British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Swimming pool Leak Detector (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/swimming-pool-leak-detector-843231/)

Baggy70 Sep 16th 2014 1:12 pm

Swimming pool Leak Detector

Can anyone recommend a company local to Denia that carries out leak detection tests on swimming pools?
Thanks

snikpoh Sep 16th 2014 1:24 pm

Re: Swimming pool Leak Detector

Originally Posted by Baggy70 (Post 11406977)
Can anyone recommend a company local to Denia that carries out leak detection tests on swimming pools?
Thanks

Firstly, are you sure it's leaking and not just evaporating?

Use the 'bucket test' to make sure it's not evaporation.

Rosemary Sep 16th 2014 1:32 pm

Thanks

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

Baggy70 Sep 16th 2014 1:32 pm

That's the problem....the pool guy says it is losing too much water for it to be evaporation but the builder who refurbed it 18 months ago says it's normal.

It's a holiday home and so we only pop out for either weekends in the winter or in the summer the kids are with us so keeping them out of the pool is nigh on impossible.

In truth I am happy to pay for a leak test rather than keep going back and forth between pool guy and builder!

Thanks for the quick reply!

olivia Sep 16th 2014 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Baggy70 (Post 11406994)
That's the problem....the pool guy says it is losing too much water for it to be evaporation but the builder who refurbed it 18 months ago says it's normal.

It's a holiday home and so we only pop out for either weekends in the winter or in the summer the kids are with us so keeping them out of the pool is nigh on impossible.

In truth I am happy to pay for a leak test rather than keep going back and forth between pool guy and builder!

Thanks for the quick reply!

There are a few diagnostic tests you can do for yourself first and the 'bucket test' is where you should start. My husband was working on a new hotel in England where the indoor pool was loosing water. They called in an indipendent expert to apportion blame on the builder. The first thing he did was close the pool switch all the circulation off and go away. Come back in a few weeks. Where the water finds its level indicates where the leak is. If it doesn't go down its probably in the circulation.

Fred James Sep 16th 2014 2:53 pm

How much is it dropping in one day or week?

Baggy70 Sep 16th 2014 3:01 pm

Thanks Olivia, if I lived out there I would try the bucket test etc but as it's a holiday home I don't really have the time - hence I would prefer just to pay for someone reliable to come in but I don't know of anyone!

Baggy70 Sep 16th 2014 3:05 pm

Hi Fred
As i'm not there it's difficult to say but it does seem to differ from week to week (which suggests evaporation)...some weeks could be 2-3 inches, other times maybe just an inch. I

Fred James Sep 16th 2014 3:43 pm

If it varies, it is almost certainly evaporation which is affected by temperature, humidity and wind strength.

2-3 inches a week is a lot, but not impossible.

It's most likely to be a leak in the pipes. If it decreases after the level has reached the bottom of the skimmers and stops, then you know where the problem is.

If you can't get at the pipes and the leak is very slow, then topping it up is cheaper than digging it up!

Bri and Katee Sep 17th 2014 6:40 am

Mine can lose 1-2 inches in a week, every couple of days or so I have to top up with around 1500litres of water! Its worse when the sun is out and it is very windy, no sun and no wind the level stays more or less constant.

MikeJ Sep 17th 2014 7:38 am

Can you put a cover on the pool? That would reduce evaporation (also help with temperature). Start with a cheap(ish) 'bubble wrap' and if that's successful invest in a good one.

Baggy70 Sep 17th 2014 7:49 am

Thanks for the suggestions/info everyone

MrsMac59 Sep 17th 2014 8:15 pm

Thanks

That sounds like just what we need, but in the Pinoso area. We have had a call from our pool man to say the level of the water in our pool has dropped by around 20 tiles in just a few days. We are non residents but will arrive in Spain in two weeks and we shall then have time to arrange to have the problem looked at. Can anyone let me know what the leak detection test involves?

My husband was wondering if anyone had a drain camera so we could do some investigation.

TLM Sep 22nd 2014 8:40 am

Originally Posted by MrsMac59 (Post 11408696)
That sounds like just what we need, but in the Pinoso area. We have had a call from our pool man to say the level of the water in our pool has dropped by around 20 tiles in just a few days. We are non residents but will arrive in Spain in two weeks and we shall then have time to arrange to have the problem looked at. Can anyone let me know what the leak detection test involves?

My husband was wondering if anyone had a drain camera so we could do some investigation.

If you are losing 20 tiles in a few days Im afraid you definitely have a leak.
On average in good weather you may lose 2 - 3 tiles per week.
You need a good pool company that will do pressure testing on all your pool outlets. To drop that much means it has gone below the skimmers & so the next possibiliies are the hoover outlet or the pool lights. As its leaking so much its probably better/cheaper to monitor it & see where it stops losing water. That should be where the leak is. Then get the repair people in!