Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Static IP Address in Spain

Static IP Address in Spain

Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

BriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant future
Default Static IP Address in Spain

Happy New Year All!
Anyone know the cost of or have a Static IP Address with Telefonica?
What's it going to cost me on top of my standard monthly charges?
Regards
Keith

Off topic.. we are all fine here, I'm sure Sam will be on here again soon. She's back from the UK tonight
Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:52 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Static IP Address in Spain

A static IP address is an additional €13 + iva/month.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

BriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant future

Ah Mr Reliable!
I did consider sending you a PM asking.
But then it wouldn't have been on the forum for all to read.
Thank you Fred.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BriscasBetterHalf
Happy New Year All!
Anyone know the cost of or have a Static IP Address with Telefonica?
What's it going to cost me on top of my standard monthly charges?
Regards
Keith
An alternative may be to sign up for a dynamic DNS service such as dyndns,org. In a nutshell something inside of your network will periodically register a DNS record for your current IP address. If the address changes the DNS record is changed. You can then always access your network or device by a fixed dns name.

The something that is required is either a small application which runs on an internal pc, or many routers have support for dynamic DNS services built in you just need to configure it with account details.

Under normal circumstances it works a treat and the basic service is free. I have used this for years to get access to the Netgear ADSL router in our villa (now ex-villa) in Florida which has a changing IP address from Verizon
Old Jan 1st 2009, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

So let me see if I have this right Bob.
You register with a company like dyndns,org and they issue you with a static IP address.
Then once you have configured your router properly (which might be another story) the link between your dynamic IP in Spain and the static IP at dyndns,org is updated from time to time automatically by my router. It needs to be via the router because there wont be a PC on the end the line all the time.
So in effect you have a static IP which then I type in and get my router log in page!

Also there's a PM on the way!
Old Jan 1st 2009, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BriscasBetterHalf
So let me see if I have this right Bob.
You register with a company like dyndns,org and they issue you with a static IP address.
Then once you have configured your router properly (which might be another story) the link between your dynamic IP in Spain and the static IP at dyndns,org is updated from time to time automatically by my router. It needs to be via the router because there wont be a PC on the end the line all the time.
So in effect you have a static IP which then I type in and get my router log in page!

Also there's a PM on the way!
Not quite, they simply create a DNS name that corresponds to your current telefonica IP address

You create an account with DYNDNS and select a DNS name and the domain in which you wish it to be registered. You then configure your router with your username and password for your DYNDNS account. The router, via DYNDNS will then register the current IP address allocated by your ISP with your chosen DNS name on the DYNDNS servers.

This registration is periodic so if your ISP changes your IP address your DNS record is updated with this new address.

For example. We have Verizon ADSL in the US villa. The external IP address changes periodically and DYNDNS updates the name floridays.dyndns.org each time it does. So I can always connect to my router using this name irrespective of the IP address my connection currently has assigned. BTW you won't be able to connect to floridays.dyndns.org as I have an ACL which only allows connection from my UK external address IP range.

They have a large number of domains that you can choose from and the hostname is your choice completely as long as the combination doesn't clash with existing names.

There are a couple of other similar services available but DYNDNS is free and has worked for my simple requirements so I didn't investigate the alternatives.

Last edited by bob_day; Jan 1st 2009 at 12:16 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! I don't understand this thread in English. Heaven only knows what will happen when I try in Spanish!!
Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

I was given a static IP address by Telefónica when I signed up for my ADSL. I don't pay any extra for it.

I wasn't concerned at the time whether it was static or dynamic but I'm glad now that it is static because it is required to enable my CCTV system to be monitored at my alarm company's central station.