Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Starting up a market stall

Starting up a market stall

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

cartaya will become famous soon enough
Default Starting up a market stall

Hi there I was wondering if anyone knows the procedure for starting your own market stall in spain. Im in Andalucia near Huelva and have seen a few markets around and Im interested in starting my own stall. If anyone can help i would be very gratefull,
Many thanks
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 7:29 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting up a market stall

The local Ayuntamiento?
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

arko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cartaya
Hi there I was wondering if anyone knows the procedure for starting your own market stall in spain. Im in Andalucia near Huelva and have seen a few markets around and Im interested in starting my own stall. If anyone can help i would be very gratefull,
Many thanks
To set up a stall in the market in Aljaraque (I think it applies to anywhere though), which isn't far from you, you have to go through the town hall, just as rugbymatt says, and ask for a 'Solicitud de permiso para venta en el Rastro' (permit to sell in the market)- it might have another name, someone else can let you know. The markets are different to the 'bootfair'-type markets you also find on other coasts and there are certain things you can't sell. I'm always finding a niche in the markets here in Huelva, only to be told by friends that you can't sell the product!!

If noone on here can give you any more information, I'd just walk into Cartaya townhall and ask:

http://www.ayto-cartaya.es/01_es/01_inicio.php

If it's of any interest, Aljaraque market is on a Wednesday. Good luck and sorry I couldn't be of any more help.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

so wot u thinking of sellin?
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 6:36 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

So many doing it here, pitches are on rotation, maybe ok where you are though.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 9:01 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cartaya
Many thanks
Here on the Costa Blanca, non Spanish people have great difficulty in getting stalls
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

encodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Here on the Costa Blanca, non Spanish people have great difficulty in getting stalls
Now why doesn't that suprise me......
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

perthukcharlie will become famous soon enough

HI THERE

MY NAMES CHARLIE,IM FROM THE UK AND NOW LIVE IN PERTH AUSSIE LAND I HAVE WORKED MARKETS ALL MY LIFE AND HAVE ALLWAYS WANTED TO LIVE SOMEWHERE HOT.IM NOW LIVING IN AUSSIE LAND AND MISS BEEN BACK IN EUROPE AND HAVE ALLWAYS WANTED TO WORK THE MARKETS IN SPAIN.I SELL LOTS OF THINGS I IMPORT FROM THE UK TO PERTH AND SELL ON THE MARKETS HERE.I HAVE SOME VERY GOOD CHEAP LINES WHICH I DO VERY WELL OUT OF.I DO HAVE A SPAINSH GF WHOS KEEN ON DOING THIS WITH ME.

SO IS THERE MARKETS WHICH ARE THE SAME AS THE UK.AND IS IT EASY TO SET UP AND WORK THEM. IM OVER IN SPAIN IN 4 WEEKS AND THINKING ABOUT WORKING THERE THIS YEAR.

IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME CAN YOU PM ME OR EMAIL ME ON PERTHCHARLIE @ HOTMAIL.COM

THANKS,

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Last edited by jdr; Jan 3rd 2009 at 12:46 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 12:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthukcharlie
HI THERE

MY NAMES CHARLIE,IM FROM THE UK AND NOW LIVE IN PERTH AUSSIE LAND I HAVE WORKED MARKETS ALL MY LIFE AND HAVE ALLWAYS WANTED TO LIVE SOMEWHERE HOT.IM NOW LIVING IN AUSSIE LAND AND MISS BEEN BACK IN EUROPE AND HAVE ALLWAYS WANTED TO WORK THE MARKETS IN SPAIN.I SELL LOTS OF THINGS I IMPORT FROM THE UK TO PERTH AND SELL ON THE MARKETS HERE.I HAVE SOME VERY GOOD CHEAP LINES WHICH I DO VERY WELL OUT OF.I DO HAVE A SPAINSH GF WHOS KEEN ON DOING THIS WITH ME.

SO IS THERE MARKETS WHICH ARE THE SAME AS THE UK.AND IS IT EASY TO SET UP AND WORK THEM. IM OVER IN SPAIN IN 4 WEEKS AND THINKING ABOUT WORKING THERE THIS YEAR.

THANKS,

HAPPY NEW YEAR
I have edited your email so you don`t get spammed.

Turn off your caps lock as it is considered shouting.

Did you not read the previous posts on how difficult it is do get the licence and the pitch ?
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

perthukcharlie will become famous soon enough

Hi there sorry about that.

Yes I did have a read,but it sounds like its hard if your not from spain amd everythink is hard to start of anyway.The market I used to work in birmingham uk was hard It would cost you 50.000 pounds to even get a good stall there..I sold mine and moved to perth so,Im very keen to move to spain and work the markets there and travel.when you work the markets here its to far to drive from perth over to sydney as it would take you 5 days.

charlie
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 1:18 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Hi there sorry about that.

Yes I did have a read,but it sounds like its hard if your not from spain amd everythink is hard to start of anyway.The market I used to work in birmingham uk was hard It would cost you 50.000 pounds to even get a good stall there..I sold mine and moved to perth so,Im very keen to move to spain and work the markets there and travel.when you work the markets here its to far to drive from perth over to sydney as it would take you 5 days.

charlie
There are lots here, but they tend to like locals on a longish contract, so they know they will have the money even in the bad weather.
Some near me, have too many and they use a rota system.
You would have to go some to match their prices too, unless you have a wonder product that no one else has.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

arko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to all

HI THERE

THANKS,

HAPPY NEW YEAR
It really depends on what you want to sell and the type of market. Since reading the original request for info I've asked a Spanish friend who used to have a stall in the local market. Granted, things have changed alot since he had a stall but one things for sure; to sell in a normal market you need to have a license. To get the license you need to have a national insurance number to be able to get the pemit: 'permiso de vendedor ambulante' making you self-employed. After that you have to then apply to the town hall for a permit to sell in the actual market you want to. I've found a website that may be of use. You say your gf is Spanish, so she'll be able to translate for you if your Spanish is a bit rusty. I'm sure there is other info, but as I'm not sure where you want to settle, it's no point in giving you all the websites of all the regions.

http://www.consumer.es/web/es/econom...751.php?page=2

This just gives you some pointers. Tell your gf to have a browse of the Andalucia gov website:

www.juntadeandalucia.es

This will have info for anyone wishing to get their permits, etc.

The information I've given you is second hand and like anyone, the Spanish love to give their opinion and say what they believe are the rules, so your best bet is to go into the townhall where you'll be visiting and get the relevant information from someone that actually knows.

My friend did say it wouldn't be easy though. Spain is suffering at the moment economically and many people are looking at other ways of earning a living now they are being laid off. In my town, I know that many people are looking at setting up a stall, and as the market is run by a type of cooperative (that pays very little rent, I must add) it can be very clique and the stalls are jealously guarded.

Now, the 'bootfair' type markets are run differently. My mum used to have a stall and used to do the markets along the Costa del Sol to get a bit of pocket money. I'm not sure if it's changed, but in one of the markets, it was a matter of turning up in the early hours and waiting for the market 'manager' to come along and take her 'rent' for that day. In another, you had to pay monthly and of course, if the market was abandoned because of bad weather, you still had to pay, even though you didn't earn anything. These types of markets are more popular where there are English and I don't know of any such market here in Huelva.