Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Swapping a UK licence for a Spanish one? Help please!

Swapping a UK licence for a Spanish one? Help please!

Old Oct 1st 2010, 9:08 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swapping a UK licence for a Spanish one? Help please!

Under the present guidance you would not be allowed to sign on the padron unless you had registered on the register of foreigners.

Incidentally you are only allowed to be on the padron if your "habitual" residence is here. Unfortunately many town halls have encouraged non residents to sign on to increase the money they get from central funds.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Ah S**T!!!!

My certificate was never returned to me when I got my licence (some 35+ years ago).

Do I have to go back to trafico (some 100Km away) and complain? Will they listen?
I do sympathise and others should take note.

I will never change my DL for a Spanish one , ever.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 11:13 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Under the present guidance you would not be allowed to sign on the padron unless you had registered on the register of foreigners.

Incidentally you are only allowed to be on the padron if your "habitual" residence is here. Unfortunately many town halls have encouraged non residents to sign on to increase the money they get from central funds.
In other words, yet more corruption that you (John & Kath) are trying to stamp out!
Old Oct 1st 2010, 11:14 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

we seem to have been round in circles with this one before
Attached Images  
Old Oct 1st 2010, 12:17 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
we seem to have been round in circles with this one before
You're right but it almost impossible for threads on licences, residency or health issues not to get entangled!
Old Oct 1st 2010, 1:12 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

You're right but it almost impossible for threads on licences, residency or health issues not to get entangled!
well the padron is clear - if you don't actually live here - you shouldn't be on it!
Old Oct 1st 2010, 1:41 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest most of the "issues" are clear, the problem is with those who like to "bend" the rules.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 6:59 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

The help needed is clear ?
Should you wish to change your UK licence for a Spanish one use a good Gestor who is clued up on this issue.
Copies of all entitlements/licence details are taken.
You take a medical if applicable.
You are issued with a certificate of entitlement form them to show if you should be stopped by the police.
All info is checked with DVLA.
You are then issued with a temporary licence & at that time you check that all is in order and then hand over your UK licence.
Week later you receive your new Spanish licence in the post.
Total cost ALL IN is about 100eu if you need a medical, less if not.

To my mind it to much bleeding grief to mail backwards & forwards etc etc to retain your UK brief if you live here & intend to stay.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
I signed on the Padron as soon as we bought our plot when the green paper had not even been thought of
perhaps so.. but the "residencia card" did.

nevermind, the internet is a "pinch of salt" environment

i hope everything is good for you and the way that you want to live

anyways, my advice stands as per changing licences.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
I will never change my DL for a Spanish one , ever.

er, why? its just as good and you do actually live in spain, so you are comitting an offence by living outside the uk with a uk registered licence ...

if its out of date and you dont live there.. you cant have a licence there.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
you are comitting an offence by living outside the uk with a uk registered licence
Rubbish - so long as it is valid in the UK it is valid in Spain - subject to the rules about conforming with the requirements that would apply to a Spanish licence holder with regard to periods of validity and medical checks.

It is perfectly acceptable by the DVLA for you to continue to hold a UK licence at an address in the UK that you no longer live at, if you have moved permanently from the UK.

Last edited by Fred James; Oct 1st 2010 at 9:33 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rubbish - so long as it is valid in the UK it is valid in Spain - subject to the rules about conforming with the requirements that would apply to a Spanish licence holder with regard to periods of validity and medical checks.

It is perfectly acceptable by the DVLA for you to continue to hold a UK licence at an address in the UK that you no longer live at, if you have moved permanently from the UK.
within 10 years yes, but if the licence is out of date and being renewed, no.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 6:13 am
¿Dónde estoy?

yes, and that's possibly where confusion started

you didn't have to get a residencia card to actually be legally resident here

I know we fell into the category of not having to at the time

but you could & should sign on the padron as we did
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 7:14 am

within 10 years yes, but if the licence is out of date and being renewed, no.
If it is out of date of course it is not valid!

I should have thought that was obvious.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Swapping a UK licence for a Spanish one? Help please!

But we not then resident and will only become so this Autumn. You may have noticed that buying property off plan in Spain is a long and protracted proccess and then building takes even longer. We started along this route in 2003 and have taken many holidays some longer than others over the years and have picked up as much advice as possible on here and elsewhere to enable us to retire here as smoothly as possible for that a big thank you to all especially "Fred" the oracle.