British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Supermarkets...better in Spain? or in UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/supermarkets-better-spain-uk-577099/)

arko Dec 6th 2008 2:35 am

Re: Supermarkets...better in Spain? or in UK?

Originally Posted by encodeme (Post 7042872)
I suppose I could solve all my food related problems if I moved somewhere touristy as I guess the supermarket there must cater for alternative nationalities. But I didn't come to Spain to be a tourist! I'm just having difficulty adapting to having to eat the same foodstuffs over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.:(

Yep variety is not a word associated with Spanish cooking...bring on the dead fish or lump of meat...grilled or fried sir? Vegatables...what are they sir?:eek::eek:[/QUOTE]

:eek: Fresh from the campo. Much better than eating them in a restaurant!!!!

ForHotspot Dec 6th 2008 2:36 am

Originally Posted by arko (Post 7042798)
Catch up one day?

I think you've missed the point of what bread is used for by many Spaniards. Why waste money on fancy bread if you are going to use it to mop up the remains of a delicious meal. A bit pointless.

A lot of people have sandwiches for lunch as it's convenient & I do buy the healthy bread which is quite expensive even here in Canada. Even if you use it to "mop up" a meal, I think it's good to eat healthy bread eg. wholemeal with flax & sunflower, certainly not the white ones.

Veleta Dec 6th 2008 2:37 am

Originally Posted by encodeme (Post 7042872)
I suppose I could solve all my food related problems if I moved somewhere touristy as I guess the supermarket there must cater for alternative nationalities. But I didn't come to Spain to be a tourist! I'm just having difficulty adapting to having to eat the same foodstuffs over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.:(

Yep variety is not a word associated with Spanish cooking...bring on the dead fish or lump of meat...grilled or fried sir? Vegatables...what are they sir?:eek::eek:[/QUOTE]

Have you ever dared to ask for a mixed salad with your meal? Oh My God....strips of soggy lettuce (that horrible cheap variety), a couple slices of tomato and if you're really lucky you'll get some white asparagus (from a tin of course) and some tuna (also tinned). Oh and don't forget the rock hard white roll that they put on the side. Mmmmm. (Not).

Where's the rocket? or any other NON SOGGY lettuce variety? Where's the walnuts, goats cheese, honey, grapes, or any of the other million interesting and tasty things that you can put with a salad???? Nope, just soggy lettuce for me!

Mitzyboy Dec 6th 2008 2:38 am

Its definately an area thing then
We have fresh milk
we have lamb (albeit you have to search)
we have sauces
we have an international section at carrefour

We have a varied diet and we long ago accepted that as we live on Spain the supermarkets are going to sell a lot of Spanish foodstuffs.:)

I didn't come to be a tourist here either, but we have the best of both worlds it seems :)

[quote=Jerezgirl;7042861]

Originally Posted by arko (Post 7042828)

Well, I miss being able to buy FRESH skimmed milk (I know that's not international:p).

Cooking sauces are a bit lame. I used to enjoy throwing things into a wok and seeing what I could conjour up, but now I can only find the basic oriental sauces - soja, maybe ostras.

Mercadona is the ONLY supermarket that sells cheddar (and just one brand).

My butcher doesn't stock lamb. What's wrong with lamb I ask? Oh we only stock that at Christmas. That totally effed up my plans to bake the nice Spicy Lamb and Canela Pie I had planned. Mmmmm.

Rhubarb? Custard? Hollandaise sauce? Chocolate bars? Rosewater? Lemongrass? I ought to dig out a few of my discarded shopping lists so I could show what I just can't buy.

arko Dec 6th 2008 2:38 am

Originally Posted by ForHotspot (Post 7042883)
A lot of people have sandwiches for lunch as it's convenient & I do buy the healthy bread which is quite expensive even here in Canada. Even if you use it to "mop up" a meal, I think it's good to eat healthy bread eg. wholemeal with flax & sunflower, certainly not the white ones.

I don't think I've ever met a Spanish person who's had a sandwich for lunch. Maybe for tea, but never for lunch.

Mitzyboy Dec 6th 2008 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Jerezgirl (Post 7042885)
Have you ever dared to ask for a mixed salad with your meal? Oh My God....strips of soggy lettuce (that horrible cheap variety), a couple slices of tomato and if you're really lucky you'll get some white asparagus

That doesn't seem to resemble anything I've had as a salad here :lol:

jdr Dec 6th 2008 2:44 am

Most salads are a meal on their own, trouble is most come with Tuna. ;-(

arko Dec 6th 2008 2:46 am

Originally Posted by Jerezgirl (Post 7042885)
Yep variety is not a word associated with Spanish cooking...bring on the dead fish or lump of meat...grilled or fried sir? Vegatables...what are they sir?:eek::eek:

Have you ever dared to ask for a mixed salad with your meal? Oh My God....strips of soggy lettuce (that horrible cheap variety), a couple slices of tomato and if you're really lucky you'll get some white asparagus (from a tin of course) and some tuna (also tinned). Oh and don't forget the rock hard white roll that they put on the side. Mmmmm. (Not).

