Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

suggestions where to buy a one bedroom apartment near Torremolinos

suggestions where to buy a one bedroom apartment near Torremolinos

Old Aug 10th 2015, 7:13 am
Just Joined

aussie42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default suggestions where to buy a one bedroom apartment near Torremolinos

Hi guys I live in Australia and I would like to buy a one bedroom apartment cash up two 150'000 euros. Is this s realistic budget? I will just use the apartment to holiday in and eventually retire and live there. Can u trust the real estate people who advertise online? I get emails from right move UK about property. Any information will be appreciated.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: suggestions where to buy a one bedroom apartment near Torremolinos

Originally Posted by aussie42
Hi guys I live in Australia and I would like to buy a one bedroom apartment cash up two 150'000 euros. Is this s realistic budget? I will just use the apartment to holiday in and eventually retire and live there. Can u trust the real estate people who advertise online? I get emails from right move UK about property. Any information will be appreciated.
In Torremolinos you can get a one bed flat for less than half that price

Torremolinos is very ugly though. The exact area you will be buying in is important
Old Aug 10th 2015, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Thank you for a speedy reply o lived there 20 years ago with great memories where would u suggest to buy?
Old Aug 10th 2015, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for a speedy reply o lived there 20 years ago with great memories where would u suggest to buy?
Personally I would buy near the seafront in Marbella. 150k would probably get you a 1 bed there nowadays - maybe not on the seafront, but a row or two back

I love the cities of Malaga and Marbella. The towns between them are much of a muchness
Old Aug 10th 2015, 8:12 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 10th 2015, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

aussie, it depends what you are looking for...take a look around Carihuela (which can get busy or 3/4 streets back on the other side of the coast road if you want something a bit quieter). The Carihuela area is the better side of Torremolinos huge selection of restaurants and close to the beach (Casa Juan Los Mellizos being probably the best fish restaurant on the Costa). As CM rightly says 150k will get you plenty of choice in the way of 1 bed apartment as he wrongly says there are pockets of civilisation between Marbella and Malaga worth considering (not many and I wouldn't want to live there again, but they are there). The attraction for you buying in Torremolinos over Marbella may be that you would not be inconvenienced not having a car as Torremolinos is so close to the airport and has everything you need nearby. If you want to get an idea of prices try this site

MIL ANUNCIOS.COM - Compra-Venta de pisos en Torremolinos de particulares y bancos. Pisos en Torremolinos baratos.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much lived inTorremolinos as a child and loved it. Will check out the real estate primarily moving cos my 2 bedroom apartment just sold for 600,000 dollars Australian property market is beyond belief in prices. I want to retire there and enjoy the life style and not be ripped off like here
Old Aug 10th 2015, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

I know about rip off life in Australia..made a good living shipping kitchen appliances out there. The price differences are jaw dropping even with current exchange rates and for no good reason I can see aside from one more person in the middle taking an extra profit.

If you're going on childhood memories of Torremolinos I was there in the late 80's as well as about 8 years ago for a couple of years living in Benalmadena....80's Torremolinos was a completely different feel to the current place...not only that being older (and I like to think wiser) not sure the 1980's Torremolinos would suit my lifestyle nowadays anyway.

Rent before buying is my advice...took me about 6-8 months of life around Benalmadena to realise I really didn't want to be there
Old Aug 11th 2015, 12:44 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=EllisG;11720714]I know about rip off life in Australia..made a good living shipping kitchen appliances out there. The price differences are jaw dropping even with current exchange rates and for no good reason I can see aside from one more person in the middle taking an extra profit.

If you're going on childhood memories of Torremolinos I was there in the late 80's as well as about 8 years ago for a couple of years living in Benalmadena....80's Torremolinos was a completely different feel to the current place...not only that being older (and I like to think wiser) not sure the 1980's Torremolinos would suit my lifestyle nowadays anyway.

Rent before buying is my advice...took me about 6-8 months of life around Benalmadena to realise I really didn't want to be there[/QU

Hi thanks for your advice can you tell how things have changed? I was living there in the 80s also.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

well firstly Torremolinos used to have some great bars clubs in the 80's heaving with boys and girls partying...now a lot of those same clubs and bars which have managed to survive tend to cater more for boys and boys partying.

Everything was far more condensed on the costa del sol back then which probably accounted for the place seeming far busier than it is today You had Torremolinos then a little bit of Benalmadena built up then nothing much until Fuengirola another gap then Marbella...the 90's saw huge amounts of development with all the bits in the middle being filled in up to Estepona 70km down the road, most of these "new"areas being far more attractive holiday destinations... a lot of the hotels that are left in Torremolinos struggle to turn a profit (I know of at least one 500+ room hotel which was closed for at least a year recently due to going bust, not sure if it has reopened yet).

But enough of mine or anyone else's opinions and guesses about what you are seeking. The most important question you can answer is what exactly you liked about Torremolinos in the 80's then perhaps we can steer you in the direction of where you are most likely to recreate that atmosphere for yourself in 2015
Old Aug 12th 2015, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Anna Collins1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with the others about Torremolinos in recent times, its sad but true. Malaga on the other hand has come on leaps and bounds in the last 5 or so years, its a fantastic city with a year round buzz, great restaurant scene and some fantastic bars. The beach is within walking distance to the city and you're only a few stops on the train to Torremolinos, as EllisG mentioned earlier the Carihuela is the nicest part nowadays.

On the other hand Marbella is lovely with lots going on, a little more expensive but you could easily find a 1 bed within budget.

A few minutes drive from Marbella is San Pedro, once overshadowed by neighbouring Marbella, San Pedro now has its own identity with the money that has been spent here. Some great restaurants opening up and there's a fantastic new Boulevard, its worth a day trip anyway.

Maybe do a few weeks short term lets (out of season when its cheaper) in either or a few places and explore before you decide on where you want to settle, you might be surprised at what you like.