Reload this Page >

Starting buisness in benidorm

Starting buisness in benidorm

Old Mar 31st 2007, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

DavidandJo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting buisness in benidorm

Hi there,

We are just looking for a bit of advice/tips really.

We are thinking of starting our own coffee shop in benidorm, we have started looking a properties, but we aren't too sure on the legal side of things yet.

Does anyone have any advice or tips for us who have their own bars/shops in spain. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David and Jo
Old Mar 31st 2007, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting buisness in benidorm

Originally Posted by DavidandJo
Hi there,

We are thinking of starting our own coffee shop in benidorm, we have started looking a properties, but we aren't too sure on the legal side of things yet.

Does anyone have any advice or tips for us who have their own bars/shops in spain. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David and Jo

you need to speak to a gestor to get the best advice

good luck with your business
Old Mar 31st 2007, 2:09 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Thanks

David and Jo
Hi both

I really don't want to be the pouringcoldwateronit person or be unneccesarily negative , but have you researched this fully. Have you counted the number of coffee shops in Benidorm, and also the bars that all sell coffee also. The largest of them are patisseries and stock a huge amount of cakes and stuff, and theres a few that have evening entertainment. Thats not to mention the hotels with their coffee bars also. Honestly, they are all over the place and unless you have some kind of unusual theme to promote it then I think it would be the last sort of business I'd be thinking of unless maybe its an existing proven going concern.

Apologies if you've thought this out well and already identified the pitfalls, but if not then please think very carefully before committing significant amounts of money.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 2:17 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Hi both

I really don't want to be the pouringcoldwateronit person or be unneccesarily negative , but have you researched this fully. Have you counted the number of coffee shops in Benidorm, and also the bars that all sell coffee also. The largest of them are patisseries and stock a huge amount of cakes and stuff, and theres a few that have evening entertainment. Thats not to mention the hotels with their coffee bars also. Honestly, they are all over the place and unless you have some kind of unusual theme to promote it then I think it would be the last sort of business I'd be thinking of unless maybe its an existing proven going concern.

Apologies if you've thought this out well and already identified the pitfalls, but if not then please think very carefully before committing significant amounts of money.

glad you were first!

And it's not just Benidorm.............I know people who have opened bars/coffee shops in other areas, and it is such a hard way of life here. I was in restuarant/bar management in the UK & the hours were bad enough there......there is NO WAY I would want to work the hours they do here.

One family I know (5 adults) have so far been successful, but that's mostly because there are 5 of them, and they still have to employ staff! Even with what they thought was 'eyes wide open', they still had trouble paying the rent over the winter, with no staff to pay. This, even though they had been incredibly busy all summer, & thought they had budgeted for a 'dead' winter.

Also, you don't say how old you are, or if you have any experience in the field, which may help you get more informed opinions

Last edited by lynnxa; Mar 31st 2007 at 2:47 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 2:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
glad you were first!

And it's not just Benidorm.............I know people who have opened bars/coffee shops in other areas, and it is such a hard way of life here. I was in restuarant/bar management in the UK & the hours were bad enough there......there is NO WAY I would want to work the hours they do here.

One family I know (5 adults) have so far been successful, but that's mostly bes=cause there are 5 of them, and they still have to employ staff! Even with what they thought was 'eyes wide open', they still had trouble paying the rent over the winter, with no staff to pay. This, even though they had been incredibly busy all summer, & thought they had budgeted for a 'dead' winter.

I forgot to mention ..... a cafe con leche round these parts costs about 1 euro 25 cents ...... you've got to sell a lot of coffee!
Old Mar 31st 2007, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

DavidandJo is an unknown quantity at this point

We are only 22, we love it in spain and want to move over there and start some sort of cafe/bar. Its just the financial aspect of it, as you say they are so many already. It would have to be different in some way for it to work out.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 3:28 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

We are only 22, we love it in spain and want to move over there and start some sort of cafe/bar. Its just the financial aspect of it, as you say they are so many already. It would have to be different in some way for it to work out.
Have you thought of getting a job in a cafe/bar first just to get the feel of it? That way you can gain experience and decide if it's for you before you commit to anything and pay out any money.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 3:31 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Have you thought of getting a job in a cafe/bar first just to get the feel of it? That way you can gain experience and decide if it's for you before you commit to anything and pay out any money.
good idea
Old Mar 31st 2007, 4:40 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

