British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Stray dog (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/stray-dog-657070/)

polly.walker Feb 28th 2010 10:07 am

Stray dog

An irresponsible neighbour of ours owns a very cute but scruffy little dog :) which is truffed out on a morning and left to run the streets and gardens.

I am really annoyed about this as I own three pedigree dogs two of which are breading bitches. I take great care with them and they are well kept and always secure within my property.

However, over the last few day the neighbours dog has found a way into my garden by getting into our nextdoor neighbours garden and the jumping down a level into ours and is bothering the bitches. He can jump down okay but he can't actually jump back out as it is too high for him to jump up. As we don't actually know where the dog lives the only thing we can do is put him out of our garden, which is getting quite annoying now, but sure enough he finds his way back in.

Should I take him to the police?
Does anyone have any advice.

Hillybilly Feb 28th 2010 10:15 am

Re: Stray dog

Tie a note to his collar the next time and raise the height of your fences/walls so he can't get in?

billymacker Feb 28th 2010 10:32 am

Originally Posted by polly.walker (Post 8381306)
An irresponsible neighbour of ours owns a very cute but scruffy little dog :) which is truffed out on a morning and left to run the streets and gardens.

I am really annoyed about this as I own three pedigree dogs two of which are breading bitches. I take great care with them and they are well kept and always secure within my property.

However, over the last few day the neighbours dog has found a way into my garden by getting into our nextdoor neighbours garden and the jumping down a level into ours and is bothering the bitches. He can jump down okay but he can't actually jump back out as it is too high for him to jump up. As we don't actually know where the dog lives the only thing we can do is put him out of our garden, which is getting quite annoying now, but sure enough he finds his way back in.

it would only get in my garden once would not be seen again

polly.walker Feb 28th 2010 10:40 am

Would you take it on a long walk :unsure:

jackytoo Feb 28th 2010 10:45 am

You mean spanish practice and dump it somewhere to starve:thumbdown:

polly.walker Feb 28th 2010 10:50 am

I certainly wouldn't do that Jacktoo. I'm too much of a dog lover. That's why I asked the question should I take him to the police. I don't know how to deal with it so the dog doesn't suffer. It's not his fault. I really want to teach the owner a lesson though.

billymacker Feb 28th 2010 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 8381364)
You mean spanish practice and dump it somewhere to starve:thumbdown:

there's always the vets but a bullet is cheaper.

sparkplug Feb 28th 2010 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by billymacker (Post 8381673)
there's always the vets but a bullet is cheaper.

or feeding it some starfish off the beach.......
((BTW this is not a nice way to do it but for feral animals sometimes the only way)

polly.walker Feb 28th 2010 3:51 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but this is not a ferrel dog, It's someones pet. I don't want to punish the animal for it's owners shortcomings.

Does anyone know what the police will do if I take it there.

elspeth sinclair Feb 28th 2010 4:33 pm

report the matter to your town hall as most have a concejal protectora de animales. Elspeth

dmu Feb 28th 2010 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair (Post 8382053)
report the matter to your town hall as most have a concejal protectora de animales. Elspeth

Aren't there bye-laws against stray dogs in Spanish towns? In France you can indeed complain to the Town Hall and they deal with the matter.
(In France, the police and gendarmerie don't want to know, unless it's a dangerous dog, and I imagine the Spanish Police would be the same).
Good luck, anyway!:)

Casita Feb 28th 2010 5:02 pm

Perhaps the thread is misleading people.
It is not a stray dog but has an owner, not a very responsible one clearly and it must be a real nuisance especially if your dogs come into season.

Some of the suggestions on here sound rather drastic, pity you couldn't take it to a vet and get it 'fixed' so he couldn't bother any other female dogs.

The owner may think he's gone walkabout for a day or so and would be none the wiser!

but of course, it will cost! Plus the fact, he could just be one of many!

polly.walker Feb 28th 2010 5:19 pm

Yes thank Casita, you are quite correct, sorry for misleading people.

The dog isn't actually a stray it is staying, it does have an owner. I wish I knew how it was as the dog is regularly spotted on the streets on our urbanisation. I would gladly report him to the authorities.

dmu Feb 28th 2010 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by polly.walker (Post 8382129)
I would gladly report him to the authorities.

Complain to your Town Hall, if possible naming the owner! Can't your immediate neighbours add their complaint, or does he just make a bee-line for your bitches and they aren't bothered by him?
That's all you can do, apart from putting some sort of barrier to stop him jumping into your garden... When our neighbour's dog is on heat, there are inevitably at least 5 village dogs standing guard outside her gate and I have to make sure ours doesn't join them!
This is one of the drawbacks of having female dogs, I'm afraid...:blink:

spain Feb 28th 2010 7:38 pm

tbh dont think the town hall would be interested but you coudl try

in our village dogs often wander the streets during the day and no one bats an eye ..............suppose they just accept it happens

Originally Posted by polly.walker (Post 8381306)