Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Swapping a UK licence for a Spanish one? Help please!

Swapping a UK licence for a Spanish one? Help please!

Old Sep 8th 2010, 3:31 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swapping a UK licence for a Spanish one? Help please!

Originally Posted by John & Kath
This autumn I am going to exchange my old paper licence for a Spansh licence. Two questions.

1) Where do I find a traffco office near Ayamonte?

2) What paperwork do I need to take in addition to my old licence. I have my Escritura, my Padron (5 years old not needed it yet), my IBI bills and my NIE. No Residenca yet that is also on my list for this autumn. I would of course take two copies of everything and my passport, ID card and some spare photo's. Anything else.
The DGT office is in Huelva

Dirección:Avenida Escultora Miss Whitney, 19, C.P. 21071

Teléfono:959 253 900 - Información general: 060

Fax:959 260 205

You will need the new certificate of registration, your passport, old licence and photos.

You should not need the Padron certificate as now you have to get the new certificate before they will put you on the Padron, which is only for residents.

A 5 year old Padron certificate is worthless - if you are ever asked for one it will probably not be accepted if it is more than 90 days old - it depends who is asking for it.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 4:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James

You will need the new certificate of registration, your passport, old licence and photos.

You should not need the Padron certificate as now you have to get the new certificate before they will put you on the Padron, which is only for residents.

A 5 year old Padron certificate is worthless - if you are ever asked for one it will probably not be accepted if it is more than 90 days old - it depends who is asking for it.
I had to get a new padron yesterday to insure a moto cause I have a UK licence.
I think they needed to know I actually lived here and not a tourist, although I already showed them my residencia.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 5:21 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

You will also need your medical certificate (I think) plus "wonga".
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:02 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
You will also need your medical certificate (I think) plus "wonga".
You don't need a medical certificate for the exchange - the assumption is that you had a medical to get your current licence (HaHa).

The first time you need a medical is when you renew your Spanish licence.

That said, you need to expect anything at Trafico.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Swapping a UK licence for a Spanish one? Help please!

Did ask at the Town Hall to up-date it and they said wait until you need it, looks like I do now.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Did ask at the Town Hall to up-date it and they said wait until you need it, looks like I do now.
I doubt it - just get the new certificate - you won't get far without it.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:24 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need a medical certificate for the exchange - the assumption is that you had a medical to get your current licence (HaHa).

The first time you need a medical is when you renew your Spanish licence.

That said, you need to expect anything at Trafico.
To change your UK driving licence to a Spanish one you will (almost) certainly need to take a medical test. We did and everybody else I know did as well.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 5:25 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
To change your UK driving licence to a Spanish one you will (almost) certainly need to take a medical test. We did and everybody else I know did as well.
And us - which is why I mentioned it!
Old Sep 9th 2010, 6:38 am

It just proves what a mess Trafico is in.

Everyone I know who has exchanged did NOT need one!

The instructions on the Trafico site do not ask for one either and the relevant law is also quite clear on that point.

One reason why a certificate is asked for is when a gestor handles the exchange as they are more used to handling requests from Spanish nationals where a certificate is required in all cases and they assume (not surprisingly) that it is also required for an exchange.

Last edited by Fred James; Sep 9th 2010 at 6:51 am.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:05 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder why, if the process is as simple and cheap as some posters here are saying, Spanish nationals bother with a Gestor?

Incidentally, back in February we went to a gestor to get our licenses changed at extortionate cost and we still haven't got them. It's been a total farce and I'm sick of the whole thing. I have emailed him demanding our money back. I'm not holding my breath...
Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:27 am

It may be a simple process but from what one hears from people who have had any direct dealings with Trafico it can be a less than enjoyable process - depending of course on where you live.

Renewals are soon to become very simple as the clinic where you have the medical will handle the whole thing for you at no extra charge. This will make a HUGE difference!

The renewal system used to be by post and that was pretty easy (unless Trafico lost the application!) but they stopped that about 2 years ago (why??)
Old Sep 9th 2010, 9:25 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
I wonder why, if the process is as simple and cheap as some posters here are saying, Spanish nationals bother with a Gestor?

Incidentally, back in February we went to a gestor to get our licenses changed at extortionate cost and we still haven't got them. It's been a total farce and I'm sick of the whole thing. I have emailed him demanding our money back. I'm not holding my breath...
Our solicitor was efficient, inexpensive and cheap. Just like in the UK some are better than others
Old Sep 9th 2010, 10:55 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Update .....

I spoke to the Gestor traffic dept this morning about the minibus issue & a copy of the EEC document.
Here in Spain any bus designation on the licence has to have a PSV entitlement, this does not mean I cannot hire a minibus and use it for social-domestic use as my car entitlement will cover this (same as the UK)
For hire & reward you must have a relevant PSV regardless of the number of seats.

So I am now happy as I can hire/drive a minibus should I need as I used to do in the UK to take family/friends to an event.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by playamonte
Update .....

I spoke to the Gestor traffic dept this morning about the minibus issue & a copy of the EEC document.
Here in Spain any bus designation on the licence has to have a PSV entitlement, this does not mean I cannot hire a minibus and use it for social-domestic use as my car entitlement will cover this (same as the UK)
For hire & reward you must have a relevant PSV regardless of the number of seats.

So I am now happy as I can hire/drive a minibus should I need as I used to do in the UK to take family/friends to an event.
I would double check the information you have been given if I was you. Driving licence groups have been standardised throughout the EU, and Cat B (cars) only covers vehicles with up to 8 passenger seats.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 3:55 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
I would double check the information you have been given if I was you. Driving licence groups have been standardised throughout the EU, and Cat B (cars) only covers vehicles with up to 8 passenger seats.
As far as I know it has been like that for years, also the reason most of them only hold 8 people, I had a Bedford midivan with seats when they came out years ago, and anything bigger you needed a psv type licence and special insurance.
Although you could drive a bigger one if it was a charity bus and you were a voluntary driver if took a local council driving test.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.