Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Taking a Spanish registered car LHD to the UK

Taking a Spanish registered car LHD to the UK

Old Mar 18th 2008, 2:48 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking a Spanish registered car RHD to the UK

Does anyone have any info on taking a car back into the UK after it has been re-registered in Spain? Also is the insurance, tax and ITV valid once in the UK?

Last edited by Lionda; Mar 18th 2008 at 3:43 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:11 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking a Spanish registered car LHD to the UK

Originally Posted by Lionda
Does anyone have any info on taking a car back into the UK after it has been re-registered in Spain? Also is the insurance, tax and ITV valid once in the UK?
Check that your insurance will cover you for a while until you register it to UK system, your Spanish road tax and itv will cover you for a time.
Email DVLA and make enquiries.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

I think you are ok for about 6 months in the UK, but if you are planning to stay and not go back to spain (huh!?) then contact DVLA and get your car registered in the UK, its very easy to do and i think it only costs about 70 quid, something like that?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:34 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by painterhombre
I think you are ok for about 6 months in the UK, but if you are planning to stay and not go back to spain (huh!?) then contact DVLA and get your car registered in the UK, its very easy to do and i think it only costs about 70 quid, something like that?

Yes we are planing to stay.

Thanks for the replies I was concerned about the legalities of driving home until we can get the car re-registered.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

naaaaaa!, its pretty easy to do, merely a formality in fact..but to get the official line, check this site out

DVLA INFO here

Old Mar 18th 2008, 5:13 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking a Spanish registered car RHD to the UK

You say it was reregistered in Spain.

Was it originally registered in the UK?

If so it is a very easy procedure as the DVLA will still have the original registration info so a lot of the usual paperwork is not required.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 7:06 pm
Popping in for a chat

Originally Posted by Fred James
You say it was reregistered in Spain.

Was it originally registered in the UK?

If so it is a very easy procedure as the DVLA will still have the original registration info so a lot of the usual paperwork is not required.
Yes, we drove over and re-registered the car here.

So we should be ok for driving through England and quite legal That's good to know. Does anyone know if we have to buy tax again in England, ours is due to be paid now in Spain for another year.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 7:42 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

So we should be ok for driving through England and quite legal That's good to know. Does anyone know if we have to buy tax again in England, ours is due to be paid now in Spain for another year.
It will need UK tax from when you register it.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:02 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

I was subjected to quite a detailed search of my spanish car when i got to Dover. But I had all the paper work (Actually only had temporary owners certificate) and I was only going to be there for a week before heading back. But you will be ok. Just make sure you have all your spanish paperwork on you when you get back.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:52 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

If yours is due now then to be legal you will have to do this and if when you go back to the UK and re-register it there you will also have to buy 6 or 12 month road tax at the point of re-registering (and MOT if more than 3 years old)

However you can probably get a refund on the outstanding Spanish tax if you can really be bothered with the hassle and hair pulling out moments!

But the general rule throughout the EU is the vehicle has to be road legal in the country it is currently registered in to travel anywhere else within the EU.

So in your case you will need a valid : ITV,Tax,Registration,Spanish Insurance.

This will allow you to drive up to six months in most EU countries which includes the UK however some countries opt to change the time frame, like Spain did.

All you have to do is goto your local DVLA office or give them a call and ask about re-registration. I've actually never re-regged a British car in Britain before but as someone already said since they have your cars info on file already I must assume that's how they do it.

You will also need to obtain an MOT and UK insurance for the vehicle before you submit the paperwork. You may also have to get a certificate to say the vehicle has RHD headlights back in it and still has the MPH speedo.

I'm not 100% sure about this certificate but what I can say is everyone has to get this certificate if they reg cars from a LHD country, but since your vehicle has already been regged in the UK previously, maybe they will bypass this, but technically they shouldn't. But the DVLA is a confusing establishment

Side note is you may have to get UK insurance based on the chassis number number of the vehicle and not all insurance companies do this. The reason you may have to do this as the previous UK registration is invalid so doing it on the reg number may not work.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 4:15 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
I was subjected to quite a detailed search of my spanish car when i got to Dover. But I had all the paper work (Actually only had temporary owners certificate) and I was only going to be there for a week before heading back. But you will be ok. Just make sure you have all your spanish paperwork on you when you get back.
Yeah but you had a (waccy baccy) oops sorry Morocco stamp in your passport. lol
Old Mar 19th 2008, 4:23 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Yeah but you had a (waccy baccy) oops sorry Morocco stamp in your passport. lol
Well that "might" have had something to do with it. But I cant be sure
Old Mar 19th 2008, 4:48 pm
Popping in for a chat

Originally Posted by zel
If yours is due now then to be legal you will have to do this and if when you go back to the UK and re-register it there you will also have to buy 6 or 12 month road tax at the point of re-registering (and MOT if more than 3 years old)

However you can probably get a refund on the outstanding Spanish tax if you can really be bothered with the hassle and hair pulling out moments!

But the general rule throughout the EU is the vehicle has to be road legal in the country it is currently registered in to travel anywhere else within the EU.

So in your case you will need a valid : ITV,Tax,Registration,Spanish Insurance.

This will allow you to drive up to six months in most EU countries which includes the UK however some countries opt to change the time frame, like Spain did.

All you have to do is goto your local DVLA office or give them a call and ask about re-registration. I've actually never re-regged a British car in Britain before but as someone already said since they have your cars info on file already I must assume that's how they do it.

You will also need to obtain an MOT and UK insurance for the vehicle before you submit the paperwork. You may also have to get a certificate to say the vehicle has RHD headlights back in it and still has the MPH speedo.

I'm not 100% sure about this certificate but what I can say is everyone has to get this certificate if they reg cars from a LHD country, but since your vehicle has already been regged in the UK previously, maybe they will bypass this, but technically they shouldn't. But the DVLA is a confusing establishment

Side note is you may have to get UK insurance based on the chassis number number of the vehicle and not all insurance companies do this. The reason you may have to do this as the previous UK registration is invalid so doing it on the reg number may not work.

Thanks for that, that just about covers it