Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Taking my motorbike & car to Spain

Taking my motorbike & car to Spain

Old Nov 17th 2014, 4:53 am
Just Joined

Laney50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking my motorbike & car to Spain

I,m moving to Murcia from the UK early 2015 and I am getting confused as to whether it is financially worth bringing my motorbike and car.
Can anyone please recommend an idiots guide that I can read or give me advice so I know whether it is going to be too much burocracy & cost to bring them.
There is so much to think about & arrange. Thank you
Old Nov 17th 2014, 7:58 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking my motorbike & car to Spain

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 17th 2014, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Can't advise you on the motobike but here are some things to consider with the car.

under law you will have to register it after a few months of being here - put it onto Spanish number plates with a Spanish log book. To do that will require some items to be altered on the car. Headlights to dip the other way- some cars actually have a lever on the lights that "does" that. Others require new LHD units to be fitted. You can google the cost of those. Rear lights might also need some minor changes. There is a cost with that BUt as you are becoming resident it isn't as much as say me bringing the same car over and registering it(called matriculating). It goes through an inspection ( none approved towbars are frowned on as are none manufacturer specified wheels and tyres.) then an ITV inspection like a UK MOT.

Now if you like your car and know its history then you may be tempted to continue with the process and pay a gestor to do the paperwork for a small fee. This process is really well covered on Expat forums.

My experience is that the Spanish only seem to sell their cars when they have problems but I might just have been unlucky.

A RHd car poses some challenges here. Overtaking is not so easy and entry and exit of barrier controlled parking is hard unless you have a passenger. Resale values of RHD cars on Spanish plates are lower. By the way Spanish cars are overpriced in my view. Have a look on milannuncios.com to compare against UK prices.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

shazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond repute

we are doing the same bringing car and 2 motorbikes and going theough the same worries as you at moment
Old Jan 6th 2015, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

Hollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivefarmer
Can't advise you on the motobike but here are some things to consider with the car.

A RHd car poses some challenges here. Overtaking is not so easy and entry and exit of barrier controlled parking is hard unless you have a passenger. Resale values of RHD cars on Spanish plates are lower. By the way Spanish cars are overpriced in my view. Have a look on milannuncios.com to compare against UK prices.
Laney50 sounds like it's not worth the hassle of taking a UK car, we will have the same dilemma. We thought we'd drive over on the ferry with our dog, get somewhere to rent for 6 months to get a feel for the right area, and then buy a house and keep our UK car.
This post from olivefarmer is very useful, as it now means we'll concentrate our search nearer civilisation than we thought we'd originally wanted to be!!
Old Jan 6th 2015, 4:41 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

What I always advise people is "If it is a good car, has air conditioning, and you want to keep it for the next three plus years, then it is usually worth matriculating. But do watch out that is as MANUFACTURERS specification and doesn´t have Dealer "added extras".

Davexf
Old Jan 7th 2015, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Blackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivefarmer

under law you will have to register it after a few months of being here - put it onto Spanish number plates with a Spanish log book. To do that will require some items to be altered on the car. Headlights to dip the other way- some cars actually have a lever on the lights that "does" that. Others require new LHD units to be fitted. You can google the cost of those. Rear lights might also need some minor changes. There is a cost with that BUt as you are becoming resident it isn't as much as say me bringing the same car over and registering it(called matriculating). It goes through an inspection ( none approved towbars are frowned on as are none manufacturer specified wheels and tyres.) then an ITV inspection like a UK MOT.

Now if you like your car and know its history then you may be tempted to continue with the process and pay a gestor to do the paperwork for a small fee. This process is really well covered on Expat forums.

My experience is that the Spanish only seem to sell their cars when they have problems but I might just have been unlucky.

Really glad to have found this topic.
Obviously as I'm in Australia looking to move to Spain, I'm not looking to bring my bike/car BUT I also have found the prices of vehicles in Spain to be exorbitant compared to Australia, wow unbelievable actually, I have a 2007 Peugeot 407 Hdi V6 Coupe last yr bought for aud$7k, same car in spain(and built in the country next door), around aud$17k-aud$20K !!
Then my 2008 SLK300 is well over double value in Spain, stunned !
I really thought vehicles would be a fraction of Aust prices, shocked I guess. Almost value bringing mine if they weren't RHD.
It's a case of searching for a desperate seller when I get there and grinding them like blazes.
BTW, with the exception of the UK, does all Europe drive right side of road (LHD cars) ?

Last edited by Blackey_Oz; Jan 7th 2015 at 8:06 am.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 9:36 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Never seen a 2007 Peugeot 407 V6 Coupe for sale in Spain, but no way would any 7 year old Peugeot be worth 11,500€ - 13,600€..... Where did you get that info?
Old Jan 7th 2015, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Blackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond repute

searching last week on 3 used car dealers in Spain, will find for you later,
if you can steer toward somewhere that you know of by all means do.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 10:19 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Second hand cars in Spain are more expensive than, say, in the UK, and one of the reasons behind this is that they do not lose value like UK cars, also they don't, in most parts of Southern Spain, have the problem of salt on the roads in winter, so the bodywork is better, also with the way Spanish drivers drive they do tend to run the cars into the ground, most cars have a good few dents etc within a few months of being bought.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 10:24 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

You might be interested in?:

2010 Peugeot 308 HDi @ 9,995€

2002 Mercedes ML270 CDi @ 7,995€

2001 Jaguar S Type @ 5995€
Old Jan 7th 2015, 10:34 am
Started off with nothing

or 2009 LHD PEUGEOT 407 AUTOMATIC 2.0 HDi SPORT SALOON @ 7995€
Old Jan 7th 2015, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by missile
You might be interested in?:

2010 Peugeot 308 HDi @ 9,995€

2002 Mercedes ML270 CDi @ 7,995€

2001 Jaguar S Type @ 5995€
Thanks for that.

2010 Peugeot 308 HDi @ 9,995€ - Value around aud$10-$12k

2002 Mercedes ML270 CDi @ 7,995€ (Recently sold one for FAR less aud$6.8k)

2001 Jaguar S Type @ 5995€ - (About same in aud$ here)
Used Car Research - Used Car Prices - Compare Cars - RedBook.com.au

Much le$$ in Oz -
Oz Values here - Car Prices - Car Research - Search Car Prices & Values Online - RedBook.com.au
WOW !! I'm gobsmacked.

