Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

starting to search for a holiday home in spain near alicante or murcia airports help

starting to search for a holiday home in spain near alicante or murcia airports help

Old Mar 13th 2016, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

cpcaronSophie25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default starting to search for a holiday home in spain near alicante or murcia airports help

Hi
we have a limited budget and are looking for a place near alicante or murcia to use as a holiday home initialy but to use for retirement in about 10 years .
just starting our search and would like help .
We would like some where not to busy and near to public transport and not to far for travelling
Any advice
Caron and Mike
Old Mar 13th 2016, 9:58 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: starting to search for a holiday home in spain near alicante or murcia airports h

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 13th 2016, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

PS51 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: starting to search for a holiday home in spain near alicante or murcia airports h

Same here. I shall watch this thread with interest. We have the added problem that we are not beach people but we have to be near a decent Tennis club. Good luck
Old Mar 14th 2016, 6:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PS51
Same here. I shall watch this thread with interest. We have the added problem that we are not beach people but we have to be near a decent Tennis club. Good luck
Are you from uk too ? I have had an interesting article i had off internet Spain buying guide .
we also have no idea of where to start looking hoping to visit this year for weekend to start looking .
we would want links to local bus ,within walking of some shops restraunts ,not to far from beach ,my husband likex occasional game golf .
Old Mar 14th 2016, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any reason you are particularly picking that area? It may be that other areas would also fulfill your requirements giving you more choice and possibly lower property prices.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Hi Caron. When I priced places in other areas . . . Mijas/ Mojacar/Denia they all seemed to be more than my budget. For my £75 K sterling , I can get 3 bed in Los Balcones/Los Altos/Playa Flamenca . When I look at Mijas or above Mojacar I'd be lucky to get 2 Bed. I know people can be a bit sniffy about Torrevieja Urbanisations but when you have Kids and Grandchildren to entertain some of these places fit the bill. We are from Preston , Lancashire Caron.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Is there any reason you are particularly picking that area? It may be that other areas would also fulfill your requirements giving you more choice and possibly lower property prices.
I am open to all suggestions and advice
thank you
Old Mar 14th 2016, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Hi Caron. When I priced places in other areas . . . Mijas/ Mojacar/Denia they all seemed to be more than my budget. For my £75 K sterling , I can get 3 bed in Los Balcones/Los Altos/Playa Flamenca . When I look at Mijas or above Mojacar I'd be lucky to get 2 Bed. I know people can be a bit sniffy about Torrevieja Urbanisations but when you have Kids and Grandchildren to entertain some of these places fit the bill. We are from Preston , Lancashire Caron.
We have grand kids too and a limited bùdget , still in work so needs to be safe to leave between holidays too for now
I
Old Mar 14th 2016, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Which areas do you mean. . . Giving more Choice and lower prices ? Like Caron , I'm open to suggestions
Old Mar 15th 2016, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Which areas do you mean. . . Giving more Choice and lower prices ? Like Caron , I'm open to suggestions
What I meant was members who did not have knowledge of that area would not post. If you are open to other areas then it increases the number of members that may post and give you advice.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

I love these questions. People with a few bob and probably don't know how to spend it and guess what? "Sure 'tis the time to buy a holiday home in Spain."

It's the stuff estate agents thrive on and keeps them grinning like Dracula coming across an 18 year old virgin at one minute past midnight.

"We were on holidays in such-and-such-a-place and we loved it, so let's buy a holiday home there." The Draculas look on, no crucifix, no garlic, just pure innocent slender white skinned neck waiting for a fanged bite. The estate agents roadshow rolls on and not only just after midnight.

Now guys, this is where you stop, take stock, use what brains you have and think and then think again. "But, Lep, Spain is teeming with bargains!" - True, but a bargain is a bargain only when you need it. ("Sound advice there from Lep, but will they listen?" - They haven't listened before, so why do you think they'll listen now?").

Spain is the dream for those who know the financial terrain. That terrain is not in great shape at the moment and no sign of a decent improvement beckons. "Hey Lep, why are you stopping us from spending our dosh so?"

Spain has little interest in participating in a financial recovery. Greece has been bailed out and the Spaniards are just a step up from the Greeks. Somebody will probably pout Ireland's financial recovery; but we in this part of Europe think differently to those in the Mediterranean Basin.

I'm procrastinating, so I'll stop.(Estate Agents breathing a sigh of relief?). You can rent a good quality holiday apartment in a good resort in the off season for around €650 per month. You can change destination every winter. You are not suffering a huge dent in your savings. You can decide even going somewhere else too. Why tie yourself down?

Some of your answers before you even think:- "We will have time for our grandchildren." "It's a great investment." "We can spend more time together." Now insert what you are thinking.

You'll buy anyway. This has always been the case.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leper
Now guys, this is where you stop, take stock, use what brains you have and think and then think again. "But, Lep, Spain is teeming with bargains!" - True, but a bargain is a bargain only when you need it. ("Sound advice there from Lep, but will they listen?" - They haven't listened before, so why do you think they'll listen now?").
You are right in a way and I said it in other thread that we all have a different view on what a bargain is. Spain is flooded with apartments and estate agents love telling people that prices are increasing and now's the time to buy, so people start believing they are getting a bargain.

It's fine if you don't know what to do with your money, but people with a limited budget should always be cautious if they're planning retirement. Where Brits buy, you'll now only find a lot of overpriced, or realistically priced apartments, but it's certainly not a bargain if you have to pay £60K for a small apartment.

Last edited by Moses2013; Mar 16th 2016 at 8:49 am.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Caron and Mike, Welcome to the forum

We've recently purchased an apartment in a small village near formentera del segura and we love the place. However, before we bought, we rented in various locations for 1 to 3 month periods over the last 4 years. We rented for a total of 7 months in our village before taking the plunge and buying the property.

I would strongly recommend renting before buying....We rented in some places we initially thought were wonderful until we'd been there a month or so. Then we discovered that things like "walking distance to amenities", "proportion of Spanish to Expat neighbours" and "quiet evenings" were important to us.

You will probably find that as you spend more time in Spain your initial wish list & priorities will change.....Easy to do something about this if you're renting, more difficult if you've bought.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 9:38 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bolton wanderer
Hi Caron and Mike, Welcome to the forum

We've recently purchased an apartment in a small village near formentera del segura and we love the place. However, before we bought, we rented in various locations for 1 to 3 month periods over the last 4 years. We rented for a total of 7 months in our village before taking the plunge and buying the property.

I would strongly recommend renting before buying....We rented in some places we initially thought were wonderful until we'd been there a month or so. Then we discovered that things like "walking distance to amenities", "proportion of Spanish to Expat neighbours" and "quiet evenings" were important to us.

You will probably find that as you spend more time in Spain your initial wish list & priorities will change.....Easy to do something about this if you're renting, more difficult if you've bought.
Excellent advice there, what might well suit as a holiday home may well NOT be the best place to retire to, I would suggest renting, particularly spending time there during winter, it's not all sun you know, it can get very cold at night and Spanish homes are not noted for their insulation. We bought initially, and there was nothing wrong with the place or the area (Playa Flamenca), but we did see the crash coming and sold quickly and then went to renting. The great thing with renting is that you CAN try different areas, and had we not decided to return to the UK would have settled in Albir, just a few Km north of Benidorm, nice and quiet, not too busy in summer but near enough (short bus ride) to Benidorm if we wanted that sort of thing.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 11:48 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

There are many locations and literally thousands of homes available within your budget which would meet your requirements.

<advert snipped> You know the rules.

Last edited by Rosemary; Mar 16th 2016 at 4:53 pm. Reason: No advertising.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.