Where's the rocket? or any other NON SOGGY lettuce variety? Where's the walnuts, goats cheese, honey, grapes, or any of the other million interesting and tasty things that you can put with a salad???? Nope, just soggy lettuce for me![/QUOTE]

It really is amazing!!!! It's the same as if a Spanish person went to UK and complained because they weren't given a tapa with their beer, or because they couldn't find 'choco' or a good 'chorizo' or the hundreds of other mouth-watering delights that I'm still discovering. Lettuce????????? :eek: I don't think anyone would bother, unless they were on a diet.

Goats cheese!!!!!!!!!!!! There are literally thousands of different goats cheeses around the country. Some regions have better varieties than others.
Honey???????? Are you serious. Do you realise what you're writing? If you want a salad like this, buy all the ingredients and make a better one than you've ever tasted. Mmmmmmm....

Veleta Dec 6th 2008 2:52 am

I'm really in the mood for complaining about food today (still smarting from a frustrating trip to the supermarket) so I'll continue....

My Other Half is Spanish, Jerez born and bred, and obviously grew up on "good, healthy, Spanish food".

Since meeting me we have travelled quite a lot and I have introduced him to foods he never would have eaten otherwise.....sushi, the concept of heating fruit and eating it with your main meal, curry, learning that it is even possible to make a main meal that consists of nothing but vegetables and it can still be delicious!

During the last say 4/5 years he has gone from:
1) being completely satisfied with the food that is on offer in Spain.
2) enjoying new experiences and experimenting with new foods.
3) pushing me to the boundaries and insisting I cook things I've never even heard of (his latest "all time favourite" food is called Stegt flaesk...anyone got any ideas how the hell I make that?!?!?).

So I guess I have been the maker of my own downfall. I think he has now surpassed me in my desire to eat "outside the boundaries" and it'll be YEARS before the supermarkets catch up with us.

jackytoo Dec 6th 2008 2:53 am

Nearly all the salads on the CDS have the nasty tinned asparagus on, sometimes those spicy mixed pickles out of a jar too. Spanish kids seem to live on chunks of bread, thats why they are nearly all overweight.

Spanish lamb is like scrag ends anyway, they do a nice Pork though. Lots of variable menus in Spanish cooking,fish with bread, pork chop and soggy chips, pork in pepper sauce, chicken in pepper sauce, with chips of course, not forgetting the boring paella, real gourmet cooks aren't they:rofl: Not forgetting the apology for a fish stew with all the waste bits in.

Even their fresh Tuna is not good as they don't kill it correctly and it is bruised.

Veleta Dec 6th 2008 2:56 am

Originally Posted by arko (Post 7042908)

Goats cheese!!!!!!!!!!!! There are literally thousands of different goats cheeses around the country. Some regions have better varieties than others.
Honey???????? Are you serious. Do you realise what you're writing? If you want a salad like this, buy all the ingredients and make a better one than you've ever tasted. Mmmmmmm....

But I think you miss the point. I am complaining about the fact that I CANT buy all the ingredients that I want to make a nice meal.

And it would be nice if when eating out they could make the effort to put something like the thousands of different goats cheeses on their salads to make them a bit more interesting for me. I don't expect Spanish eateries to provide BRITISH food, I just expect them to make a bit more effort with their own limp efforts.

jdr Dec 6th 2008 3:00 am

Originally Posted by Jerezgirl (Post 7042926)
But I think you miss the point. I am complaining about the fact that I CANT buy all the ingredients that I want to make a nice meal.

And it would be nice if when eating out they could make the effort to put something like the thousands of different goats cheeses on their salads to make them a bit more interesting for me. I don't expect Spanish eateries to provide BRITISH food, I just expect them to make a bit more effort with their own limp efforts.

Perhaps they realize you are a Brit and are trying to make it like a Brit salad and make you feel at home. ;-))

encodeme Dec 6th 2008 3:08 am

And it would be nice if when eating out they could make the effort to put something like the thousands of different goats cheeses on their salads to make them a bit more interesting for me. I don't expect Spanish eateries to provide BRITISH food, I just expect them to make a bit more effort with their own limp efforts.[/QUOTE]
Maybe to cook and serve some of the wonderful veg that can be bought in their markets, and when they do not to cook them to death, like the Brits did for the school meals in the 1950's
:thumbsup:

arko Dec 6th 2008 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Jerezgirl (Post 7042926)

I think you just have to accept that the eating experience is just different,depending on which country you are in, where you live and where you are prepared to look. I'm not going to make any assumptions about where you eat, but Spain has an extremely large number of renowned restaurants (albeit you may have to pay a little more than the menu del dia you find in most Spanish town which consists of hearty dishes aimed at workers who don't have time to make their own food and which are normally cheap- oh yes, and aimed at tourists and many expats who delight in finding the cheapest option every time and telling all their friends how little they spent on something so important as a meal), that cater to all tastes.

I'm guessing you've just had really bad luck all those years.

I will agree with you on sushi though. I love it, and there's no tempting anyone here. I think the Spanish have the right idea. They have a good cuisine that can always be improved. They take ideas from other cultures, other cuisines and make changes to their own in order to make it even better.

jackytoo Dec 6th 2008 3:22 am

They take ideas from other cultures, other cuisines and make changes to their own in order to make it even better.

Any examples?