Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

still not changed my mind.

still not changed my mind.

Old Apr 25th 2009, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: still not changed my mind.

The weather was the biggest reason for us moving to Spain. As you get older the summers get shorter and shorter and yes I agree that once you get to the beginning of May you have a long, long summer to look forward to. I don´t even mind the winters here - yes the rain and wind can get you down but when the sun does shine and the wind does disappear it can be quite glorious. I still reiterate though that I do get bored and miss working even if only for a few hours a week. I just do not find gardening, painting etc gives the same feeling as using your brain in a work atmosphere, plus the fact that you have colleagues to interact with. I also think it makes you appreciate your "spare time" more. However, everyone to their own. It would be fantastic if I could find a small job over here but that is "blowing in the wind"!
Old Apr 25th 2009, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bil
Thank you for the compliment. My favourite quote always is that you can cure any problem by throwing money(and time) at it. The trick is to throw the least money to the greatest effect.

Therein lies the skill.

I wasn't aiming those comments at you, they were aimed at the people who are stupid enough to believe that we are incapable of seeing Spain as anything less than perfect.

Of course it isn't perfect. The winters can be a bastard, the rain torrential, and I hate Spanish winters like poison. The diference is that I know that there will be a cracking summer to follow. In the UK the joke that 'we hope summer falls on a weekend' sadly isn't a joke, but an astute comment on how crap the UK climate really is.

After all, we know perfectly wel that the whole year can be crap, with just enough sunshine to remind us of what we are missing.

Like you, I would far rather be in Spain. If someone solved my problems so I could take early retirement, but the price was that I would never be able to return to the UK, I'd take it like a shot and consider myself doubly blessed.
My Inlaws here had 2 bbqs last summer, (they would normally have one every other week) enough said .I have had half a dozen in Spain this year so far !!
Old Apr 25th 2009, 12:01 pm
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Having worked both in Spain for many years and now working in the UK.

I prefer the livestyle in the UK, having said that I maybe lucky and found a good location in the UK.

I had a good location in Spain, so comparing the 2 I prefer the UK.

Location has a lot to do with experience.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
The weather was the biggest reason for us moving to Spain. As you get older the summers get shorter and shorter and yes I agree that once you get to the beginning of May you have a long, long summer to look forward to. I don´t even mind the winters here - yes the rain and wind can get you down but when the sun does shine and the wind does disappear it can be quite glorious. I still reiterate though that I do get bored and miss working even if only for a few hours a week. I just do not find gardening, painting etc gives the same feeling as using your brain in a work atmosphere, plus the fact that you have colleagues to interact with. I also think it makes you appreciate your "spare time" more. However, everyone to their own. It would be fantastic if I could find a small job over here but that is "blowing in the wind"!
Why not try what I and many like me do, Commute and you have the best of both or is that "teach your grandmother to suck eggs " scenario.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 12:32 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Well, everyone is different. As I am now getting into my late fifties, I have m eye on retirment and a quieter life. If you are lucky enough to have a job that is challenging, excites you an you would rather do that than retire, good for you. It's beyond my comprehension. I hate working for other people, and have been self employed for most of my working life, - some 30 years now.

Weather. The summers don't get shorter, they have been getting worse. The weatherman a while back was asked why the weather was so crap, replied ' this isn't crap weather, it's average', which is pretty damn depressing.

This year you could sunbathe naked in February, march and April in Spain.

I loathe the climate here, I hate the feeling that like the Red Queen, you have to run faster and faster to stand still, and I dislike the way that everything is regimented and taxed to death. I cannot wait to leave.

UK lifestyle? The drunks and aggressive idiots vomiting in the streets? The fact that I can't sit outside and enjoy the garden like I can in Spain? The absence of cafe culture? The fact that people will hardly smile? That I know sod all of my neighbours to speak to? Imagine how I would miss all that!

As for intellectual stimulation, well, there's the language to learn. That requires a good input that will help keep your brain in trim. I'm starting to have a look at learning Arabic so that if we go to north Africa I can trade a word or two. Plus it's an interesting language. Then there's skills to learn. I'm learning to weld, and I'd like to build a curving metal staircase up to the roof so that working up there will be easier.

