Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Swapping a UK licence for a Spanish one? Help please!

Swapping a UK licence for a Spanish one? Help please!

Old Aug 26th 2010, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swapping a UK licence for a Spanish one? Help please!

Originally Posted by Fred James
That's cheap - it's usually €35+ for the medical.
it was a small place, literally 100 yards from the traffico building, on the same street. come out of traffico, look left and you see the place, big signs in the windows.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:28 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

That's good to know. There does not seem to be a set charge for the medical as they are all independent clinics.

It's obviously worth shopping around!
Old Sep 6th 2010, 5:50 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Update .....
I noticed that my new Spanish licence did not have a minibus entitlement, this is item D1 and D1E if towing a trailer.
I just assumed that like the UK this is given out automatically when you pass your car test (at least it used to be)
So I asked the Gestor to check this issue with Traffico & they came back with No this is not allowed in Spain, the Gestor was surprised that I had the entitlement on the UK licence as of right BTW.

If you have changed over can you check to see if you have D1 ? and report back.

Thank you.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 7:58 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by playamonte
If you have changed over can you check to see if you have D1 ? and report back. Thank you.
My UK license had A, B, C1, D1, F, K, L, N & P

My spanish has A1, A, B, C1, B+trailer & C1+trailer
Old Sep 6th 2010, 11:53 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Missile.
So like me you did have D1 (minibus) on your former UK issue, but not on the Spanish one.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 12:12 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I have no requirement to drive a minibus, agricultural tractor, mowing machine, electric vehicle, restricted use vehicle.

I understand your concern and I guess we have now lost this entitlement even if we swopped back to a UK license.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 7:48 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I reported this on the forum some time ago stating that this was a VALID reason for NOT getting a Spanish licence.

All I can hope now is that, armed with a photocopy, these can be reinstated should I return to UK!
Old Sep 7th 2010, 8:59 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see it being a probalem.

The DVLA actually have the old UK licence and also all the details of what classes you are entitled to drive in the UK.

The process for exchanging a EU licence to a UK licence is pretty simple but an email to DVLA should ensure that all the original classes are on the new UK licence.

It's the same when you import a Spanish reg car that was originally UK registered. They have all the details and it is very simple to do it - far easier than if it started life as a Spanish car.

Compared to Trafico, the DVLA are pretty user friendly!
Old Sep 7th 2010, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Neptun has a spectacular aura aboutNeptun has a spectacular aura aboutNeptun has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I reported this on the forum some time ago stating that this was a VALID reason for NOT getting a Spanish licence.
You can insist on getting exactly those rights you had according to the
Commission Decision on equivalences between categories of driving licenses:
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...31:0079:EN:PDF

That Commission decision is legally binding for all EU countries.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Neptun
You can insist on getting exactly those rights you had according to the Commission Decision on equivalences between categories of driving licenses .
Have you ever tried insisting on anything with Trafico?
Old Sep 7th 2010, 11:38 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

I will try via the Gestor from the info supplied by Neptun (obliged)
Old Sep 7th 2010, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

when will they learn NOT TO POKE THE BEAR

you can ask for it.. but be prepared to fill in an extra 20 forms, get a signed and stamped copy of your mums uncles great grandmas dogs birth certificate or something
Old Sep 7th 2010, 5:44 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
when will they learn NOT TO POKE THE BEAR

you can ask for it.. but be prepared to fill in an extra 20 forms, get a signed and stamped copy of your mums uncles great grandmas dogs birth certificate or something
That thought had crossed my mind (quiting while I am ahead)
Old Sep 7th 2010, 9:20 pm

It's one thing knowing the law but it is another thing knowing how it is applied (or ignored) in Spain.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Swapping a UK licence for a Spanish one? Help please!

It's one thing knowing the law but it is another thing knowing how it is applied (or ignored) in Spain.
This autumn I am going to exchange my old paper licence for a Spansh licence. Two questions.

1) Where do I find a traffco office near Ayamonte?

2) What paperwork do I need to take in addition to my old licence. I have my Escritura, my Padron (5 years old not needed it yet), my IBI bills and my NIE. No Residenca yet that is also on my list for this autumn. I would of course take two copies of everything and my passport, ID card and some spare photo's. Anything else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.