British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Strange mobile problem UK-Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/strange-mobile-problem-uk-spain-899502/)

lutonlad Jul 12th 2017 12:39 pm

Strange mobile problem UK-Spain

If anyone has any thoughts on this I'd be most grateful.

Firstly, am I right in assuming that a Spanish (SimFree) mobile is fully compatible with a UK Sim? (as mobile manufacturers treat Europe/EEA as one region, it's my understanding that there should be no compatibility issues).

I ask because of the following problem:

I have a UK Sim (TalkTalk) with roaming apparently enabled.

The issue. Basically my UK Sim will not accept calls from Spanish numbers. Texts Yes, Calls No. This is the case wherever I'm located (Uk or Spain). A Spanish mobile simply drops the connection when dialling my Sim (not tried from a Spanish landline)

I first noticed the problem after I bought a new Spanish smartphone and tested it with my UK Sim. That's not to say the problem wasn't there before because the Sim is relatively new (so I may not have noticed). Putting the Sim back in my old phone has the same issue, so I'm pretty sure it's a TalkTalk problem and not phone specific. Just wanted to make sure.

bobd22 Jul 12th 2017 1:18 pm

Re: Strange mobile problem UK-Spain

Hi I am also with talk talk in UK I have roaming enabled free now. I have no problems at all with my talk talk SIM I use an unlocked dual SIM phone both UK and Spanish Sims work fine. You say your SIM is apparently set for roaming? You actually have to contact talk talk customer services to set up roaming I did this before I came over. Once set up it remains set up. Of course you may well have that.

lutonlad Jul 12th 2017 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12292722)
Hi I am also with talk talk in UK I have roaming enabled free now. I have no problems at all with my talk talk SIM I use an unlocked dual SIM phone both UK and Spanish Sims work fine. You say your SIM is apparently set for roaming? You actually have to contact talk talk customer services to set up roaming I did this before I came over. Once set up it remains set up. Of course you may well have that.

Thanks for your reply Bob.

TalkTalk have confirmed that roaming is ON.

Everything appears to work ok apart from receiving calls from Spanish numbers (Spanish texts are received ok).

My new phone is also dual sim which I bought in Spain (Mediamarkt).
Other Sims behave as expected.

I have flagged the problem to TalkTalk but still waiting for a coherent response.

From what I've described, would you agree that it's a network/sim problem?

bobd22 Jul 12th 2017 4:33 pm

Not really sure to be honest. You don't use some sort of call blocker I assume? I know I had one on when I first got here and for some reason it blocked all my Spanish calls so I removed it. Also check the SIM settings within the phone. Dual SIM phones often use slightly different operating bands it should tell you which it covers on phone literature. The two SIM slots often are not always same config one maybe 3g other 4g for instance. I have had a few dual SIM phone no issues Spanish or UK SIM other than recent blocker problem. This outlines a bit about the frequency bands http:// http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Wh...8358635/g.html

lutonlad Jul 12th 2017 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12292916)
Not really sure to be honest. You don't use some sort of call blocker I assume? I know I had one on when I first got here and for some reason it blocked all my Spanish calls so I removed it. Also check the SIM settings within the phone. Dual SIM phones often use slightly different operating bands it should tell you which it covers on phone literature. The two SIM slots often are not always same config one maybe 3g other 4g for instance. I have had a few dual SIM phone no issues Spanish or UK SIM other than recent blocker problem. This outlines a bit about the frequency bands http:// http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Wh...8358635/g.html

Thanks.
As far as I know I've never used a call blocker. Is that something on the phone or Sim?

BTW. I've used another UK Sim (PAYG) in the phone (same slot) with no problem, which indicates it's a TalkTalk problem somewhere I think.

bobd22 Jul 12th 2017 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12292933)
Thanks.
As far as I know I've never used a call blocker. Is that something on the phone or Sim?

BTW. I've used another UK Sim (PAYG) in the phone (same slot) with no problem, which indicates it's a TalkTalk problem somewhere I think.

The call blocker is something you would have needed to add so can discount that. It does sound to be a SIM issue. It could still be a frequency band dependant upon what band talk talk roam on. But then I would think surely I would get the same issue? Sorry I can't be of more help.

bobd22 Jul 12th 2017 5:30 pm

Just a quick thought you are prefixing your spanish numbers with 0034?

lutonlad Jul 12th 2017 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12292980)
Just a quick thought you are prefixing your spanish numbers with 0034?

Thanks Bob.