The list is almost endless. Birdwatching, fishing, nature studies, exploring the famous historical sites, dammit, even if I retire tomorrow, where will I find the time to do all that I want??
Old Apr 25th 2009, 1:29 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
So its you I heard on Radio 2 yesterday!
Lol not me, I have only been on Radio Essex and that was having a go at a VAT man who said that any builder that does not supply a vat invoice is illegal.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdr
Lol not me, I have only been on Radio Essex and that was having a go at a VAT man who said that any builder that does not supply a vat invoice is illegal.
Hope you gave him what for !!
Old Apr 25th 2009, 1:41 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hondon Voyager
Hope you gave him what for !!
After explaining that maybe they earned below the VAT registration limit he changed his tune, even the presenter had a go and told him to amend the leaflets that the taxman was sending out to grass people up.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdr
After explaining that maybe they earned below the VAT registration limit he changed his tune, even the presenter had a go and told him to amend the leaflets that the taxman was sending out to grass people up.
Nice to get one over on those tw*ts
Old Apr 25th 2009, 1:47 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Unless of course they mark you down as someone to pay attention to....
Old Apr 25th 2009, 1:50 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by bil
Unless of course they mark you down as someone to pay attention to....
I said my name was Bil. ;-))
Old Apr 25th 2009, 2:10 pm
bil
Banned

Y'bassa!

So that's why I've been having all that grief!
Old Apr 25th 2009, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Well, everyone is different. As I am now getting into my late fifties, I have m eye on retirment and a quieter life. If you are lucky enough to have a job that is challenging, excites you an you would rather do that than retire, good for you. It's beyond my comprehension. I hate working for other people, and have been self employed for most of my working life, - some 30 years now.

Weather. The summers don't get shorter, they have been getting worse. The weatherman a while back was asked why the weather was so crap, replied ' this isn't crap weather, it's average', which is pretty damn depressing.

This year you could sunbathe naked in February, march and April in Spain.

I loathe the climate here, I hate the feeling that like the Red Queen, you have to run faster and faster to stand still, and I dislike the way that everything is regimented and taxed to death. I cannot wait to leave.

UK lifestyle? The drunks and aggressive idiots vomiting in the streets? The fact that I can't sit outside and enjoy the garden like I can in Spain? The absence of cafe culture? The fact that people will hardly smile? That I know sod all of my neighbours to speak to? Imagine how I would miss all that!

As for intellectual stimulation, well, there's the language to learn. That requires a good input that will help keep your brain in trim. I'm starting to have a look at learning Arabic so that if we go to north Africa I can trade a word or two. Plus it's an interesting language. Then there's skills to learn. I'm learning to weld, and I'd like to build a curving metal staircase up to the roof so that working up there will be easier.

The list is almost endless. Birdwatching, fishing, nature studies, exploring the famous historical sites, dammit, even if I retire tomorrow, where will I find the time to do all that I want??
Sunbathe naked in February - my God what are you mad...... it is now the end of April and I AM FREEZING. Ok so it was quite nice in the week and I did get down to the beach but NAKED, and now it is bloody cold again with that westerly blowing. As for learning the language - been doing that for five years and I still am useless.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 4:09 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Sunbathe naked in February - my God what are you mad...... it is now the end of April and I AM FREEZING. Ok so it was quite nice in the week and I did get down to the beach but NAKED, and now it is bloody cold again with that westerly blowing. As for learning the language - been doing that for five years and I still am useless.
After winter, and especially after the usual sun starved summer we had, I was desperate for a bit of sun. It was out therefore so was I.

It takes a lot of work to learn even a simple language, and you can often feel that you will never get it. I spent a while learning German, and when I got disheartened, my tutor would jump back 6 lessons and make me do that one again. We would skate thru it without a problem, and then he would say 'A month ago you were struggling with that' , and it would suddenly fall into perspective.

Look how far you have come, not how far there is to go, because the journey to absolute fluency is very, very long indeed. All to many people can't even achieve it in their mother tongue.

I have to say that I am seriously impressed with Michel Thomas. In the past I have tried a number of tapes, CDs etc, and I have to say, with the sole exception of the ealing course (I did German, but they used to do Spanish), they were all crap, they spoke far too dialectly, with too heavy an accent, far too fast or all three at once.

I saw an arabic starter course of his in the remainder bin of a bookshop, and thought it might be interesting. It was, and damn well set out it is too. For anyone wanting to try to learn Spanish, no matter how bad you think you might be, I'll wager you'll find his Spanish course a winner.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 2:48 pm
fed up with england

helenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
Tell that to the twat that won`t let us have our winter heating allowance over here.
you can get your winter fuel allowence in spain my parents have for 5yrs .i would look into it helen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.