Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Suggest Telephone Provider

Suggest Telephone Provider

Old Feb 7th 2014, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

cleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant future
Default Suggest Telephone Provider

Hi,
With all the current upheaval regarding Satellite TV, I am considering re-installing a phone line into the apartment which was removed a few years ago for cost reasons.
I would be looking for the basic landline/ADSL package. Right now, Movistar is offering this for 38.72 euros a month inc. IVA with free installation and a free wifi router.

People around me are getting respectable speeds with Movistar.

I know of the reputation of Telefonica/Movistar but perceived wisdom indicates it's probably better to go with the devil you know.

I'm wondering if anyone else in the Ayamonte area has signed up with an alternative phone/adsl provider and had good experience. English speaking support would be essential.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suggest Telephone Provider

[QUOTE=cleverdic;11117606]Hi,
With all the current upheaval regarding Satellite TV, I am considering re-installing a phone line into the apartment which was removed a few years ago for cost reasons.
I would be looking for the basic landline/ADSL package. Right now, Movistar is offering this for 38.72 euros a month inc. IVA with free installation and a free wifi router.

People around me are getting respectable speeds with Movistar.

I know of the reputation of Telefonica/Movistar but perceived wisdom indicates it's probably better to go with the devil you know.

I'm wondering if anyone else in the Ayamonte area has signed up with an alternative phone/adsl provider and had good experience. English speaking support would be essential.[/QUOTE?

The local loop/last mile is likely to be copper twisted pair and this is owned by Telefonica/Movistar - the likelihood of fibre optic to premises in Ayamonte is currently pretty remote. Therefore Movistar will be responsible for the QOS (quality of service) of your connection whatever service provider you choose. The QOS depends largely on the quality of the local loop and the distance from the exchange. So the key things you should be looking for in your service provider is price( of course) and customer service (preferably in English if you are not a fluent Spanish speaker). Don't forget you will need to pay line rental on top of any broadband package. Movistar may have an edge there as they can bundle the line in with your package and even add a mobile phone for free.
Movistar, judging by comments on BE do not rate highly on customer service, although this may just be because they have the biggest customer base and therefore the most problems.

Last edited by MikeJ; Feb 7th 2014 at 9:47 pm.