Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

stuck with car after friend died

stuck with car after friend died

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of
Default stuck with car after friend died

to cut a long story short,i have a car that my friend asked me to look after as he was not well and had to go back to uk for treatment,he has since died,has no family that i know of and i have just checked the documents and found that the car was never in his name but the defunct car auction that he bought it from 8 years ago
is there anything that i can do with this car,i dont want it,its stuck outside my house,its quite a nice car despite its age(caddilac eldorado)
i would be grateful for any advice
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 6:31 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: stuck with car after friend died

Hi,

It depends on the paperwork that you have / can get. To "buy" the car and put it in your name, you have to provide a bill of sale; and prove the existance of the seller (NIE and volante or resideencia etc). Therefore the executor of the will may be able to do it for you.

If I say that there are a number of unscrupulous people who would jump at the chance of a "non-tracable" car to continue being illegal, the comment may well get snipped by the moderators, so I wont say it.

Good Luck

Davexf
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 6:36 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sensationalfrog
to cut a long story short,i have a car that my friend asked me to look after as he was not well and had to go back to uk for treatment,he has since died,has no family that i know of and i have just checked the documents and found that the car was never in his name but the defunct car auction that he bought it from 8 years ago
is there anything that i can do with this car,i dont want it,its stuck outside my house,its quite a nice car despite its age(caddilac eldorado)
Sorry to hear about your friend.
This may be a bit difficult, you can scrap them but the road tax needs to be up to date and the owner has to do it.
Maybe a trip to traffico and explain the situation and see what they say.
Or maybe if the number plates fell off and somebody reported it as dumped, the grua would take it to the scrapyard.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 6:51 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Here in Cadiz, one has to go to the Junta de Andalucia first to change ownership of a car. Then to Trafico

Davexf
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:06 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I would contact the nearest scrap yard and tell them the ............ as little as you can.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Leave the keys in it and some toe-rag may steal it.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Lake Negratin is an unknown quantity at this point

Are we assuming correctly that this is a Spanish registered vehicle or is it UK reg?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of

yes its on spanish plates,i cant be bothered to go to trafico in malaga as i have heard its a nightmare(my spanish is not good),dunno what to do no point trying to find out about the will as it was never in his name,i do have bill of sale tho but it is kind of not that good(uk owned spanish auction house 8 years ago)
anyway thanks for your replys

any morroccans around? lol
Old Mar 4th 2009, 8:06 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me of the urban legend:

An Australian wanted to get rid of his old fridge. Put it at the end of his drive "FREE TO UPLIFT". Two weeks later it was still there
Changed the sign "FRIDGE FOR SALE $50" and it was gone the next morning.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

g'day caddillac for sale,runs on fosters,xxxx
Old Mar 6th 2009, 8:34 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem is in the eyes of the law you're more responsible for the car than your deceased friend as his name is nowhere to be seen on the reg doc and you're in procession of it.

If you scrap it they will want back dated SUMA as the scrap yard will make you de-register it first or do it on your behalf after you show them some I.D

If you sell it on and the new owner goes to pay the SUMA and finds out it has "x" years owing they will just show the bill of sale with your name/address on and the SUMA may come after you, although technically it is the responsibility of the new owner but if the new owner is refusing to pay who knows what the SUMA office will do?

I did think of a possible scenario of putting it on ebay.co.uk whilst destroying the spanish plates on it and just give them the original bill of sale and say it is for export and is unregistered and only sell it to someone outside of Spain but even then technically there could be some legal come back to you if they ever try and re-reg it in Spain.

So your choice is really as mentioned roll it off your property and leave the keys/documents in it and let someone else have the headache.

You could just be really honest and walk into a car dealer in Spain and explain the situation and hope they are more interested in the rarity of the car than the back dated tax owing on it and would glady swallow the cost of it. But if so make sure you get it in writing that the new owner is fully aware there is back dated Suma owing on it.

Last edited by zel; Mar 6th 2009 at 8:37 am.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:02 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

value the car first.then decide what to do with it.it may be a collectors/classic.depending on the year and the model eldorado.( year.model.engine.mileage.condition. ect) it could be worth any thing from 1000 euro to 100.000euro.just a sudjestion.visit a few european and american car sites.dont just look on ebay or the auto trader or the local paper.example1958 convertible 110.000 euro.1962 convertible 88,000 euro.1995 eldorado northstar 12,000 euro.plain old eldorado coupe starting at 950 these are advertised. not my prices

Last edited by betris; Mar 6th 2009 at 3:13 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

thanks again for your replies,just the plain old eldorado coupe,1993,might contact a garage as suggested,or ebay might be an option,i dunno

not the end of the world prob,will check net for these sites
thanks zel and bet
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:06 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

thanks again for your replies,just the plain old eldorado coupe,1993,might contact a garage as suggested,or ebay might be an option,i dunno

not the end of the world prob,will check net for these sites
thanks zel and bet
If its any help.It was autoscout 24.I think it may have been the german site.they have them in a few countrys.I know what your thinking and yes they may have been advertised by the lunatic asylum but just look at the prices when you log on to it.good luck anyway