Reload this Page >

Studying Spanish at Salamanca Uni

Studying Spanish at Salamanca Uni

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

NewLifeAbroad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Studying Spanish at Salamanca Uni

Hi all!

I'm interested in studying Spanish at the University of Salamanca and I was just wondering whether anyone else here has done a Spanish course there and what their experience was like?

Also, I've only got enough savings to do three months there, but if I could get a job in Salamanca, I'd love to extend this to a full academic year. Has anyone with elementary level Spanish (not a total beginner but not conversational quite yet) ever worked there? Aside from the usual teaching of English to people, are there any other jobs I could do with basic Spanish. After all, I'm going there to improve my Spanish so I would love to be able to study part-time and work part-time (enough to get by).

Any thoughts or comments are completely welcome!
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice
Default Re: Studying Spanish at Salamanca Uni

Hi
Almeria uni has a facebook page, maybe Salamanca has too, you could try it
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the tip.

I've just had a look but there isn't a great deal of useful info on there aside from a link to their website, which I've already looked at. I was just curious as to whether anyone could tell about their personal experiences of studying there and whether they were able to get a job (full/part-time) with basic Spanish. I assume that because thousands of students go there to study the language every year, there must be a sizeable number who have jobs, even those who are beginners, but I haven't been able to find anything on the internet, just info from different schools offering courses but nothing from the students' side of things.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

siesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nice

Salamanca is a really nice place to study and a good university too. There's always lots of foreigners studying there so there's a good atmosphere for students, culture, language exchanges, etc. I'm not sure about finding a job though, I guess you know how the situation is. Apart from English tutoring I've only heard of students working in bars a few hours as week. A good friend of mine is studying there, I could ask her.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

If you could find out from your friend, that would be awesome!

I think about those who come to England and study English, what they do for work and they tend to do low paid jobs, which I've got no problem doing in Spain, but I don't know if the Spanish are as lenient on language requirements as they are at home (I've worked with some people who can barely speak a word of the Queen's). I don't know of a single person from England who has gone and studied a language abroad whilst having to work to support themselves. I'm not at university anymore so ERASMUS isn't an option.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

siesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nice

I think the language requirements are inversely proportional to the number of jobs. I know many people who have gone to the UK to study/work and as you say even those with basic level of English got a job of some kind. I don't know if people here is more flexible or not with the language but the problem is that there isn't too many jobs...for anybody. I've asked my friend, she'll be online in a minute.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:30 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Not related to the original question but how many people know that Salamanca University is the oldest in Spain and the third oldest in the world (just behind Oxford).
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Just been researching Malaga University as well. Any opinions on Malaga and the job market for elementary Spanish is also welcome!
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NewLifeAbroad
Just been researching Malaga University as well. Any opinions on Malaga and the job market for elementary Spanish is also welcome!
Some thoughts on Malaga, possibly the only city I've ever liked...... 1. Unemployment in Andalucia is I believe the worst in Spain.
2. Andaluz (the local accent - don't think it's technically a dialect) is probably the worst in Spain. 3. There may be (very) seasonal temporary work in bars etc on the Costa but everyone is struggling - see (1). Sorry.

I guess you might get some work teaching English, but not on a proper upfront basis because to do that, you need qualifications and to pay a lot per month - 250€ in the equivalent of NI, even if you're earning nothing.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks fionamw!

I've got a TEFL certifcate that I earned a few years back, but my experience is very limited (six weeks only). It's something I'll consider as it seems to be the only real option for living and working in Spain. I've heard Andalucia has it rough right now, more so than the rest of Spain, so I might turn my attention elsewhere.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

I've talked to my friend and I'm afraid she doesn't know much about it. She only said what I'd mentioned earlier. She know of a couple of foreigners who are working in bars, especially students bars and so. In fact, when I say foreigners I should say students in general. Many students here don't work while they're studying.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 2:04 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NewLifeAbroad
Thanks fionamw!

I've got a TEFL certifcate that I earned a few years back, but my experience is very limited (six weeks only). It's something I'll consider as it seems to be the only real option for living and working in Spain. I've heard Andalucia has it rough right now, more so than the rest of Spain, so I might turn my attention elsewhere.
If you've got a TEFL (hope it's the certificate that takes 4 weeks with class experience) then get some teaching experience - doesn't even have to pay, just get something on your cv. Then go to study in Madrid. Here's somewhere to start looking (jobs not on the web page, but you click on the "Service guide" below that to bring back a page from their magazine. Come September/October it should be quite busy there.

http://www.in-madrid.com/jobs.html

Also take a look at this forum - contributors include many English teachers based in Spain (not just Madrid) so you will get a genuine feel for the opportunities out there.

http://www.expatriatecafe.com/forums/

Another site that may help. Edit: Does not look active, mainly old stuff from 2010 and further back

http://www.tefl-spain.com/

However this site seems more up-to-date, and there are already some teaching posts in there. Keep an eye on it as the new term starts

http://spainexpat.jobthread.com/

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Aug 23rd 2011 at 2:19 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
If you've got a TEFL (hope it's the certificate that takes 4 weeks with class experience) then get some teaching experience - doesn't even have to pay, just get something on your cv. Then go to study in Madrid. Here's somewhere to start looking (jobs not on the web page, but you click on the "Service guide" below that to bring back a page from their magazine. Come September/October it should be quite busy there.

http://www.in-madrid.com/jobs.html

Also take a look at this forum - contributors include many English teachers based in Spain (not just Madrid) so you will get a genuine feel for the opportunities out there.

http://www.expatriatecafe.com/forums/

Another site that may help. Edit: Does not look active, mainly old stuff from 2010 and further back

http://www.tefl-spain.com/

However this site seems more up-to-date, and there are already some teaching posts in there. Keep an eye on it as the new term starts

http://spainexpat.jobthread.com/
Wow! Thanks steviedeluxe, that's a lot of info I can get started on. The TEFL certificate I've got is the Trinity College one, which is the month intensive + 6 hours class experience. I got it in 2007 though and haven't really used it, so it feels like I'll be starting from scratch again. I'll definitely check out those sites.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

I think that the need for English teachers is still popular because people believe that by learning English they will better thier chance of finding a job, so maybe you will be ok