Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Storing cheese!

Storing cheese!

Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute
Question Storing cheese!

Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone has found a way of storing cheese for a period of time, so that it doesn't look like Stilton each time you open the packaging!?

Having just discovered the delights of the new Mercadona supermarket that has opened here, it's been a real pleasure to enjoy Irish Cheddar again
However, at 8 Euros something a kg, I begrudge having to slice off the mould repeatedly!
I've tried plastic containers, cling film and tin foil - but I either end up with "sweaty" cheese, or the "Stilton effect".

My favourite Spanish cheese comes (of course) encased in wax, and never seems to suffer the same fate. Even if I remove the wax, it will happily remain mould free, wrapped in tin foil.

If anyone's got any ideas, I'd be most grateful. As a non meat-eater, cheese is a big part of my staple diet!!

Thanks!
Sam.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:14 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Storing cheese!

Originally Posted by brisca
Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone has found a way of storing cheese for a period of time, so that it doesn't look like Stilton each time you open the packaging!?

Having just discovered the delights of the new Mercadona supermarket that has opened here, it's been a real pleasure to enjoy Irish Cheddar again
However, at 8 Euros something a kg, I begrudge having to slice off the mould repeatedly!
I've tried plastic containers, cling film and tin foil - but I either end up with "sweaty" cheese, or the "Stilton effect".

My favourite Spanish cheese comes (of course) encased in wax, and never seems to suffer the same fate. Even if I remove the wax, it will happily remain mould free, wrapped in tin foil.

If anyone's got any ideas, I'd be most grateful. As a non meat-eater, cheese is a big part of my staple diet!!

Thanks!
Sam.
You can freeze it, but when you use it then it tends to crumble as its cut.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:33 am
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

Hi
I wrap mine (cheese that is!) in greaseproof paper, it seems to keep for much longer that way.
Yvonne
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

Danemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the rough

Mas y Mas (if you have one near you) do an extra mature cheese in smaller packs (around 250g I think) and so it doesn´t last so long before it´s all used up. Otherwise I would freeze it. As said before, it will crumble when defrosted but if it´s going into bocadillos or sandwiches or being used for sauce it doesn´t really matter anyway. You can still grate it but a bit more fiddly.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

culchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really nice

I, too, use the Irish cheddar from Mercadona, I keep it in its original wrapper in a food storage box (lunch box) and there´s never any mould. Hope it works for you!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks folks!

I'll try greaseproof paper; and I'll also freeze some (hadn't thought of doing that!)
As you say, it doesn't matter about it being crumbly when it's going to be used for bocadillos, salads or sauces.

Culchie, I shall also experiment with the combination of cling film (same as the original wrapping, I think?) and the food storage box. Thanks!

No, unfortunately Danemad, we don't have a Mas y Mas anywhere in this area

While we're on the food subject though................
Has anyone come across Marmite (!) in either Mercadona or Carrefour??
I've seen Bovril in Mercadona, but it wasn't until I saw it, that I thought there might be some vague chance of finding " My Mate" too!

Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions.
Sam.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried Supersol? Do not know if you have one in your area, but they do lots of UK brands.

As for cheese, I ran a delicatessen many years ago, and if cheese wrapped in a greased proof type paper it stays fresher longer. Although having said that, we have been buying VERY large blocks of cheddar from Gibraltar, last time we cut it up and froze it, but it does crumble once it has been frozen, so this time have tried to keep in fridge in large block wrapped in original wrapping after cutting useable lump off, we see what happens
Old Jan 24th 2007, 4:21 am

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jdr
You can freeze it, but when you use it then it tends to crumble as its cut.

You have NO idea how lucky you are for not sending this thread to the Loung!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 4:29 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrigieDarling
Old Jan 24th 2007, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

No, sorry - we haven't got a Supersol either!

We're a bit remote here! Have to travel 18km to get to either Dia, Eroski or El Arbol supermarkets - so the arrival of Mercadona (18km in the opposite direction) was quite a revelation here!

Failing that, it's 50km to Carrefour and Lidl, so we don't tend to go there very often.

Still, we moved to a place like this on purpose, so I'm sure I can survive without "My Mate" if I have to!

Am off to buy some greaseproof paper tomorrow!

All the best,
Sam.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:01 am
Account Closed

Andy Pipken is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Sam.
I STORE MINE IN MY STOMACH,
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:12 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrigieDarling
Be careful bridgiedarling, you have no idea what we could conspire to send you if pushed
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice

No, sorry - we haven't got a Supersol either!

We're a bit remote here! Have to travel 18km to get to either Dia, Eroski or El Arbol supermarkets - so the arrival of Mercadona (18km in the opposite direction) was quite a revelation here!

Failing that, it's 50km to Carrefour and Lidl, so we don't tend to go there very often.

Still, we moved to a place like this on purpose, so I'm sure I can survive without "My Mate" if I have to!

Am off to buy some greaseproof paper tomorrow!

All the best,
Sam.
Sam,

Try this:-

www.britishexpatsupplies.co.uk/

They sell Marmite & other food items you would like and will send to you here in Spain.

Or this :

www.expatica.com

But the first one is the best..

Big_john Spain
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that valuable info Big_john
Have put both those sites into my favourites.

I'm not missing too many food items really - although it would be fab if I could get some Quorn!!!!! (I know, not in a million years in Spain!!)
I did find a company in France that could supply it, but the postage charges were very restrictive

Still, it's all part of the new adventure I suppose........a non meat-eater choosing to live in the biggest jamón producing area of the country!!

Thanks again for the links.
All the best, Sam.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Well, I went to get some greaseproof paper today - but there wasn't any in the supermarket!
I explained to a very nice lady what I needed (and why) and she cheerfully said "Oh, I'll go and get some from the charcuteria for you!"
So, I came away with two big sheets - and it didn't cost me a cent
Que amable, non!?
Would this happen in the UK?? Probably in some places.........

Off to get wrapping now!
Sam.