British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Stay in blighty or move to spain? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/stay-blighty-move-spain-374898/)

jonesa80 May 21st 2006 11:26 pm

Stay in blighty or move to spain?

Hi guys

Wanted some advice if I may from you guys. I am 24 currently long haul cabin crew based in London sadly because the way my rosta works it makes it hard for me to be based outside the uk even though I do longhaul. The money I am earning at the moment is very good.

My financee is 29 and has just returned to the uk. Shes slovakian and we met in majorca where she was working there for a few years. She just got a job as shorthual cabin crew but both of us are very unsettled in the UK, we hate it!!! Sadly we have not got enough money for a place in the sun in majorca yet.

Do I give up my job and follow my heart even though a job all year round is assured or do I follow my head and stay in dull, boring, rainy old blighty.

all suggesstion are welcome

andy

bfg69bug May 22nd 2006 6:57 am

Re: Stay in blighty or move to spain?

instead of mallorca - why not look at spain ?

easyjet dont yet have a base here, but i *think* monarch do ? theres plenty of easyjet ground crew, obviously all the spanish airlines as well - iberia etc...

check it out, theres a website for malaga airport, and if you arn´t already, i´d suggest joining the www.cabincrew.com website - they have good forums there, should you wish to continue in ur chosen career paths.

patsywhitehair May 22nd 2006 7:04 am

Originally Posted by jonesa80
Hi guys

Wanted some advice if I may from you guys. I am 24 currently long haul cabin crew based in London sadly because the way my rosta works it makes it hard for me to be based outside the uk even though I do longhaul. The money I am earning at the moment is very good.

My financee is 29 and has just returned to the uk. Shes slovakian and we met in majorca where she was working there for a few years. She just got a job as shorthual cabin crew but both of us are very unsettled in the UK, we hate it!!! Sadly we have not got enough money for a place in the sun in majorca yet.

Do I give up my job and follow my heart even though a job all year round is assured or do I follow my head and stay in dull, boring, rainy old blighty.

andy

yep, agree London can be dull, rainy old blighty but......

when you say you want a place in the sun do you mean to live? if so, do you speak Spanish, what sort of job would you be looking to do.
Remember the grass is always greener.....
maybe you could look for a reps job in Majorca, is that the type of thing you'd like?

Mitzyboy May 22nd 2006 9:05 am

Well making the move is not always as easy as it seems. Trying to find a job on foreign soil will probably be more difficult than at home especially if you don't speak Spanish. Finding somewhere to live also. But as Patsy said, how about holiday reps?

BUT, at 24 you are young enough to try these things and still bounce back if it doesn't work out. Imagine how you'd feel if you got to mid life and started thinking "I wish I'd done that"

I'll probably misquote but "it is better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all"

I'd say get some money behind you and then go for it! As you get older and responsibilities build you won't feel so able to as theres more to lose.

jdr May 22nd 2006 11:54 am

Stay in England if you have a good job and take more holidays ;)

Legal contracted full time employment is really hard to find in Spain.
Most of the jobs that are about for young people are crap, timeshare, telesales, rip off`s etc.

bfg69bug May 22nd 2006 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
Stay in England if you have a good job and take more holidays ;)

Legal contracted full time employment is really hard to find in Spain.
Most of the jobs that are about for young people are crap, timeshare, telesales, rip off`s etc.

true bruv ;)

keithwalters May 22nd 2006 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
true bruv ;)

ALTHOUGH, I know of a girl who lives near us who is in telesales, and whilst it's not the sort of job I think I would go for myself, she regularly hauls in 12,000 - 15,000 euros PER MONTH!! She's bl**** good at it though - could sell sand to the arabs.

jonesa80 May 22nd 2006 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
yep, agree London can be dull, rainy old blighty but......

when you say you want a place in the sun do you mean to live? if so, do you speak Spanish, what sort of job would you be looking to do.
Remember the grass is always greener.....
maybe you could look for a reps job in Majorca, is that the type of thing you'd like?

Thank you all very much for your mail and adice guys.

Sadly I dont speak spanish and have already been a holiday rep 3years ago not a fantastic job i must say.

But Majorca is a place we have fallen in love with. Applied for a job selling suncream in hotels majorca in the summer, lanzarote in the winter with the chance of moving into management. Theres got to be more to life than just england. So confused.

Is it better to be wealthy or happy?

Mercedes May 22nd 2006 11:10 pm

Sadly I dont speak spanish and have already been a holiday rep 3years ago not a fantastic job i must say.

But Majorca is a place we have fallen in love with. Applied for a job selling suncream in hotels majorca in the summer, lanzarote in the winter with the chance of moving into management. Theres got to be more to life than just england. So confused.

Give it ago, you can always go back if it doesn't work out. I live in Spain and commute for my job, it may be something to think about. There are some companies you can work for, that you can work from home. So providing you have access to a computer, internet ect, it may work. Anyway as someone said you're young, and have an adventure whilst you can, before you get tied down with a family, mortgages etc.....Life is for living and taking risks and you have no one to depend on but yourself and of course your girlfriend. Go for it and be happy.

