Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

still not changed my mind.

still not changed my mind.

Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:45 pm
fed up with england

helenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nice
Default still not changed my mind.

have just come back from my little house in thec mountains almeria. oh dear not evem seen the day out and do not want to be here in england .if any one has any money they need to get rid of i will take it of them (joke) in the next few years then i can be there full time. nothing ever changes my mind. does any one else feels the same. helen
Old Apr 24th 2009, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: still not changed my mind.

Originally Posted by helenba
have just come back from my little house in thec mountains almeria. oh dear not evem seen the day out and do not want to be here in england .if any one has any money they need to get rid of i will take it of them (joke) in the next few years then i can be there full time. nothing ever changes my mind. does any one else feels the same. helen
I commute, usually every other week ,love my job in the UK but love Spain even more but I doubt if I could stay there full time yet as I tried it for 5 months and got bored doing nothing 5 years ago ,besides I bought a bigger property than had first planned and have to pay for it somehow rest of my family in Spain full time (that is the worst bit) but after 5 years we are used to it now but I have no intention of staying in UK for ever .I just look at it as if I get loads of holidays every year and it doesn't seem so bad .First day back in the UK again is always depressing ,that hasn't changed in 5 years .
Old Apr 24th 2009, 5:10 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helenba
I'm with you 100% on this. Give me the chance, and I would be there permanently like a shot.

I doubt there is enough time in the day for me to get bored. There's the garden, and I keep meaning to go fishing, and I'd like to dig a second well and set up a wind powered pumping system for the veg and trees, then there's the solar water heat I want to build,........
Old Apr 24th 2009, 5:12 pm
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all

Just got back to Bahrain after Easter hols at home in Cadiar. Miss the place already. My sons can tell me, to the day, how long until we are back in July.

Just bought a lovely big house with garden so lots to do eventually. Looking forward to it.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I am the opposite. Been in Spain five years love it to bits BUT would love to go back to the UK to have a real job. Gardening etc do not do it for me Bil.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:58 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Wel, there's the language to learn, the country to explore, but in the end, either it cuts it for you or it doesn't.

There is no way I would stay in this country with its sh*t climate, no, I take that back, it's not a climate, it's a bl**dy joke designed to drive a sensible person into a terminal depressive decline.

I actually had one idiot tell me that the UK had the perfect climate. For what, fungus?

Nope, I would rather be bored in Spain than work in the UK, because I can assure you, I would not be bored for long.

I can understand tho, if a certain career path is what you desperately want, then the UK could be where it's at for you.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bil
Wel, there's the language to learn, the country to explore, but in the end, either it cuts it for you or it doesn't.

There is no way I would stay in this country with its sh*t climate, no, I take that back, it's not a climate, it's a bl**dy joke designed to drive a sensible person into a terminal depressive decline.

I actually had one idiot tell me that the UK had the perfect climate. For what, fungus?

Nope, I would rather be bored in Spain than work in the UK, because I can assure you, I would not be bored for long.

I can understand tho, if a certain career path is what you desperately want, then the UK could be where it's at for you.
Bil ,just wondered if u have ever spent the winter in Spain ,Houses unless u live in an Urb or similar (and have CH installed) are not conditioned for winter they are cold ,cost an arm and leg to heat, as u dont have flick of a switch gas C&H it takes ages to warm up with any other sort of heating .I spent a lot of time on CB this winter and I have not felt cold in UK like it ever and it has been similar for 5 years ,maybe because I live in the campo it is worse , they say you get a minimum of 320 days sunshine in Spain ,quite true but you get sunshine on Everest (dont mean it's warm) If u plan to live in spain permanently make sure u have a good heating system if u dont like the cold .
Old Apr 25th 2009, 7:04 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hondon Voyager
Bil ,just wondered if u have ever spent the winter in Spain ,Houses unless u live in an Urb or similar (and have CH installed) are not conditioned for winter they are cold ,cost an arm and leg to heat, as u dont have flick of a switch gas C&H it takes ages to warm up with any other sort of heating .I spent a lot of time on CB this winter and I have not felt cold in UK like it ever and it has been similar for 5 years ,maybe because I live in the campo it is worse , they say you get a minimum of 320 days sunshine in Spain ,quite true but you get sunshine on Everest (dont mean it's warm) If u plan to live in spain permanently make sure u have a good heating system if u dont like the cold .
Tell that to the twat that won`t let us have our winter heating allowance over here.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 7:59 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Tell that to the twat that won`t let us have our winter heating allowance over here.
So its you I heard on Radio 2 yesterday!
Old Apr 25th 2009, 9:57 am
bil
Banned

Not a whole one, no, but Jan has. This winter I was to and fro, and I can assure you, it was colder in the UK for me than Spain every time.

Trouble is, it always depends just which part of the UK you compare to which part of Spain. Apples and oranges, apples and oranges.

I have been assured that this was the worst winter in Spain for decades, at least where we are. The answer to all this is, be prepared. It's cheaper to wear thermal underwear and jumpers in the house than it is to boost the CHeat to where you can walk about in the house lightly dressed. Can you harvest any heat from outside during the day, and can you do anything to reduce heat loss at night? Will that cause an increase in humidity if you do, and what can you do about that?

These are basically engineering solutions, and can be quite fun to work out.

Same applies to keeping the house cooler in the summer.

