Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sudden water cut off? Any advice about water meters?

Sudden water cut off? Any advice about water meters?

Old Jul 7th 2015, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

lee1lpool is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sudden water cut off? Any advice about water meters?

Hi all,

I`m having a new kitchen & bathroom fitted in my piso which is on the 2nd floor. Today I had the plumber in to do the pipe work in the bathroom, and he capped all the water points in the kitchen and bathroom ready to have all the new appliances fitted. Water has always gushed out in the kitchen, bathroom & terrace when I`ve tested the water flow since I bought the flat a year ago. The plumber put a temporary tap on the terrace(usually where the washing machine would be) for me to use until the appliances are fitted. I`ve been using the temporary tap with good water pressure. Then suddenly the water stopped flowing. All seems fine, no leaks anywhere from the plumbers work.

When I turn the stop tap off & on near the water meter, there seems to be no flow(usually I can feel the pressure flow in the pipe) so the problem seems to be no water from the water meter. Can the water meter block water for any reason, like an emergency shut off? I asked my neighbour and her water is fine. My water bill is paid upto date.

Cheers,

Lee
Old Jul 7th 2015, 9:20 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sudden water cut off? Any advice about water meters?

When my water stopped like that I initially thought that the water had been turned off but the neighbours all had water so I called the plumber in and there was a problem with the water tank up on the roof.

Rosemary
Old Jul 7th 2015, 9:21 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lee1lpool
Hi all,

I`m having a new kitchen & bathroom fitted in my piso which is on the 2nd floor. Today I had the plumber in to do the pipe work in the bathroom, and he capped all the water points in the kitchen and bathroom ready to have all the new appliances fitted. Water has always gushed out in the kitchen, bathroom & terrace when I`ve tested the water flow since I bought the flat a year ago. The plumber put a temporary tap on the terrace(usually where the washing machine would be) for me to use until the appliances are fitted. I`ve been using the temporary tap with good water pressure. Then suddenly the water stopped flowing. All seems fine, no leaks anywhere from the plumbers work.

When I turn the stop tap off & on near the water meter, there seems to be no flow(usually I can feel the pressure flow in the pipe) so the problem seems to be no water from the water meter. Can the water meter block water for any reason, like an emergency shut off? I asked my neighbour and her water is fine. My water bill is paid upto date.

Cheers,

Lee
Silly question I know, but has anyone turned off your water at the meter? When we lived in Spain we had an electrician drill through a water pipe, and he went to the meter to shut it off, it diidn't seem to make any difference, so I went out and found he had shut the water to next door off, not ours. It's just possible that this could have happened with someone shutting your water off by mistake.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 9:23 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had a water meter block before though I suppose it's possible.
I wonder if something has got into the internal pipes when he has been working on them and caused a blockage at the temporary tap ?
Maybe if you slacken off the connection a tiny tad you'll see if there is any pressure beside your tap.
You can still control it with your meter stoptap if needs be.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Does the water come to the taps via mains or via a depository on the roof which is quite common but not sure with apartments. It could be that when you have been getting water it has been from the depository which if not being topped up from mains has now run dry? Do you not get any indication from water Meter dials showing water movement? I turn mine all off when I leave the house but when I turn it back on the dials spin like mad for a very short while. I had to alter my pipework to allow mains water but leave in place the small roof depository for when mains is cut off.