Last edited by Blackey_Oz; Jan 7th 2015 at 11:01 am.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 11:24 am
Started off with nothing

Prices I quote are sticker prices with a guarantee from reputable dealer. Your red book is for private sale - which are always less.

2010 Peugeot 308HDi @ Aus $14990
2010 Peugeot 308 XS HDi EGC Seq. Manual Auto-Single Clutch

2002 Mer ML270 CDi @ Aus $9,500 2002 Mercedes-Benz ML270 CDI Luxury MY2002 Sports Automatic

2001 Jaguar S Type @ Aus $12,990
2002 Jaguar S-Type SE MY2001

Seems to me, that cars are more expensive down under.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by missile
Prices I quote are sticker prices with a guarantee from reputable dealer. Your red book is for private sale - which are always less.

2010 Peugeot 308HDi @ Aus $14990
2010 Peugeot 308 XS HDi EGC Seq. Manual Auto-Single Clutch

2002 Mer ML270 CDi @ Aus $9,500 2002 Mercedes-Benz ML270 CDI Luxury MY2002 Sports Automatic

2001 Jaguar S Type @ Aus $12,990
2002 Jaguar S-Type SE MY2001

better do ya' Maths euro / aud - http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=AUD&to=EUR you'll see what I mean.

Those "Trade-In" prices are actually the RRP usual sale price, upper end Redbook Values are just a fictitious tool to "fleece" the Finance companies to raise higher customer equity value.(LVR)
What it's advertised for and what it settles for is 2 diff things, the finance companies will loan (LVR) "Loan to Value Ratio" of 80% of advertised price on the "Form 8", so this is what happens to get a customer into seat. Customers read the ads knowing discount before inspection.
Values I quoted are actual, I've been in auto/motorcycle industry for 42years(7 yrs in Vegas).
In March sold one of my companys - Hunter Motorcycles Australia - Home I had over 16 licensed franchise dealers.
That vehicle is what is refereed to as almost "Sale-Proof" here, it's a manual (Hillbilly-Shift) very limited market, the only folks you could sell a hillbilly shift to are Europeans & Aboriginals, they're the only buyers that will tolerate changing gears.
Your Jag Ad you found is dreamer, never achieve close that price(and its an 2002 not the 2001 as the original comparison) Heres a Link closer to your Jag S-Type prices ... - http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...%28SiloType%3d[Brand+new+cars+in+stock]%29|%28SiloType%3d[Brand+new+cars+available]%29%29|%28SiloType%3d[Dealer+used+cars]%29%29|%28SiloType%3d[Demo+and+near+new+cars]%29%29|%28SiloType%3d[Private+seller+cars]%29%29%26%28%28Make{%3d}[Jaguar]%29{%26}%28Model{%3d}[S-Type]%29%29%29%26%28Service%3d[Carsales]%29%29%26%28Year%3drange[0..2001]%29%29&vertical=car&WT.z_srchsrcx=makemodel&sortby =~Price
1999 Jaguar S-Type SE

• 6cyl 3.0L
  • Auto
  • Sedan
  • 200,000 kms

Great Condition Beautiful to drive and very rare sage greenincludes GPS SatNav, iPhone/iPod Dock for audio and Bluetooth for Phone and audio, DVD vi...

$6,900*

Distance from me?
ACT
View

2001 Jaguar S-Type SE MY2001

• 6cyl 3.0L
  • Auto
  • Sedan
  • 155,000 kms

IMMACULATE 2001 JAGUARFULLY SERVICE HISTORYALL MAJOR SERVICE NO DENTS NO SCRATCHES, PAINT AS NEW!FEELS LIKE NEW ON THE INSIDE AND OUTSIDEDRI...

$6,999*

Carfacts report available

Distance from me?

2001 Jaguar S-Type MY2001

• 6cyl 3.0L
  • Auto
  • Sedan
  • 155,656 kms

Jaguar 'S' Type ( s-type ) Automatic Low KlmsWhat a fine example of this Marque . Always looked after and it showsService History Long rego, Drives ...

$7,499
Drive Away
$7,219*
Excl. Govt. Charges
Dealer: Used Car

Distance from me?
QLD
View

2000 Jaguar S-Type SE

Premium
  • 8cyl 4.0L
  • Auto
  • Sedan
  • 203,217 kms

In Stunning and good example with reasonable km's since 2000. This Jag has a beautiful colour combination of light gold on cream interior, perfect for...

$7,990*
Excl. on-road costs
Dealer: Used Car

Distance from me?
WA
View

2001 Jaguar S-Type MY2001

• 6cyl 3.0L
  • Auto
  • Sedan
  • 112,625 kms

This Jaguar S-Type has climate control air conditioning and a powerful 3.0 litre engine. Equipped with ABS brakes. This car is a great first car. Thi...

$8,000*

Distance from me?

Last edited by Blackey_Oz; Jan 7th 2015 at 12:50 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.