Calling Spanish numbers is not a problem. It's the other way round ie. Spanish numbers calling my TalkTalk sim, with the correct 0044 UK prefix.
As I say, Spanish texts get through ok, but not calls.

bobd22 Jul 13th 2017 7:37 am

So calls from UK numbers to your talk talk SIM are fine? But not from a Spanish SIM? Just another thought. Have the Spanish numbers that have tried calling you got roaming ? If not that may well be the problem?

lutonlad Jul 13th 2017 8:05 am

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12293345)
So calls from UK numbers to your talk talk SIM are fine? But not from a Spanish SIM? Just another thought. Have the Spanish numbers that have tried calling you got roaming ? If not that may well be the problem?

Yes, calls from UK numbers seem ok irrespective of their physical location.

Calls from Spanish numbers (only mobiles tried) do not work. First noticed a couple of weeks ago when I was in Spain.

BTW My wife has a separate Spanish mobile with 'free minutes' that we regularly use to call UK numbers when we're in Spain. It also works in the UK. But it to cannot call my TalkTalk sim. It says 'unable to connect'. But again it sends a text ok.

bobd22 Jul 13th 2017 8:16 am

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12293359)
Yes, calls from UK numbers seem ok irrespective of their physical location.

Calls from Spanish numbers (only mobiles tried) do not work. First noticed a couple of weeks ago when I was in Spain.

BTW My wife has a separate Spanish mobile with 'free minutes' that we regularly use to call UK numbers when we're in Spain. It also works in the UK. But it to cannot call my TalkTalk sim. It says 'unable to connect'. But again it sends a text ok.

Then it must be a talk talk issue with your SIM.

calman014 Jul 13th 2017 8:37 am

Just get TalkTalk to send you a new SIM.

lutonlad Jul 13th 2017 11:55 am

Thanks for the inputs.

TalkTalk have finally got back to me. They've asked me arrange a couple of timed test calls from Spain so that they can analyse the problem.

I don't think it's a SIM problem in terms of hardware. I say that because they already sent me a microSim for my new phone, but it has the same problem as the old Sim. So I think it's something to do with the setup.

bobd22 Jul 13th 2017 12:39 pm

It will be interesting to hear results given I also use Talk Talk.

lutonlad Jul 14th 2017 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12293538)
It will be interesting to hear results given I also use Talk Talk.

I'll let you know.
Spoke to TT this morning. They are passing the problem to Vodafone who they use as their mobile carrier.

bobd22 Jul 14th 2017 5:16 pm

I don't think I have any calls from Spanish numbers to my talk talk SIM to be honest. I will see if I can get someone to try it and see if it rings.

lutonlad Jul 14th 2017 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12294645)
I don't think I have any calls from Spanish numbers to my talk talk SIM to be honest. I will see if I can get someone to try it and see if it rings.

When TalkTalk asked be to do a test yesterday, I asked three friends in Spain to call me...

This is where sods law comes into play. Out of the three, one called me sucessfully!! The other two where not able to connect as I expected.

So the problem is more unpredictable than I thought.

bobd22 Jul 14th 2017 8:12 pm

Just had a friend try my UK number talk talk from his Spanish number and it rang straight away.

bobd22 Jul 14th 2017 8:15 pm

I would maybe check that if the 2 that didn't get through if prefixing with the 0044 they are dropping off your first zero of your UK number? Just another thought.

lutonlad Jul 14th 2017 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12294749)
I would maybe check that if the 2 that didn't get through if prefixing with the 0044 they are dropping off your first zero of your UK number? Just another thought.

Thanks for the feedback.

The ones that didn't get through definitely dialled correctly. My wifes spanish mobile (currently here in the UK) fails when trying to phone my TalkTalk - it gets through to other UK numbers ok.

lutonlad Jul 19th 2017 11:25 am

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12294749)

Just an update. The problem appears to be finally fixed!

Between them, TalkTalk and Vodafone (their network) were not able to replicate or fix my problem. You would have thought that in these days of modern tech, they would have been able to make test calls from a Spanish (or anywhere else) number - sadly no.

So I suggested to TalkTalk that they send me a complete new Sim with a different number.

At this point they said that they could allocate me a new number even without changing the sim. I said ok. Everything now appears to work as it should and I can receive Spanish calls ok.

Have now got the hassle of telling people the new number but at least the problem appears fixed.

Not sure of the technical reasons why, but it seems as though that the original number had some sort of external block on it.

bobd22 Jul 19th 2017 5:33 pm

Thanks for update strange that it is the number rather than SIM. But good to hear you go the issue sorted out.