authorites say it is worth.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi thanks!!

that was so helpful! we were beginning to think it was impossible! The dealership have told us that they have the NIE and copy of passport from previous owner.
We were a bit concerned though as to whether we can still drive the car in the UK if we aren't putting it into our name until we get to Majorca, any thoughts?

thanks again
holly
Old Jan 31st 2009, 12:52 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks!!

that was so helpful! we were beginning to think it was impossible! The dealership have told us that they have the NIE and copy of passport from previous owner.
We were a bit concerned though as to whether we can still drive the car in the UK if we aren't putting it into our name until we get to Majorca, any thoughts?

thanks again
holly
You need to check out there are no debts like parking fines, tax due, etc, as you will inherit these with the car.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 2:48 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
You need to check out there are no debts like parking fines, tax due, etc, as you will inherit these with the car.
That is why I suggested using a Gestoria.
Also how can you drive the car on Public roads without registering the car, legally that is. How can you purchase insurance for the car when in the UK, if it is on Spanish plates?
Old Jan 31st 2009, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

The car is registered in spain, we won't be here for longer than the six month period required to re-register the car.
Putting it into our name for the drive across is our main concern, we will organise short term insurance to cover us until we get there.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 4:29 pm

When you purchase a car you need to register it straight away. There is no six month grace period for this. Maybe you are getting confused with the importation period when you move here. BTW; Some say it is only 3 months others say that the period is six months.
I bet you will find you will have difficulty purchasing insurance for a Spanish car in the UK. But maybe report back about your experiences so that others, who want to do the same, can have the knowledge of your experience.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 5:21 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
When you purchase a car you need to register it straight away. There is no six month grace period for this. Maybe you are getting confused with the importation period when you move here. BTW; Some say it is only 3 months others say that the period is six months.
I bet you will find you will have difficulty purchasing insurance for a Spanish car in the UK. But maybe report back about your experiences so that others, who want to do the same, can have the knowledge of your experience.
I think she means owning it for 6 months in the UK for the ability to avoid the import registration tax in Spain, but as the car is already on Spanish plates that wont apply will it? She wont have any leeway time, once you arrive over here you will have to go and ITV and tax it immediately otherwise if you are stopped (not unusual) you will face on the spot fines. But I guess it all depends on the status of the car and if the authorities know it ever left the country
Old Jan 31st 2009, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Taking spanish registered car to Mallorca

Thanks everyone for your excellent advice, I should of known it would be more hassle than it's worth!!
I think I will have to bite the bullet and use a Gestoria, too much of a headache!
thanks again,
Holly
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would give you all an update incase anyone else is thinking of doing the same.

The DVLA have verified that all I need is to make sure we recieve the V5/V5c form from the seller of the car and that sections 6 and 8 are completed, in order to register abroad. (we won't need to do it here)

Also, a solicitor in Spain has advised me that the only documents needed to put the car into our name is the previous owners NIE and copy of their passport, and our NIE number. And of course the original registration documents.

Thanks again,
Holly
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:36 pm

How will you obtain the documents the DVLA suggest you get? Here in Spain they do not exist.
I thought that you would need a "certificate" of where you live. Ours is Galician so I will not post the actual name here. You can obtain this from the local town hall.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

The seller of the car will already have those documents, I already have an address in Mallorca to register it to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.