British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Stroke after care (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/stroke-after-care-920035/)

Thelazyveggie Dec 8th 2018 8:26 pm

Stroke after care

Hi my elderly parents have been living in Spain, in Torrevieja for the last 15 years. They are both in their 80's now. My mum has recently suffered a stroke, and my dad is not coping well with caring for her. Her brain functions are fine, she is unable to move from the waist down. She's be sent home from the hospital with no advice about what to do next. We've got a nurse coming in, but really need to sort some physio and treatment for her Does anyone have any advice of who we can turn to, or what our next steps should be. Thanks

1sexsmith Dec 9th 2018 7:06 am

Re: Stroke after care

I'm so sorry to hear that. It must be so hard for all of you. I live in Torrevieja and used to live in UK. My ex's mum lived here and became ill with cancer eventually passing away. We intinally moved over to try and care for her but it was so difficult. Both her and my wife were Spanish speakers and had lived here a long time but the services that were available in UK were not available in Spain. It took ages to just arrange ambulance pick ups etc. The Spanish were very nice but the system was frustrating and draining. There is no real care packages available as the norm is that most Spanish families live close to each other and care for elderly as a normal part of their lives. In the end we had to pay a group of , nice, immigrants to just come and clean and sit with her daily. It was all cash in hand so not as expensive as real care packages but after a year it was adding up. My advice would be to try and convince your parents to move back to UK whilst they can and receive home help there. Presumably it would also be easy for you than worrying at a distance.

spainrico Dec 9th 2018 7:45 am

Typically the care system is based on relatives which of course for many Expats is not an option. However it is a myth that there is no care available via town hall services but you need to know the system and speak the language so you need a local's help. The other option is either to pay a 'girl' (not meant to sound sexist, but they are always referred to as the girl who typically lives in and does the care duties but costs around 800€ per month) or maybe a local expat charity service - I used to live in Torrevieja, I don't know but found this on the web:

Medical: Torrevieja & Orihuela Costa - HAH Help At Home - Costa Blanca - Spain

good luck.

Thelazyveggie Dec 9th 2018 3:20 pm

Thanks for your advice. We've got some carers and a nurse coming in now. Got a doctor's appointment on Wednesday. Our only issue is how we're going to get her their.

spainrico Dec 9th 2018 4:01 pm

Suggest a taxi or call an ambulance.

Thelazyveggie Dec 9th 2018 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 12606340)
Suggest a taxi or call an ambulance.

Yeah an ambulance is probably looking at being our best option. We can't move her ourselves, we have tried. Hopefully they will start the process for after care.

caretaker Dec 9th 2018 8:05 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Thelazyveggie Dec 10th 2018 5:18 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12606438)
Welcome to the forum.

Thanks. Been really helpful so far.

dmu Dec 10th 2018 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Thelazyveggie (Post 12606371)
Yeah an ambulance is probably looking at being our best option. We can't move her ourselves, we have tried. Hopefully they will start the process for after care.

Hi, if it's anything like in France, the Doctor will issue a chit so that the Social Security will pick up the cost of the ambulance. The Doctor also organises regular home-care (nursing/caring/physiotherapy but not domestic aid) which the S.S. pays for, at least partially depending on the patient's resources. Some one living in Spain can confirm this.
If they haven't got a circle of good friends to support them, it may be wise to get your parents to move back to the UK, however well they speak Spanish.
All the best, in a difficult situation....:fingerscrossed:

Thelazyveggie Dec 10th 2018 7:21 am

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 12606581)
Hi, if it's anything like in France, the Doctor will issue a chit so that the Social Security will pick up the cost of the ambulance. The Doctor also organises regular home-care (nursing/caring/physiotherapy but not domestic aid) which the S.S. pays for, at least partially depending on the patient's resources. Some one living in Spain can confirm this.
If they haven't got a circle of good friends to support them, it may be wise to get your parents to move back to the UK, however well they speak Spanish.
All the best, in a difficult situation....:fingerscrossed:

Thanks I hope when we see the doctor thru can start the ball rolling. The problem we've had is that she told the hospital she was going into a residential home for care, for one month do they've just put review in one month on her records. Nightmares

Rosemary Dec 10th 2018 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Thelazyveggie (Post 12606590)
Thanks I hope when we see the doctor thru can start the ball rolling. The problem we've had is that she told the hospital she was going into a residential home for care, for one month do they've just put review in one month on her records. Nightmares

There should be some details on her discharge paperwork regarding her stay in hospital and future reviews.

Rosemary

Thelazyveggie Dec 10th 2018 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Rosemary (Post 12606598)
There should be some details on her discharge paperwork regarding her stay in hospital and future reviews.

Rosemary

Unfortunately atm it just shows review in one month with them thinking she was going to a care home Trying to sort a social worker appointment which is proving to be difficult And that's with speaking Spanish as well.

Rosemary Dec 10th 2018 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Thelazyveggie (Post 12606648)
Unfortunately atm it just shows review in one month with them thinking she was going to a care home Trying to sort a social worker appointment which is proving to be difficult And that's with speaking Spanish as well.

That' is a shame, I was hoping that the discharge paper would be more helpful. The process of gaining help can be very slow due to their expectations of family care. I hope that you are successful in your endeavours and send my regards to your mum and dad.

Rosemary

Thelazyveggie Dec 11th 2018 1:55 pm

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and ideas. I've just been to see their doctor, got an emergency appointment, and have arranged for a home visit tomorrow. She's going to arrange things with social services, so hopefully we're on the way to getting things moving now.

Rosemary Dec 11th 2018 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Thelazyveggie (Post 12607340)
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and ideas. I've just been to see their doctor, got an emergency appointment, and have arranged for a home visit tomorrow. She's going to arrange things with social services, so hopefully we're on the way to getting things moving now.

Good to hear. I hope that things go smoothly for you all.

Rosemary