Incidentally, re mould. We had a horrific attack of it this winter, and were assured that it will come back every year, and the only way to deal with it is to scrub the walls with bleach (witness the mountains of bleach for sale in the supermercados in Spring). Another said add fabric conditioner to the mix to kill the smell, all of which sounded frankly unhealthy.

So, I tried something simpler. Using a new soft broom, I took a pail of hot-ish water, probably about 60 C, that's high end of comfort warm if you stick your hand in and added a small amount of washing up liquid. Only enough to make a very small amount of foam. Then I wetted the broom, shook off most of the water and brushed a small section of the wall, no more than a square metre, poss less. I immediately dried it off thoroughly using a scummy old towel to remove all the mold spores held in the water film. If that left it clean, I'd move on, if not, I'd wash the brush and repeat. Replace the water as soon as it looks a bit coloured, or the foam from the washing up liquid won't form any more.

The broom enabled me to reach the ceiling etc easily, and even tho the water was cold by the time I chaned it, it still worked perfectly well.

This achieved ENORMOUS success, and left the walls almost spotless. It has to be said that this was a once off thing, and as such may not work well for everyone everywhere, and I have no further evidence to back it up. However, the first room I tried was our bedroom, which does have a humidity problem, and I did it back in February. Even tho the walls have been wetted a lot since then, the mould has not returned.

It may return next year, but since I am told that it returns each year anyway, that won't indicate failure. Anyone else tries this and
can improve on it, I'd be interested to hear.

Next year I plan to hit it as soon as it shows, and see if it returns. It may be that just as the washing up liquid mobilises and wets the dry mold spores, the very small amount left after the drying process inhibits regrowth, but that's a hypothesis only.

One other way to help insulate, is to go back to the old days when tapestries were hung on walls. These insulated the walls and would possibly help with such problems too.

We have a window and a metal door on the worst wall, which runs with water by the morning. Instead of a curtain for the window, I'm thinking of having full length curtains for the whole wall.

It's all engineering, and quite fun to try and work your way around things.

Last edited by bil; Apr 25th 2009 at 10:00 am.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdr
Must be climate change Bil as I have had 6 winters there now and two of them were the coldest on record apparently .Another thing it is advisable to avoid Easter in Spain I think 4 of my 6 have been a washout last one included
Old Apr 25th 2009, 10:44 am
bil
Banned

Well, I'd rather be in Spain in the rain than stuck here in the UK.

I'm amused when people bitch that the weather in Spain can be cold and wet.

At least in Spain you can guarantee that over the course of the year it will be far better than the UK, the sun will shine more often, for longer periods and more reliably than it ever is here.

When it's cold in Spain, we light the woodburner and bake potatoes in its oven,and our house is like a cozy little nest, - even if the bedroom can get a bit cold. Mind you I intend to do something to move some of that heat to the bedroom, but that will require a bit of thought.

You may be right about Easter, I seem to recall that June in the UK is all too often pretty miserable, and August can be too.

It certainly has been the last few years. That is supposedly due to a kink in the jetstream that has brought it further south. Whether or not that is down to the climate changing, I can't say.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 10:45 am
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Absolutely.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bil
Well, I'd rather be in Spain in the rain than stuck here in the UK.

I'm amused when people bitch that the weather in Spain can be cold and wet.

At least in Spain you can guarantee that over the course of the year it will be far better than the UK, the sun will shine more often, for longer periods and more reliably than it ever is here.

When it's cold in Spain, we light the woodburner and bake potatoes in its oven,and our house is like a cozy little nest, - even if the bedroom can get a bit cold. Mind you I intend to do something to move some of that heat to the bedroom, but that will require a bit of thought.

You may be right about Easter, I seem to recall that June in the UK is all too often pretty miserable, and August can be too.

It certainly has been the last few years. That is supposedly due to a kink in the jetstream that has brought it further south. Whether or not that is down to the climate changing, I can't say.
Don't get me wrong Bil I was mereley pointing out that it not hot and sunny 365 days year and can get quite chilly in winter, the UK has not a look in when it comes to good weather (we have probably just had our summer) I prefer Spain anyday regardless.PS I admire your 'every problem has a soloution' attitude .
Old Apr 25th 2009, 11:27 am
bil
Banned

Don't get me wrong Bil I was mereley pointing out that it not hot and sunny 365 days year and can get quite chilly in winter, the UK has not a look in when it comes to good weather (we have probably just had our summer) I prefer Spain anyday regardless.PS I admire your 'every problem has a soloution' attitude .
Thank you for the compliment. My favourite quote always is that you can cure any problem by throwing money(and time) at it. The trick is to throw the least money to the greatest effect.

Therein lies the skill.

I wasn't aiming those comments at you, they were aimed at the people who are stupid enough to believe that we are incapable of seeing Spain as anything less than perfect.

Of course it isn't perfect. The winters can be a bastard, the rain torrential, and I hate Spanish winters like poison. The diference is that I know that there will be a cracking summer to follow. In the UK the joke that 'we hope summer falls on a weekend' sadly isn't a joke, but an astute comment on how crap the UK climate really is.

After all, we know perfectly wel that the whole year can be crap, with just enough sunshine to remind us of what we are missing.

Like you, I would far rather be in Spain. If someone solved my problems so I could take early retirement, but the price was that I would never be able to return to the UK, I'd take it like a shot and consider myself doubly blessed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.