Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

still not changed my mind.

still not changed my mind.

Old Apr 28th 2009, 2:56 pm
fed up with england

helenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nice
Default Re: still not changed my mind.

Originally Posted by helenba
you can get your winter fuel allowence in spain my parents have for 5yrs .i would look into it helen
loved all your replys i guess we are all going to give it a try in spain some of us might love it some might hate it but then lifes to short and if you are able to then go for it .i will be there soon .helen
Old Apr 28th 2009, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
After winter, and especially after the usual sun starved summer we had, I was desperate for a bit of sun. It was out therefore so was I.

It takes a lot of work to learn even a simple language, and you can often feel that you will never get it. I spent a while learning German, and when I got disheartened, my tutor would jump back 6 lessons and make me do that one again. We would skate thru it without a problem, and then he would say 'A month ago you were struggling with that' , and it would suddenly fall into perspective.

Look how far you have come, not how far there is to go, because the journey to absolute fluency is very, very long indeed. All to many people can't even achieve it in their mother tongue.

I have to say that I am seriously impressed with Michel Thomas. In the past I have tried a number of tapes, CDs etc, and I have to say, with the sole exception of the ealing course (I did German, but they used to do Spanish), they were all crap, they spoke far too dialectly, with too heavy an accent, far too fast or all three at once.

I saw an arabic starter course of his in the remainder bin of a bookshop, and thought it might be interesting. It was, and damn well set out it is too. For anyone wanting to try to learn Spanish, no matter how bad you think you might be, I'll wager you'll find his Spanish course a winner.
CouldnĀ“t get on with Michel Thomas - I think it is his accent. One moment I think I am doing okay and the next saying something absolutely simple and they look at you as if you are speaking Russian.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 4:21 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

you can get your winter fuel allowence in spain my parents have for 5yrs .i would look into it helen
If you had it in the UK you get it in Spain. If not, you don't - simple really and outrageously unfair!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 5:11 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

As fred said, you have to be over 60 and apply for and receive it while living in the UK, then you can bring it over with you.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 6:12 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
CouldnĀ“t get on with Michel Thomas - I think it is his accent. One moment I think I am doing okay and the next saying something absolutely simple and they look at you as if you are speaking Russian.
Eh? The arabic one I am doing was a woman and an Egyptian guy, and two students. The woman and the egyptian speak clearly and distinctly. I wasn't aware that he did cds himself.

Don't forget, Spain is a bit regionalised and the vocabulary shifts from area to area, so if you are learning a castillian Spanish, there will be times when they look at you askance.

The real problem tho is if you get emphasis wrong. for example.
CALendar. With the emphasis on the first syllable.

Now try saying it with the emphasis on the other syllables.

calENdar or calenDAR and the meaning is instantly lost.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Benan is an unknown quantity at this point

have just come back from my little house in thec mountains almeria. oh dear not evem seen the day out and do not want to be here in england .if any one has any money they need to get rid of i will take it of them (joke) in the next few years then i can be there full time. nothing ever changes my mind. does any one else feels the same. helen

just got back from having a long weekend over there, although only 4 days it seemed to drag on for a life time, unfortunately moving there in the near future due to unforeseen circumstances relating to father in laws health. really wish i wasnt, love london, love england and cant stand spain. nothing to do with the people, the weather, the food etc, god knows it was good on all those fronts, its just the place doesnt seem real to me and love my home country! also, dont quite know what i will do over there, looks like its going to be one step forward and 5 back and revert to waiting on tables for a pittance. think i may be the only one on this site that feels this way but ah well, its good to be different.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 4:02 pm
fed up with england

helenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nice

yes i understand it depends on the areas you have been staying in. i think like me over the last 6yrs ive been going to almeria every 10 weeks . i come back to england its not a nice place to be in any more .spain seems to like me and i like it . its drawing me more to spain than england . but its not every ones choice .
Old Apr 29th 2009, 4:13 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

yes i understand it depends on the areas you have been staying in. i think like me over the last 6yrs ive been going to almeria every 10 weeks . i come back to england its not a nice place to be in any more .spain seems to like me and i like it . its drawing me more to spain than england . but its not every ones choice .
I'm with you on this one kiddo.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Eh? The arabic one I am doing was a woman and an Egyptian guy, and two students. The woman and the egyptian speak clearly and distinctly. I wasn't aware that he did cds himself.

Don't forget, Spain is a bit regionalised and the vocabulary shifts from area to area, so if you are learning a castillian Spanish, there will be times when they look at you askance.

The real problem tho is if you get emphasis wrong. for example.
CALendar. With the emphasis on the first syllable.

Now try saying it with the emphasis on the other syllables.

calENdar or calenDAR and the meaning is instantly lost.
I think you are right Bil. I think I am pronouncing a word correctly but not as a Chiclanarian, so do I pronounce my "double ls" as a "j" to fit in or carry on saying them with a "y" sound!! Sorry this has got a bit off topic.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 12:48 pm
bil
Banned

It can be worse than that even. Andalucians tend to drop 's's with gay abandon, lisp some of the remaining ones, and turn 'y's into Js
'estoy en la plajja en majjo' (pronounced to rhyme with badger) = I'm on the beach in May.

Past participles often lose the final 'd' too. Pesa'o = pesado, heavy, and so on.

I have no idea how the Andaluz way of speaking varies from one comarca to another. Vejer, Medina belong to the La Janda comarca, but I think Chiclana falls outside that.

Anyway, if you are interested, we can have a chat if Chris brings you round.

It's not totally out of context of the thread, for me the challenge of a new language, with all its complexities and irregularities is part of why I want to be where we are. Agreed, it's more work, but in the end, it's worth it to me.

The only thing I can suggest is that you pay very close attention to what the Spanish say, and how they say it. Try and grasp the difference between what you would say, and what they do and try and change what you say accordingly.