Reload this Page >

Starting a Bed and Breakfast, Spain

Starting a Bed and Breakfast, Spain

Old Sep 24th 2016, 10:27 am
Just Joined

raggadj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting a Bed and Breakfast, Spain

Hey guys

My partner and I are thinking of moving to Spain to start a bed and breakfast. We are currently looking at places in the Valencia/Alicante region.

Does anyone know how difficult/time consuming it is to get licensed as a b&B in Spain? Ideally we would buy an existing business, but there are not that many on the market that tick our boxes so we are looking at the possibility of renovating and starting from scratch, but have no clue about the cost of getting it licensed etc.
Any advise?

thanks
Old Sep 24th 2016, 10:30 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting a Bed and Breakfast, Spain

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 24th 2016, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't comment on the viability of starting such a business, but airbnb must have knocked a hole into this field.
I know of two friends who are using airbnb to rent out rooms in their properties. Don't know how widespread this is in Spain, but one more thing for the tax authorities to look at I think if this expands.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 12:53 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raggadj
Hey guys

My partner and I are thinking of moving to Spain to start a bed and breakfast. We are currently looking at places in the Valencia/Alicante region.

Does anyone know how difficult/time consuming it is to get licensed as a b&B in Spain? Ideally we would buy an existing business, but there are not that many on the market that tick our boxes so we are looking at the possibility of renovating and starting from scratch, but have no clue about the cost of getting it licensed etc.
Any advise?

thanks
I know of someone in the Valencia region, who, after 9 years finally gave up trying to get a licence.

Having done everything requested (serially), they finally gave up when they were told that they didn't have enough land (??!) Their neighbour offered to sell them what they needed but on the basis that not only was the land priced very highly, but they were demanding a percentage of all future takings (not profits but takings).
Old Sep 24th 2016, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

raggadj is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I know of someone in the Valencia region, who, after 9 years finally gave up trying to get a licence.

Having done everything requested (serially), they finally gave up when they were told that they didn't have enough land (??!) Their neighbour offered to sell them what they needed but on the basis that not only was the land priced very highly, but they were demanding a percentage of all future takings (not profits but takings).
Thanks for the heads up Snikpoh. Some of the properties we are looking at are currently trading as B&Bs but with licenses pending. Do you know if that is legal?

I also notice you link to Costa Blanca holiday apartments near Ontinyent in your signature, are you in the market yourself? If so, any more tips or warnings you can share would be highly appreciated.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 12:24 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
Can't comment on the viability of starting such a business, but airbnb must have knocked a hole into this field.
I know of two friends who are using airbnb to rent out rooms in their properties. Don't know how widespread this is in Spain, but one more thing for the tax authorities to look at I think if this expands.

Airbnb is huge here (it's actually the world's largest, worth about $25 billion). And yes, if you don't have a licence here, you'll likely get clobbered in short order. But you can get a licence here (there are a set of rules!), and you do pay 19.5% tax on your earnings.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

bubble1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I am thinking of moving to Spain. with a hope of buying land and building a couple of villas, one to live in and one to rent. what are the costs of living in Spain and tax etc. I am looking at the Pinoso area. is it a huge hassle to rent out holiday villas and what sort of budget will I need for monthly expense.
We are both in our 50s and aren't bothered about the glam lifestyle. We like the quite life, could we live a reasonable life with just one villa to rent or would we need two. with just one we would have a good safety net in the bank and probably be able to keep a small flat in Kent that we would rent out. I would be looking for a job teaching English as I have a CELTA. My husband is a fully qualified Heating Engineer and could easily deal with Air Con.

Many thanks
Emma
Old Sep 28th 2016, 1:24 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bubble1970
Hi
I am thinking of moving to Spain. with a hope of buying land and building a couple of villas, one to live in and one to rent. what are the costs of living in Spain and tax etc. I am looking at the Pinoso area. is it a huge hassle to rent out holiday villas and what sort of budget will I need for monthly expense.
We are both in our 50s and aren't bothered about the glam lifestyle. We like the quite life, could we live a reasonable life with just one villa to rent or would we need two. with just one we would have a good safety net in the bank and probably be able to keep a small flat in Kent that we would rent out. I would be looking for a job teaching English as I have a CELTA. My husband is a fully qualified Heating Engineer and could easily deal with Air Con.

Many thanks
Emma
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 28th 2016, 2:07 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raggadj
Thanks for the heads up Snikpoh. Some of the properties we are looking at are currently trading as B&Bs but with licenses pending. Do you know if that is legal?

I also notice you link to Costa Blanca holiday apartments near Ontinyent in your signature, are you in the market yourself? If so, any more tips or warnings you can share would be highly appreciated.
Hi, no, I have a couple of holiday apartments that I rent out. This is quite different to B&B or a casa rural as it's known in Spain.

I can't believe that it's legal to operate whilst the 'licence is pending'.