Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

State primary schools west of Malaga with English Spanish mix of students

State primary schools west of Malaga with English Spanish mix of students

Old Aug 4th 2009, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

peter_p is an unknown quantity at this point
Default State primary schools west of Malaga with English Spanish mix of students

Hi,
I start permanent work based in Malaga soon, (arriving 19/08), & am bringing my wife & daughter who turned 5 at the end of June. I'm told she qualifies for a place at state primary school.
Due to my having to commute, we are primarily interested in the Benalmadena region, as far as Torremolinos or maybe a little further to the west.
I am looking for a school where there is a reasonable proportion of English kids, as she speaks very little Spanish and I want her transition to be as smooth as possible.
I know there can be problems with not being resident since the previous March, but I'm told there's often a way round that.
Does anyone have any info?
Peter
Old Aug 4th 2009, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of
Default Re: State primary schools west of Malaga with English Spanish mix of students

Originally Posted by peter_p
Hi,
I start permanent work based in Malaga soon, (arriving 19/08), & am bringing my wife & daughter who turned 5 at the end of June. I'm told she qualifies for a place at state primary school.
Due to my having to commute, we are primarily interested in the Benalmadena region, as far as Torremolinos or maybe a little further to the west.
I am looking for a school where there is a reasonable proportion of English kids, as she speaks very little Spanish and I want her transition to be as smooth as possible.
I know there can be problems with not being resident since the previous March, but I'm told there's often a way round that.
Peter
Hi

Sorry i can not help. However i would like to wish you and your family well in the move.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 5:38 pm
Banned

steph4penny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: State primary schools west of Malaga with English Spanish mix of students

Hi,
Peter
Hello Peter I'm pretty much going to have the same problem with my kids have you heard of a way around it yet???
Old Aug 4th 2009, 5:44 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the area personally, but as there is a brit expat community there I'm pretty sure there will be English kids in most state schools in the area
Old Aug 4th 2009, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by steph4penny
Hello Peter I'm pretty much going to have the same problem with my kids have you heard of a way around it yet???
keep watching the thread.
i'll let you know what i find out.
peter
Old Aug 4th 2009, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

The date to register has passed, you have to request three possible schools, then go on a specified date and see if your name is posted on 1st choice, then have to accept the place on another allocated date, after that others can apply for a place.

Have left it a little late as term starts mid September, good luck anyway.

Last edited by mrsjdr; Aug 4th 2009 at 6:44 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 6:30 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Peter
keep watching the thread.
i'll let you know what i find out.
peter
children of school age are entitled to a place in state school - it doesn't matter when you arrive

bear in mind though that 'school age' means age 6 in most areas, although there are more often than not 'infantil' schools attached to the main school where kids start at 2.5 years

your daughter should be able to go into school - but possibly not your school of first choice, if there are no places available

but then, even applying in March is no guarantee that you will get a place in your school of choice

just do the paperwork when you get here & apply & see what happens
Old Aug 5th 2009, 7:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mrsjdr
The date to register has passed, you have to request three possible schools, then go on a specified date and see if your name is posted on 1st choice, then have to accept the place on another allocated date, after that others can apply for a place.

Have left it a little late as term starts mid September, good luck anyway.
Thanks for your advice mrsjdr,
We have left it horribly late as you observe - we'd made extensive plans to settle in Cartama, but that's recently become impractical.
I see your location is Benalmadena Pueblo. We'll be staying there while looking around and we like it there, having been before.
I'm fairly fluent and have lived in Malaga before, but my wife is less so. We found the balance ideal as it's Spanish enough for me and close enough to a more English atmosphere for her.
Are there any local schools you could recommend we contact?
Thanks again for your advice.
Kind regards, Peter
Old Aug 5th 2009, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynnxa
children of school age are entitled to a place in state school - it doesn't matter when you arrive

bear in mind though that 'school age' means age 6 in most areas, although there are more often than not 'infantil' schools attached to the main school where kids start at 2.5 years

your daughter should be able to go into school - but possibly not your school of first choice, if there are no places available

but then, even applying in March is no guarantee that you will get a place in your school of choice

just do the paperwork when you get here & apply & see what happens
Thanks lynnxa,
I had been under the impression, as you advised, that a child needed to be six. It's just that in a recent reply from a school I'd contacted, they said she'd qualify for a place. Her d.o.b. is 28/06/04.
I'll be getting straight on with this & NIE etc as you suggest. It's reassuring that you feel she'll get a place ok.
Thanks again, Peter
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:22 am
¿Dónde estoy?

We have left it horribly late as you observe - we'd made extensive plans to settle in Cartama, but that's recently become impractical.
I see your location is Benalmadena Pueblo. We'll be staying there while looking around and we like it there, having been before.
I'm fairly fluent and have lived in Malaga before, but my wife is less so. We found the balance ideal as it's Spanish enough for me and close enough to a more English atmosphere for her.
Kind regards, Peter
Thanks lynnxa,
I had been under the impression, as you advised, that a child needed to be six. It's just that in a recent reply from a school I'd contacted, they said she'd qualify for a place. Her d.o.b. is 28/06/04.
I'll be getting straight on with this & NIE etc as you suggest. It's reassuring that you feel she'll get a place ok.
Thanks again, Peter
really nothing to worry about

we'd been here a year when we decided to move our 2 from International to state school - the kids actually asked during the xmas hols!

we went to the Ayuntamiento & asked for them to be put into a school - actually got the one we wanted!

we left with a list of stuff we needed - got it all together & went to the school on the first day of term

they started that day
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
really nothing to worry about

we'd been here a year when we decided to move our 2 from International to state school - the kids actually asked during the xmas hols!

we went to the Ayuntamiento & asked for them to be put into a school - actually got the one we wanted!

we left with a list of stuff we needed - got it all together & went to the school on the first day of term

they started that day
Its good to hear that. I think sometimes when you try and sort something the UK end things can blow themselves out of proportion. We hear so many conflicting stories and end up only confused more.

We have just over 3 weeks to go now. Packing packing and more packing, admin and more admin - just cant wait to get there and sort it all for real.

Cant wait to relax again - and all those goodbyes - bring on the sangria muy fuerte.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Kind regards, Peter
Will post later with details of school as name I cannot remember but our Grandaughter starting there in September
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mrsjdr
Will post later with details of school as name I cannot remember but our Grandaughter starting there in September
Hi,
Been in the Lake District for the last two days - cloudless, mid 20 degrees. So lucky to catch such a fine spell.
Installed Skype on my mother's PC so she can video chat with the little one.
Already done it for cousins & other grandparents.
Ten days to go & so much to do.
I look forward to your posting with the school.
Thanks for all the advice; so valuable.
Regards, Peter
Old Aug 7th 2009, 12:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Been in the Lake District for the last two days - cloudless, mid 20 degrees. So lucky to catch such a fine spell.
Installed Skype on my mother's PC so she can video chat with the little one.
Already done it for cousins & other grandparents.
Ten days to go & so much to do.
I look forward to your posting with the school.
Thanks for all the advice; so valuable.
Regards, Peter
Just seen the post, she is having her hair done. ;-))

Have a look on this link for the time being
Old Aug 8th 2009, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by steph4penny
Hi Steph,
Hope you're finding arranging the move easier than I am. I keep finding new things which need attention.
The schools thing seems ok. I've been onto the Spanish Regional Education authority website.
http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/temas...-infantil.html
There are lists of schools with contact details & other info.
If it's not Andalucia you're heading to, try a google search with "junta de ___ educacion infantil".
Muy buena suerte, Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.