Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Student Residence Certificate

Student Residence Certificate

Old Aug 15th 2015, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice
Default Student Residence Certificate

Having completed her first degree in the UK my daughter has just started an MSc in ESADE, Barcelona.

She has managed to open a bank account at Banco de Sabadell and they have told her that she must get a Residence Certificate within 3 months.

She made an appointment at the Foreign Office in Barcelona where they told her that to get the Residence Certificate she must (amongst other things) show she has €5,000 in her Spanish bank account.

Apart from the unlikelihood of any student having €5,000, the UK government websit: “Help for British nationals overseas – guidance Residency requirements in Spain”
https://www.gov.uk/residency-requirements-in-spain

Has the following under: Article 3: - Supporting documentation

· d) Students, including those who are taking vocational training courses, must present documents proving fulfilment with the following conditions:

· iii. Sworn Statement that he has sufficient resources for himself and his family members, so that they do not become a burden on Spain’s social assistance system during their period of residence. Participation in European Union programmes that promote educational exchanges for students and teachers will be regarded as sufficient proof of compliance with these requirements.

I.e. it seems that a student need only declare that they have sufficient financial backing rather than actually demonstrate it.

I have already paid a deposit and will be paying the balance of her tuition fees directly to ESADE in the next 10 days. I will also be setting up a monthly standing order to her account for rent and living expenses but I don’t intend transferring a lump sum of the order of €5,000.

Can anyone tell me if my interpretation of the rules is likely to be accepted by the Spanish authorities?

Any other advise would be welcome too
Old Aug 15th 2015, 3:20 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student Residence Certificate

The EU directive on residency says this:-

Article 7
Right of residence for more than three months
1. All Union citizens shall have the right of residence on the territory of another Member State for
a period of longer than three months if they:
(a) are workers or self-employed persons in the host Member State; or
(b) have sufficient resources for themselves and their family members not to become a burden on
the social assistance system of the host Member State during their period of residence and
have comprehensive sickness insurance cover in the host Member State; or
(c) – are enrolled at a private or public establishment, accredited or financed by the host
Member State on the basis of its legislation or administrative practice, for the principal
purpose of following a course of study, including vocational training; and
– have comprehensive sickness insurance cover in the host Member State and assure the
relevant national authority, by means of a declaration or by such equivalent means as
they may choose, that they have sufficient resources for themselves and their family
members not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the host Member
State during their period of residence;

Spanish law will be in accordance with this directive.

It actually states:-

d) Los estudiantes, incluidos los que cursen enseñanzas de formación profesional, deberán presentar documentación acreditativa del cumplimiento de las siguientes condiciones:

1.º Matrícula en un centro, público o privado, reconocido o financiado por la administración educativa competente.

2.º Seguro de enfermedad, público o privado, contratado en España o en otro país siempre que proporcione una cobertura completa en España. No obstante, se estimará cumplida esta condición si el estudiante cuenta con una tarjeta sanitaria europea con un período de validez que cubra todo el periodo de residencia y que le habilite para recibir, exclusivamente, las prestaciones sanitarias que sean necesarias desde un punto de vista médico, teniendo en cuenta la naturaleza de las prestaciones y la duración prevista.

3.º Declaración responsable de que posee recursos suficientes para sí y los miembros de su familia, para no convertirse en una carga para la asistencia social de España durante su periodo de residencia.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

My Spanish is not so good but it seems to me that the Spanish law Item 3.you quote
Declaración responsable de que posee recursos suficientes para sí y los miembros de su familia, para no convertirse en una carga para la asistencia social de España durante su periodo de residencia.

is saying what i understood to be the case, i.e. it is asking for a declaration (possibly from me) that sufficient funds are available without actually demonstrating that the funds exist.is this a correct interpretation or is the prase Declaración responsable a false friend?
Old Aug 15th 2015, 3:42 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I should have said that it confirms what you thought.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Try a different bank?

- Eric S.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 4:25 pm

What would be the point of that? The banks do not set the residency requirements, the police do.

It doesn't matter what bank you use, the basic rules about registering as a foreigner are the same.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

I was just thinking that another bank might not require a residence certificate for students.

- Eric S.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 5:36 pm

As I said, it is the police that requires you to get a certificate of registration not the bank. They were just pointing out the requirement that applies to everyone who stays in Spain for more than 90 days.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Interesting. So every foreign student needs to get a certificate? Whether they need to open a bank account or not? If so, I'm surprised that the school doesn't help them with that.

In the U.S., the universities that have foreign students usually have some kind of foreign students office, that helps them with visas, etc.

- Eric S.