I forgot to mention ..... a cafe con leche round these parts costs about 1 euro 25 cents ...... you've got to sell a lot of coffee!
Hey it is only a Euro here or sometimes 80 cents LOL
I bet you have fancy cups LOL
Old Mar 31st 2007, 4:43 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Coffee, diet coke, two pitafo`s mixto, 5.70 €`s, its hard work ;-)
Old Mar 31st 2007, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Thanks

David and Jo

We live in Albir (moved here in January) and wanted to do the same thing (although we are probably your Mum and Dad's ages!!). I have to say having looked at loads of bars and cafe/bars in Benidorm it is too bigger a risk. There are far too many and unless you have an idea of something that is totally different to every other place you will find it very hard. The bars have to try and undercut to get the business and it is OK saying that a glass of beer costs 1€ and you only paid 50c for it but you have to take into account all the other costs (so in efect you are not making any profit). You must have money behind you so that you can purchase the business and having a minimum of at least one year's running costs behind you. Some of the bars are filthy - a lot are not trading - no one tells the truth about how much they earn and you do have to be very careful with the commercial estate agents (we have already learnt the hard way). Please don't also forget if you are in the same boat as us you also have to earn enough money to rent a property and the costs associated with that.

Having said all that I wish you the very best of luck and if I can be of any further help do pm me.

xx
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Gestoria is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello DavidandJo,

Starting a business in Spain can be daunting if you don't speak the language, but don't be put off by that. In Benidorm, I don't know, but there must be several English speaking Gestores that will be able to guide you.

They will advise you on the legal form of the business self employed or company limited, help you acquire the licence to open the cafe/bar, advise you on the tax implications and social security commitments, review or prepare your purchase/rental contract and for a monthly fee even prepare your accounts and register your documents monthly or quarterly with the spanish tax office and social security.

In other words you don't have to be an expert in fiscal matters just make sure you make good coffee and sell plenty of it.

Good luck
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gestoria
Hello DavidandJo,

Starting a business in Spain can be daunting if you don't speak the language, but don't be put off by that. In Benidorm, I don't know, but there must be several English speaking Gestores that will be able to guide you.

They will advise you on the legal form of the business self employed or company limited, help you acquire the licence to open the cafe/bar, advise you on the tax implications and social security commitments, review or prepare your purchase/rental contract and for a monthly fee even prepare your accounts and register your documents monthly or quarterly with the spanish tax office and social security.

In other words you don't have to be an expert in fiscal matters just make sure you make good coffee and sell plenty of it.

Good luck
We have found a very good one in Albir (cannot speak English but there is someone in the office who sits in on the meetings and translates). Tells you how it is which is what people like you and I need.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 3:13 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Coffee, diet coke, two pitafo`s mixto, 5.70 €`s, its hard work ;-)

Back in my day, a carajillo, copa and faria only cost 20 duros- as the locals would say.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice

Originally Posted by SueG
We live in Albir (moved here in January) and wanted to do the same thing (although we are probably your Mum and Dad's ages!!). I have to say having looked at loads of bars and cafe/bars in Benidorm it is too bigger a risk. There are far too many and unless you have an idea of something that is totally different to every other place you will find it very hard. The bars have to try and undercut to get the business and it is OK saying that a glass of beer costs 1€ and you only paid 50c for it but you have to take into account all the other costs (so in efect you are not making any profit). You must have money behind you so that you can purchase the business and having a minimum of at least one year's running costs behind you. Some of the bars are filthy - a lot are not trading - no one tells the truth about how much they earn and you do have to be very careful with the commercial estate agents (we have already learnt the hard way). Please don't also forget if you are in the same boat as us you also have to earn enough money to rent a property and the costs associated with that.

Having said all that I wish you the very best of luck and if I can be of any further help do pm me.

xx
Be aware very aware in Fuengirola for instance many of the Commercial agents sell these businesses time and time again to the majority of unsuspecting customers who think that a Bar/Cafe is everyones dream, but as has been pointed out on here many times it is sheer hard work for very little reward.

Just look up how much you need to earn just to pay your Modelo + apartment rent +electric,water,heating of some sort + some form of transport + insurances .......very difficult to make the figures stack up.

And all of this without any profit for the future