Reload this Page >

::Taking a boat from UK to Spain (Mallorca)::

::Taking a boat from UK to Spain (Mallorca)::

Old Apr 22nd 2007, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

skippernicky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ::Taking a boat from UK to Spain (Mallorca)::

Excellent advice from Finca Steve.
I have just sold a 21 footer here in the UK. Pulled it around UK for 4 years without any problems. Boat and trailer weighed 2.5 tonnes, used a toyota 3ltr, Easy peasy. Your set up is basically the same as large caravan, But a bit heavier. You should have no problems towing it down through France Spain and ferrying to Mallorca. For costs check with Ferry companys and treat as a caravan (prices are the same
Once settled in Spain I will be purchasing something similar. My preference would be to buy one in the uk, Come back and trail it down. A lot lot cheaper in the UK.
Insurance should not be a problem, basically its similar to car insurance (Fire/Theft 2.5 million imdemnity etc - Cost me around £180 P.A).
One thing you will need for abroad is proof that VAT has been paid in the UK.
Also there is a company that advatises boat transport on ebay (Vehicles/Boats and Watercraft).
Good luck with your venture.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

jonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nice

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
almost impossible to do now days mate, they will all have to be registered to be insured and have a ticket so if they don't own it a very simple search with Lloyds will come up with the legal owners.
Thats good then.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice

You are going to have a major problem in Mallorca finding a berth, and if you do eventually find one you will pay through the nose for it.

They do not have sufficient berths for any boats there and are trying to get more built.

When people buy a boat there they will not do so unless the berth goes with it or they already own their own
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

skippernicky is on a distinguished road

Should be able to keep a 24 footer on the trailer, I'm sure there will be slipways available.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 11:58 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big_john
You are going to have a major problem in Mallorca finding a berth, and if you do eventually find one you will pay through the nose for it.

They do not have sufficient berths for any boats there and are trying to get more built.

When people buy a boat there they will not do so unless the berth goes with it or they already own their own
Dad paid nearly £17 grand for ours, and once or twice when we arrived the boat would have been moved to the end of the pontoon!

There are slipways next to the small fishing boats between the two clubs, but good luck getting into the Royal yacht club, the waiting list was a couple of years when we applied.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 12:30 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

The other thing i will say Pete is that if you are planning to do any boating then an RYA course would be a very good idea, I have done the Powerboat 1&2, among others, and it was a godsend, and the Basic Sea Survival course is very useful, the Med can be evil at times.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 7:45 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by finca steve
Pete, if you would like a bit of unbiased advice from an old salt.

1) If you live in the UK and wont be in Spain for a while do it up there. It will be easier to get bits and closr to home so easier all round.
2) Unless you are experienced do NOT sail it down to Spain. 24feet, outboards very small and the ocean is big. Trust me I have sailed across the bay and down here many times. can be good but can be pretty horrid too.
3) Buy a trailer and tow it down. Depends of course on the weight and if you have a suitable vehicle. Over 750 kgs trailer all up wieght means brakes and things so check the rules carefully.
4)Best deal get a yachting mag look for transport in the back and see if you can get a one way load. May save some costs.
5) Finally when she is seaworthy and safe enought to cross the channel why not go through the French canals. You will exit arouns Sete and can then coast hop down the coast of Spain to Barcelona or Valencia and by then will have enough expereince to makee the short hop to the Balearics. You will find lots of offers of crewing through the canals and this is a lovely trip with plenty of chances to stop and enjoy some local scenery.

Re registration. This is not compulsory in the UK unless the boat is going abroad. So it might be difficult to check provenance. If you are worried ask for any paperwork and around where the boat is stored. The yard manager, if it is in one, should also know. If not registered or if you do buy and want to register this is dead easy, costs about £20 and can be done on line check out the MCA.

I hope this is helpful but I would be hesistant to take a small outboard powered motorboat on any long trip out of sight of land without being very sure of it's reliablility and my own abilities!

BTW do you know what make and model sh is? (Not Crispy girl the boat!)
Thanks for that info . Well i see the logic of doing it up first ,but then it would be better as my hobby over there , thats what i thought anyways ..

she is a Sealine 218 if that means anything to you .? its 1989 but says had reconditioned engine in 2002 . I am not a expert at all , just like the idea of sitting in the boat fishing and toodle close in around the island have picnics while mrs BigPete sunbathes and then makes the dinner etc..

Mind you now i am worried about berthing the thing as Big John said . so maybe i will not bother and just wait til i get over there ..get the mooring then the boat .but they are asking more money than what can be picked up here ..

No way would i sail it down , i got lost on the Norfolk Broads
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 7:48 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
The other thing i will say Pete is that if you are planning to do any boating then an RYA course would be a very good idea, I have done the Powerboat 1&2, among others, and it was a godsend, and the Basic Sea Survival course is very useful, the Med can be evil at times.
Yes i think that makes good sense , i would definately do the sea course and things

Even though i wouldnt intend to go out in the middle of the sea , who knows what happens when weather changes , so likewise i want all the safety stuff
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 7:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Big_john

Why is it when i have good plans , theres always some bad news to spoil it

Are you talking about in Palma ?
Or is that for all the little ones ? ie; Alcudia - CalaMillor etc..
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 7:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by skippernicky
Should be able to keep a 24 footer on the trailer, I'm sure there will be slipways available.
Hi skipper

I like the idea of parked up ready and waitting , rather than the slipway .

and its a pretty big looking lump if i fancied a quick 1 hour run for instance i dunno if i could be bothered with all the get the trailer hooked up take it down etc..
I get lazy as i get older i know
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 8:59 pm
Straw Man.

Pete, buy one of these, they are sooo much fun, easy to handle and if I could just get my Quad sold I will be buying one!!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice

Originally Posted by Big Pete

There is always a problem ........................and it dosen't mean anywhere and it's allay's the same ni important dond estas en

Mallorca
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Just beware

As the man say's just be very aware, and also other things are much more available
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:25 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Do boats have log books or anything anyone know ? .
It may or may not need to be registered in the UK but if you use a British flagged boat in Spain you will have to have the boat registered in the UK and the police check on this all the time for visiting boats. You may also need an ICC - International Certificate of Competence.

There is another potential complication if you become a Spanish resident. There are similar rules to those that apply to residents with UK reg cars.

You may have to pay quite a lot of tax to transfer it to Spanish registration and also have to have the relevant Spanish qualifications to be able to use it.

I would be inclined to contact the RYA to get the latest information.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fred James
It may or may not need to be registered in the UK but if you use a British flagged boat in Spain you will have to have the boat registered in the UK and the police check on this all the time for visiting boats. You may also need an ICC - International Certificate of Competence.

There is another potential complication if you become a Spanish resident. There are similar rules to those that apply to residents with UK reg cars.

You may have to pay quite a lot of tax to transfer it to Spanish registration and also have to have the relevant Spanish qualifications to be able to use it.

I would be inclined to contact the RYA to get the latest information.
I think that you used to have to pay 12% import taxes, and as you say you have to have a Spanish licence for anything other than a dingy

Irrespective if you have any english qualifications for boats as Fred James has already stated you will have to have a Spanish exam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.