Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

state pension coming up

state pension coming up

Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:33 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: state pension coming up

Originally Posted by elbistro
I am retiring in July and will be going back to the UK in September,I have a pension forecast of 25 years from the UK and have 12 years paid in Spain.I phoned the Pension service in the UK and was told that you don't add the two together now (since April 2009) and that i would get 25/30 of the full UK pension and would have to apply for the Spanish one separately, i know that the minimum pension period in Spain is 15 years, will they take some of the UK pension to make it up?, also i was told by the pension service that i should have applied for my UK pension through the Spanish social security i.e Country of residence, but as i was going back soon, to leave it.I have not yet claimed for my Spanish pension , should i wait to return to the UK and do it then or apply now while still in Spain. I dont want the UK stopping my pension while they sort it all out.If anyone can help it would be appreciated
As far as I know you have to apply in the last country you worked, delaying it may cause problems later.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

You have to apply in the (e.u.) country where you last paid contributions. My wife is in the throes of applying for her U.K. pension through the spanish system at the moment . The only problem so far (apart from the usual wanting to know your grannies maiden name etc) is that they won't accept a U.K. bank on the form so we have had to let it go with our spanish bank details hopefully to be changed later at the U.K end.

A colleague of my wife's, in a similar situation, also applied in Spain and the DWP kept saying they hadn't received the paperwork from Spain. After 6 weeks of to'ing and fro'ing the office in Benidorm helpfully refused to send another copy to the DWP and she ended up completing the formalities direct to the DWP in the U.K. over the phone! What a farce -you couldn't make it up....! We are hoping my wife's application goes more smoothly.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 6:02 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of ours who is entitled to Pensions from both Spain and Germany applied for his in Spain, eventually after six months the German one paid out, the Spanish one STILL hasn't paid out after seven months.

Glad I just had to apply to the UK! Applied over the phone, (I was in the UK at the time) only took about ten minutes, they told me how much it would be, asked me if I wanted it weekly or monthly and told me when the first payment would be.

No problems whatsoever and the pension was in the bank on the day they said.

Last edited by scampicat; Apr 9th 2010 at 6:04 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scampicat
Glad I just had to apply to the UK! Applied over the phone, (I was in the UK at the time) only took about ten minutes, they told me how much it would be, asked me if I wanted it weekly or monthly and told me when the first payment would be.

No problems whatsoever and the pension was in the bank on the day they said.
Do you mean you can apply for the UK pension while you were in UK but you're still a Spanish resident?

So I should apply mine while I'm in UK before immigrating to Spain.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 5:24 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
Do you mean you can apply for the UK pension while you were in UK but you're still a Spanish resident?

If your last employment was in the UK you have to apply to the UK. You apply for it wherever your last employment was, no matter where you may live..

Last edited by scampicat; Apr 10th 2010 at 5:39 am.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 5:36 am
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by petew
You have to apply in the (e.u.) country where you last paid contributions. My wife is in the throes of applying for her U.K. pension through the spanish system at the moment . The only problem so far (apart from the usual wanting to know your grannies maiden name etc) is that they won't accept a U.K. bank on the form so we have had to let it go with our spanish bank details hopefully to be changed later at the U.K end.

A colleague of my wife's, in a similar situation, also applied in Spain and the DWP kept saying they hadn't received the paperwork from Spain. After 6 weeks of to'ing and fro'ing the office in Benidorm helpfully refused to send another copy to the DWP and she ended up completing the formalities direct to the DWP in the U.K. over the phone! What a farce -you couldn't make it up....! We are hoping my wife's application goes more smoothly.
They really go out of their way to make sure you get your pension then.

I'm so glad I had to apply for mine directly from the UK.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: state pension coming up

Did that last September by phone for mine worked a treat. This week I have changed the bank that receives the pension from UK to Spain. The hang up is you have to go from weekly paid to monthly paid which means I lend the Government my money for three weeks since they pay 3 weeks in arrears and one in advance. But on the plus side there are no charges and the exchange will be as near interbank as you can get.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

If you intend to work in Spain and pay into the Spanish system, then apply for your U.K. pension before you start employment in Spain. If you do not intend to work in Spain then it doesn't make much difference except I think it's a bit easier applying before you leave the U.K.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

My last employment is in Canada & I won't be working when I move to Spain.

I understand I can apply for the UK pension as I'd contributed over 17 yrs to the
UK system. So where should I apply, in UK or Spain? I'm moving to UK in 2 wks time before I finally move to Spain in July.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 5:57 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

My last employment is in Canada & I won't be working when I move to Spain.

I understand I can apply for the UK pension as I'd contributed over 17 yrs to the
UK system. So where should I apply, in UK or Spain? I'm moving to UK in 2 wks time before I finally move to Spain in July.
Either, don`t think it will make a difference, but maybe easier from your Spanish address so you can pick up the mail.