Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Streaming sports and movie channels

Streaming sports and movie channels

Old Apr 5th 2017, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streaming sports and movie channels

Originally Posted by bobd22
Not sure how they will make selling a kodi box illegal? To do that they would have to make kodi as a program/app illegal surely? The box itself is simply an android box, any android tablet or phone can have kodi added. It can also be downloaded on Windows computers.
Clearly, the simple act of possession of an enabled box - be it loaded with Kodi or some other similar platform, cannot itself be policed. I believe their aim is to create as much publicity as possible with a view to highlighting the illegality of such streaming in the hope of deterring users with the threat of prosecution. Actual prosecutions for possession of enabled boxes/streaming will follow in cases where the authorities have been able to trace the user, which given their resources will be quite a simple matter.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KieronF
Clearly, the simple act of possession of an enabled box - be it loaded with Kodi or some other similar platform, cannot itself be policed. I believe their aim is to create as much publicity as possible with a view to highlighting the illegality of such streaming in the hope of deterring users with the threat of prosecution. Actual prosecutions for possession of enabled boxes/streaming will follow in cases where the authorities have been able to trace the user, which given their resources will be quite a simple matter.
I would agree with that apart from i can never see the authorities pursuing against an individual who streams the odd movie for no profit or public broadcast etc. However no doubt before that situation arises there will be some other system available to stream from.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

I very much think it will follow the pattern that FACT pursued with pirate video. They will undertake selective prosecutions across the board to instil the message that no-one is immune. Of course they will target bulk traders, pubs and clubs but in there somewhere you can wager that there will be a few individuals caught up in things just to firm up the message. As has been said, by the time all this happens the new tech will be doing the rounds.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KieronF
I very much think it will follow the pattern that FACT pursued with pirate video. They will undertake selective prosecutions across the board to instil the message that no-one is immune. Of course they will target bulk traders, pubs and clubs but in there somewhere you can wager that there will be a few individuals caught up in things just to firm up the message. As has been said, by the time all this happens the new tech will be doing the rounds.
Yes totally agree. For me personally i only bothered with Kodi as a means of getting UK freeview once the altered the satellite, however now i do watch the odd film but then many do the same via computer without using Kodi. I always thought that advertising and selling fully loaded boxes was a recipe for disaster.

Last edited by Rosemary; Apr 6th 2017 at 7:14 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Apr 5th 2017, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Guys,

This might be of interest to some: What is Kodi? Is it illegal? | FelizTech
Old Apr 5th 2017, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Guys,

This might be of interest to some: What is Kodi? Is it illegal? | FelizTech

I think Post #12 covers this. Unless there has been a Poxit - the EU rule of law applies as much to Portugal as all of the other member nations.