Mitzyboy May 22nd 2006 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Give it ago, you can always go back if it doesn't work out. I live in Spain and commute for my job, it may be something to think about. There are some companies you can work for, that you can work from home. So providing you have access to a computer, internet ect, it may work. Anyway as someone said you're young, and have an adventure whilst you can, before you get tied down with a family, mortgages etc.....Life is for living and taking risks and you have no one to depend on but yourself and of course your girlfriend. Go for it and be happy.

Well said ...... you only get one go at it :)

Choombo Jun 4th 2006 2:28 pm

Hi guys

Wanted some advice if I may from you guys. I am 24 currently long haul cabin crew based in London sadly because the way my rosta works it makes it hard for me to be based outside the uk even though I do longhaul.

A heterosexual male cabin crew member!?! :) :scared:

Unexpat Jun 4th 2006 6:14 pm

Happy. No question, but don't neglect wealth if you can. You're young - go for it. Time enough to be responsible when you're 30+ ;)

TruBrit Jun 4th 2006 6:23 pm

Hi guys

andy

hiya i'm ex LHR ba cabin crew long and shorthaul....stay where you are it's good money plus great job and stash the cash while you can.... :)

TheArmChairDetective Jun 4th 2006 6:48 pm

[QUOTE=Mercedes]Give it ago, you can always go back if it doesn't work out. I live in Spain and commute for my job, QUOTE]

Please tell me more, It sounds very exotic :)

Mrs eddie Jun 8th 2006 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Mercedes

Brill advice ...... :)

We've just upped sticks and moved to Spain, we have two young kids..both under 4....had to sell up and follow our dream for a better life while we are young enough.....well 31...eek - not as young as you tho mate - so gori but try and sort a job out before.....

Lifes to short to be unhappy - but you need money to get by wherever you are so just don't rush in....

You sound switched on anyway .....best of luck to you ;) :) :)

xx

jonesa80 Jun 27th 2006 9:20 am

[QUOTE=Mrs eddie]Brill advice ...... :)

We've just upped sticks and moved to Spain, we have two young kids..both under 4....had to sell up and follow our dream for a better life while we are young enough.....well 31...eek - not as young as you tho mate - so gori but try and sort a job out before.....

Lifes to short to be unhappy - but you need money to get by wherever you are so just don't rush in....

You sound switched on anyway .....best of luck to you ;) :) :)

Thank you for everyone responses.

We are both flying for an airline me longhaul and her shorthaul and we both hate it. Think we will bite the bullet and take a risk move without having work hoping we can survive the winter in majorca. There must be some work there of some description. We have £20k behind us so enough for rent, food, etc.

thanks for the encouragement.

andy

TheArmChairDetective Jun 27th 2006 9:26 am

[QUOTE=jonesa80]

Originally Posted by Mrs eddie
Brill advice ...... :)

andy

Good luck to you both Andy.

tim hortons man Jun 27th 2006 9:47 am

Brill advice ......

So what do you for a living, unfortunately sun shine and nice weather doesn't put the food on the table :)

Regardless of what you decide I would keep your finances solid, avoid consumer debt credit cards etc. There is nothing worse than having an opportunity to follow you dream and then not be able to do because you don't think you can do it.

In my informal poll most people that live in Spain full time are either retirees (or close to it) or been relocated for employment. Very few people are successful at the "no going back" deal.

It is a tough question, do you trade a good job and a secure future for good weather and an uncertian future. Its a tough question.

Do you mind being a low wage bar waiter?

Having said all that we picked up stakes 7 years ago to take an uncertain future in Germany, and now are moving to Madrid this fall. In spite of a lot of financial stress over the years we've never looked back.

Lionda Jun 27th 2006 2:21 pm

Go for it...you are young...enjoy your life! We are moving to Spain from England later this year and wish we had done it years ago...but sadly we were not in a position financially to do this years ago. We are now in our early 50's our children have left home and we are looking forward to starting a new life in the sun.

Linda

paulnsoo Aug 1st 2006 8:44 pm

i am now 50 (almost)
and we are moving to Spain in 6 weeks.
my advice, you are actually a little young (in years anyway)
to be thinking about the wealth versus happiness question

but since you are there is no doubt Happiness everytime.

my brother is 57 and still chasing wealth he'll never get to enjoy.

Off you go and sell suncream matey!!!!!!!!

buenos suerte
bonne chance
etc etc etc

paul

TruBrit Aug 1st 2006 9:07 pm

[QUOTE=jonesa80]

Thank you for everyone responses.

There must be some work there of some description. We have £20k behind us so enough for rent, food, etc.

thanks for the encouragement.

andy

they say two people can't live off love alone but if you die trying oh what a way to go......seriously, try and secure reasonable jobs to bring in a descent income before quitting imo makes good common sense